Obama Backs Gay Marriage

Current issues and things in the news

Moderator: Moderators

His Name Is John
Site Supporter

Obama Backs Gay Marriage

Post #1

Post by His Name Is John »

Probably old news to most here, but as no one else was discussing it, I thought I might bring it up:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-18014102

I think the 'gay marriage' issue is different to the 'is homosexuality moral' issue. In England most people don't really have a problem with homosexuals, and support civil-unions, however recently when our Prime Minister brought up trying to push through gay marriage, there was a huge backlash from all parties and many within the gay community.

This seems to be a risky move by Obama, and it will be interesting to see if a similar backlash happens in the USA as it did in England.

Discussion: Is this Obama pandering for votes? Is it going to do more harm to his presidential re-election campaign than good? Should gay marriage be legal? What about civil unions?
“People generally quarrel because they cannot argue.�
- G.K. Chesterton

“A detective story generally describes six living men discussing how it is that a man is dead. A modern philosophic story generally describes six dead men discussing how any man can possibly be alive.�
- G.K. Chesterton

NVIIIX1
Apprentice

Re: Obama Backs Gay Marriage

Post #51

Post by NVIIIX1 »

"We don't live in theocracies. We no longer put people to death, or punish them for sins, on the sole authority of a religion. "

Yes, yes they do.

My continent, my country and the six others I can think of use religion as a guide to determine who lives and who dies. It's more effective. It's more efficient. It's cheaper. It's based on the clearest platform of authority namely "thus saith the Lord"

be it Christian or in my case Islam.

Apparently life extends beyond the Canadian imagination.

Brian Of Nazareth
Student

Post #52

Post by Brian Of Nazareth »

I hope Obama does bring it in. It'll be worth it purely to annoy the homophobes.

I don't have a problem with it being called civil union or marriage, as long as it affords them the same legal rights and protections under the law as heterosexual marriage.

I wouldn't force churches to perform the ceremonies if it goes against sensibilities but as far as I'm aware that isn't proposed anyway.

What's wrong with a bit of live and let live?

NVIIIX1
Apprentice

Post #53

Post by NVIIIX1 »

Brian Of Nazareth wrote:
What's wrong with a bit of live and let live?
And how refreshing if statists could no longer define the American value system.

According to him "Going it alone" isn't an American value . . . .

Bust Nak
Savant

Post #54

Post by Bust Nak »

NVIIIX1 wrote: And all the villagers cheered . . . .

:|

So much for honest discussion of faith and politics
You could have got the same message accross without the words "detestable" or "demonic."

NVIIIX1
Apprentice

Post #55

Post by NVIIIX1 »

Bust Nak wrote:
NVIIIX1 wrote: And all the villagers cheered . . . .

:|

So much for honest discussion of faith and politics
You could have got the same message accross without the words "detestable" or "demonic."
The language is relevant to the topic as our president claims Christendom and the concepts I chose were from the scriptures.

The word "detestable" (found in Leviticus 18:22 (NIV) to define the very thing Obama celebrates.

"Demonic" I chose as it deals directly with mob mentality, group-think, and the new ammoral orthodoxy where up is down and good is evil.

Consider Luke 8 . . . .the demons know Jesus, want nothing of him, think as one, would rather inhabit pigs and drown.

A secular perspective comes fromm French psychologist Gustave Le Bon in his book "The Crowd: A Study of the Popular Mind--a amazing take on techniques used to incite mob rule.

Look at the recent meme--the fight against "homophobia", the fight against intolerance, the gay-rights events, the "human rights" campaigns exported to Uganda and other parts of Africa, the "hate crime" laws in the west and parts of Europe.

And now the empty chair president finds wisdom to rubber stamp gay marriage---whatever that is.

It's as if he's fetched the demon possessed pigs out of the water, given them CPR and given them room and board at the Four Seasons.

Thanks for asking.

McCulloch
Site Supporter

Post #56

Post by McCulloch »

NVIIIX1 wrote: "We don't live in theocracies. We no longer put people to death, or punish them for sins, on the sole authority of a religion. "

Yes, yes they do.

My continent, my country and the six others I can think of use religion as a guide to determine who lives and who dies. It's more effective. It's more efficient. It's cheaper. It's based on the clearest platform of authority namely "thus saith the Lord"

In most of Europe, North America, Australia and civilized countries in the other continents, religious faith is not the basis for legislation or criminal law. "Thus saith the Lord" is not a clear platform of authority because we have no reliable record of what, if anything, the Lord has communicated to humanity. All we have are the proclamations of self-appointed spokesmen for the Lord: Moses, the Prophets, Jesus, the Apostles, Mohammed and the others.

The Universal Declaration was adopted by most of the countries in the world, include provisions for
  • Article 2.

Everyone is entitled to all the rights and freedoms set forth in this Declaration, without distinction of any kind, such as race, colour, sex, language, religion, political or other opinion, national or social origin, property, birth or other status.
  • Article 18.

Everyone has the right to freedom of thought, conscience and religion; this right includes freedom to change his religion or belief, and freedom, either alone or in community with others and in public or private, to manifest his religion or belief in teaching, practice, worship and observance.
Yes, the recognition of human rights extends beyond the Canadian imagination.
Examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
First Epistle to the Church of the Thessalonians
The truth will make you free.
Gospel of John

NVIIIX1
Apprentice

Post #57

Post by NVIIIX1 »

McCulloch wrote:
NVIIIX1 wrote: "We don't live in theocracies. We no longer put people to death, or punish them for sins, on the sole authority of a religion. "

Yes, yes they do.

In most of Europe, North America, Australia and civilized countries in the other continents, religious faith is not the basis for legislation or criminal law. "Thus saith the Lord" is not a clear platform of authority because we have no reliable record of what, if anything, the Lord has communicated to humanity. All we have are the proclamations of self-appointed spokesmen for the Lord: Moses, the Prophets, Jesus, the Apostles, Mohammed and the others.

The Universal Declaration was adopted by most of the countries in the world, include provisions for
  • Article 2.

Everyone is entitled to all the rights and freedoms set forth in this Declaration, without distinction of any kind, such as race, colour, sex, language, religion, political or other opinion, national or social origin, property, birth or other status.
  • Article 18.

Everyone has the right to freedom of thought, conscience and religion; this right includes freedom to change his religion or belief, and freedom, either alone or in community with others and in public or private, to manifest his religion or belief in teaching, practice, worship and observance.
Yes, the recognition of human rights extends beyond the Canadian imagination.
Can't wait until they bring that tripe to Africa and try to sell it . . . . . What fun.
O:)