Islam forum

To discuss Islam topics and issues

Moderator: Moderators

dusk
Sage

Islam forum

Post #1

Post by dusk »

Due to recent events I thought I might try to get opinions on muslim boards to see how their perception of events is.
The first one I picked must have been a poor choice. So I wonder if somebody knows one with intelligent, honest critical members like this forum here. I see no point in debating mostly fundamentalists and constantly arguing about conspiracy theories with members that show no ability for self reflection.
Wie? ist der Mensch nur ein Fehlgriff Gottes? Oder Gott nur ein Fehlgriff des Menschen?
How is it? Is man one of God's blunders or is God one of man's blunders?

- Friedrich Nietzsche

Pazuzu bin Hanbi
Sage

Post #2

Post by Pazuzu bin Hanbi »

That pretty much sums up the majority of them. Back when I used to follow Islam I ended up abandoning all the forums (except ummah.com) because I couldn’t stand the ungodly levels of idiocy present.
لا إلـــــــــــــــــــــــــــه

dusk
Sage

Post #3

Post by dusk »

So is ummah just one that you didn't drop completely or is it worth a look too.
I never had a great deal of interest into Islam as a religion. I kind of always assumed they are also just like the Christians. A few fundi idiots and a majority of very normal people with some similarly strange believes base on a holy book and surrounding a monotheist god. Now I feel a little like there are way more fundi idiots than I hoped and almost exclusively so on this one forum which all in all didn't look like some islamist forum at all.
Nobody seems to be interested in any kind of serious discussion. They are immediately insulted, extremely defensive and seem like insecure teenager who live in phantasy land. Conspiracy theorist and no interest in grey matter or trying to understand opposite viewpoints for a fruitful discussion.
Wie? ist der Mensch nur ein Fehlgriff Gottes? Oder Gott nur ein Fehlgriff des Menschen?

- Friedrich Nietzsche

Darias
Guru

Post #4

Post by Darias »

If you're looking for a discussion about politics in the Middle East, I wouldn't necessarily go to a Muslim forum, just as I wouldn't go to just any old Christian forum for a serious discussion about politics in this country. This forum is the exception though :)

I'd just search for Middle Eastern political forums; there should be some in English. There are a lot of political activists in the Middle East and so you should get a lot of different perspectives.

EDIT: Bit of a warning though; you will find a lot of conspiracy theories. Most people living in the Middle East don't trust their governments and usually don't have free press, therefor conspiracy theories run rampant. There is also a lot of distrust of Israel and the United States - especially in Egypt; Israel is like Soviet Russia for them.

dusk
Sage

Post #5

Post by dusk »

Seems like a better idea. Thanks.

- Friedrich Nietzsche

Pazuzu bin Hanbi
Sage

Post #6

Post by Pazuzu bin Hanbi »

Ummah was pretty nasty too, but there were a couple of people on there that I liked (one of them a Jew, the other an apostate!) and one of them (the apostate) was pretty instrumental in easing my passage into apostasy. Eventually I posted a thread about apostatising on there and they deleted it after a while.
لا إلـــــــــــــــــــــــــــه