"Libyans storm militia in backlash of attack on US"

Current issues and things in the news

Moderator: Moderators

Darias
Guru

"Libyans storm militia in backlash of attack on US"

Post #1

Post by Darias »

I'm a bit speechless and a bit glad in a way. I couldn't believe it at first... it's like a scene from a parallel universe. It must be opposite day or something... idk... just... wow.

http://news.yahoo.com/libyans-storm-mil ... 17193.html

Not sure what to make of this. Any thoughts?

100%atheist
Prodigy

Re: "Libyans storm militia in backlash of attack on US&

Post #2

Post by 100%atheist »

Darias wrote: I'm a bit speechless and a bit glad in a way. I couldn't believe it at first... it's like a scene from a parallel universe. It must be opposite day or something... idk... just... wow.

People of Libya like rioting ? ...

100%atheist
Prodigy

Re: "Libyans storm militia in backlash of attack on US&

Post #3

Post by 100%atheist »

Darias wrote: I'm a bit speechless and a bit glad in a way. I couldn't believe it at first... it's like a scene from a parallel universe. It must be opposite day or something... idk... just... wow.

People of Libya like rioting?...

Maybe, if they were chained to their work as people in China or in the US, they would have no time for rioting.
When [strike]solders[/strike] people have extra time, it is an emergency situation.

micatala
Site Supporter

Post #4

Post by micatala »

The article includes:
No deaths were reported in the incident, which came after tens of thousands marched in Benghazi against armed militias. One vehicle was also burned at the compound.

What I make of it is that some of those in the Mid-East who are moderates and not enamored of their radical co-religionists are deciding to do something about it. Given the status of Libya now, it is certainly easier for them to do so with less fear of violent reaction on the part of said extremists.

It certainly indicates broad-brush characterizations of all Muslims as U.S hating, bin Laden loving radicals is more than a bit off the mark.

Now, some will ask why this does not happen on a wider basis, or why it did not happen sooner.

My general comment will be that people who are dissatisfied are less likely to protest or take other actions if they perceive taking action will be highly risky. To overcome that tendency, you either need to have a situation that is so bad they come to the conclusion they have nothing to lose or might as well die anyway, or a change in the situation providing some reason for hope of success and less risk of being killed.

In Syria, I think it is fair to say both dynamics are somewhat in play. In Libya, more the latter. Similarly in Egypt.

One other thing I think this indicates is that we are getting a benefit for having been on the people's side in Libya. We have gained some political capital and good will there as a result. I am sure it is not universal, but it IS present and it is strong enough that some are willing to publicly support us.

Tens of thousands of people protesting, at least in part against the killing of our Ambassador, is a pretty significant event, in my view.
" . . . the line separating good and evil passes, not through states, nor between classes, nor between political parties either, but right through every human heart . . . ." Alexander Solzhenitsyn