Most effective means of evangelism?

To solve world problems

Moderator: Moderators

QuietMan1980
Student

Most effective means of evangelism?

Post #1

Post by QuietMan1980 »

This question is addressed toward Christians. What would you suggest is the best means of evangelism and spreading the gospel message?

I am looking for suggestions for what people view is the most effective means for sharing our faith in the current cultural climate.

Should we:
-Use social media?
-Distribute tracts?
-Engage people at work?
-Volunteer?
-Engage others in debate?

Believe it or not, I have heard some people object to some of the means that I have listed above, so I am looking for your opinions.

Awediot
Student

Re: Most effective means of evangelism?

Post #11

Post by Awediot »

QuietMan1980 wrote:This question is addressed toward Christians. What would you suggest is the best means of evangelism and spreading the gospel message?

I am looking for suggestions for what people view is the most effective means for sharing our faith in the current cultural climate.

Should we:
-Use social media?
-Distribute tracts?
-Engage people at work?
-Volunteer?

Believe it or not, I have heard some people object to some of the means that I have listed above, so I am looking for your opinions.

A couple things... Has the world gotten to the point where everyone has heard it all before? Are there still people out there that have never heard of The Bible, or have no clue what the iconic image of a man nailed to a cross to die signifies in human history? Are there still wholly isolated primitive tribes missionaries have missed? (and are they any more condemned for their innocent ignorance? Or, are there cultures where Christianity has been so criminalized, it's people have zero exposure to it?

Simply telling people seems antiquated (and accomplished) these days...

So, like many have said...walk the walk. Live it. Practice what you preach...and quit just preaching. (That we speak of a perfection we cannot live up to, condemning actions we still do, makes Christians the ideal hypocrite...and we cannot help that... Only those with really low standards are never hypocritical)... Then, if you are a 'GOOD' Christian, who ever asks you why your such a decent person; much less thinks it must be your religion and decides to believe as you do to make them self a better person?

How to best "evangelize" is a tough question... The Bible describes a younger, more ignorant earth and nations that needed to be introduced to Jesus... It no longer exists and the good book is pretty quiet about how to reach people as the end approaches...

Personally, God proved Himself to me by disproving, by disqualifying everything else... He is the one thing we dare not be wrong about... That approach is unsettling, and rejected as fear mongering. But denying the dread doesn't make the potential threat go away. It still corners us... Don't let people deny it...

Also...it is amazing how much of Christianity people agree with, as long as Jesus isn't directly mentioned, or they realize it is Christianity you are talking about... It's only when that infamous name is mentioned (or heaven/hell, judgment day, Armageddon...) that the wall of defenses pops up to deflect all that old school thinking. We all know something huge is looming on the horizon...that other dimensions might exist, that we could survive death...just keep it out of the Biblical context...

Strange days.

Divine Insight
Savant

Post #12

Post by Divine Insight »

QuietMan1980 wrote: Should we:
-Use social media?
-Distribute tracts?
-Engage people at work?
-Volunteer?
-Engage people at work? <-- Isn't that illegal?

How about trying the following:

- Be Perfect as your Father in Heaven is Perfect.

Then you won't need to worry about evangelizing at all. People will simply inquire how you came to be so perfect, and you can just tell them.

They might even ask you while you're at work and then you'll have an excuse to be exempt from the law when you tell them that you are just doing as Jesus has commanded.

still_learning

Post #13

Post by still_learning »

QuietMan1980 wrote: This question is addressed toward Christians. What would you suggest is the best means of evangelism and spreading the gospel message?

Should we:
-Use social media?
-Distribute tracts?
-Engage people at work?
-Volunteer?

How about just living it? Certainly engaging others in debate or discussion can be done in forums like this, tracts can be made available to those who want them, etc. , but the best way is probably just living your life in a manner that makes others interested in what you believe. I think Red Jacket gave the best suggestion. When asked to allow missionaries to teach his tribe, he responded in part:

"Brother, we are told that you have been preaching to the white people in this place. These people are our neighbors. We are acquainted with them. We will wait a little while and see what effect your preaching has upon them. If we find it does them good, makes them honest, and less disposed to cheat Indians, we will then consider again of what you have said."

(full speech here: http://www.bartleby.com/268/8/3.html#txt1)

Untraveled Trail
Student

Post #14

Post by Untraveled Trail »

I suggest living a Christ-like life... be a living example. Love God and neighbor... Feed the hungry, give drink to the thirsty, clothe the naked, and visit the sick and imprisoned.

The tracts I've seen are laughable and utterly worthless. Social media? In today's world its another distraction and borders on visual pollution with all the other ads, signs, and visual stimulation biding for one's attention.

Live according to the life and teachings of Jesus. Offer love, acceptance, forgiveness without judgment and help others. If others ask you about your faith, share without being overbearing. If they don't ask, don't tell. They'll respect you for your actions more than your words and if your words don't match the actions, its foolishness.
People seldom do what they believe in. They just do what's most convenient and then repent.

McCulloch
Site Supporter

Post #15

Post by McCulloch »

QuietMan1980 wrote: This question is addressed toward Christians. What would you suggest is the best means of evangelism and spreading the gospel message?

Should we:
-Use social media?
-Distribute tracts?
-Engage people at work?
-Volunteer?

This just might be effective:
As Matthew 10:7-8 wrote:[font=Georgia]
And as you go, preach, saying, ‘The kingdom of heaven is at hand.’ Heal the sick, raise the dead, cleanse the lepers, cast out demons. Freely you received, freely give.
[/font]
Examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
First Epistle to the Church of the Thessalonians
The truth will make you free.
Gospel of John

YahDough
Under Probation

Post #16

Post by YahDough »

Should we:
-Use social media?
-Distribute tracts?
-Engage people at work?
-Volunteer?

If you can find a non-believer who will talk to you, socratic evangelism is effective. It's a head to head discourse with the evangelist asking the questions that will lead the person to Christ. It was the style of Socrates, who I expect to see in "heaven". Barna (I think his first name is George) talks about it in his book. "Evangelism That Works". It's worth reading.

Untraveled Trail
Student

Post #17

Post by Untraveled Trail »

Why is it so important to convince others to believe the same things you do? Living the life and teachings of Jesus should be enough. People will ask questions if they have interest.

I find the people who feel most compelled to evangelize others are the people who are least secure in their beliefs. They find affirmation and confirmation in others agreeing with them, especially if they get to put a notch on the holster for "winning" them. It seems more than a little egocentric. The gospel is about Jesus, not the individual's ego needs for affirmation.
People seldom do what they believe in. They just do what's most convenient and then repent.

Ooberman
Banned
Banned

Post #18

Post by Ooberman »

The proven way to gain converts:

1. Have lots of children, raise them in a specific religion.
2. Be part of a dominate religion in a first power Nation and force people to convert under threat of pain and death.
3. Have evidence.
4. Give people what they want or expect from a religion and tell them the other religions don't offer it.
5. Use fear of Hell.
6. Preach to young and impressionable people, or people who are in psychologically weak states, the mentally ill and depressed.

I know all of this sounds like I'm being cynical, but I think everyone sees these methods are tried and true.

I don't know many people who are sane, happy and comfortable with themselves who convert to religion.
Thinking about God's opinions and thinking about your own opinions uses an identical thought process. - Tomas Rees

Artur Axmann
Banned
Banned

Post #19

Post by Artur Axmann »

[Replying to post 1 by QuietMan1980]

try keeping your mouth shut; but do open your wallet.

Ooberman
Banned
Banned

Post #20

Post by Ooberman »

Should we:
-Use social media?
-Distribute tracts?
-Engage people at work?
-Volunteer?

None of those have or would convince me. The best way, IMO, is to live your life well and if someone asks, tell them it's because of your Faith in Jesus. That's all. What else does God need? A whole PR department?
Thinking about God's opinions and thinking about your own opinions uses an identical thought process. - Tomas Rees