What is the logic behind Jesus' crucifixion?

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Justin108
Banned
Banned

What is the logic behind Jesus' crucifixion?

Post #1

Post by Justin108 »

This is arguably the core of the Christian faith that Jesus died for our sins and made it possible for us to live for eternity in heaven... but why did Jesus have to die in order for us to have our sins forgiven?

God makes the rules. There is no "God HAD to sacrifice Jesus" because God can do anything.

Christians often say that God cannot let sin go unpunished as it would be unjust; but is it any more just to sacrifice an innocent man on behalf of a guilty man? If a man rapes a little girl and the man's brother offers to go to prison on his behalf, would this be justice?

If god is satisfied by punishment without guilt (Jesus), why is he not satisfied with guilt without punishment?

Justin108
Banned
Banned

Post #41

Post by Justin108 »

Tex wrote:
Justin108 wrote:
Tex wrote:
Tex wrote:
Justin108 wrote:
Tex wrote:
Justin108 wrote:
Tex wrote:
Justin108 wrote:
Tex wrote:

Insults???? That's funny....Who's going around putting up verses of the NT and trying to insult every Christian on this board?
Please...don't play the ignorant card....Like you really want to believe what we believe.

I am not trying to insult anyone. I am debating Christianity. That's what this forum is for incase you haven't noticed.

Are you interested in believing in CHrist who died for your sins? Or do you believe it to be just a superman comic?

You're confusing debating with preaching. I am here to participate in a formal argument about the validity of Christian dogma. I recommend reading the forum rules to understand the purpose of this forum. You don't seem to understand

Why? I want to know......Do you believe that the bible is true?

Nope

Very good then.....So you are here to show as Christian what a silly book we believe in.
You will put up verses of God's sacrifice and tell us how stupid God was for doing this.
Because if you were god, you would just snap your fingers and all would be good.
Because for some reason you know how god should work and not some stupid fairy tale book.

So you are going to show us backward believing Christian how it is done.
And since you know a better way....Then there can't be a GOD.

Your right....This site is about people who don't believe in God showing us Christians how silly are beliefs are.
I never learn.
Should just find a corner....So why don't I? Maybe it's just my PASSION.
I respond to reason. Not passion.

This is a debate forum. Here you will find Christians who say Atheists are wrong and you will find Atheists who say Christians are wrong. The purpose of debate is to demonstrate why the opposition is wrong. That is what this forum is all about. If you want to preach, then find someone who cares. If you are unwilling to debate, then I will have to ignore you. You are wasting my time

You mean "true" Since that's how the NT writer said it went down. You're not debating the fact that it is in the NT. You're trying to show the NT is just a made up lie.
Because if you were god...that's not how you would do it.
Oh just stop your bitching. If you don't want to debate the kindly piss off

olavisjo
Site Supporter

Post #42

Post by olavisjo »

Justin108 wrote: This is a debate forum. Here you will find Christians who say Atheists are wrong and you will find Atheists who say Christians are wrong. The purpose of debate is to demonstrate why the opposition is wrong. That is what this forum is all about. If you want to preach, then find someone who cares. If you are unwilling to debate, then I will have to ignore you. You are wasting my time
The purpose is to demonstrate why anyone including myself is wrong. Why tolerate error just because it supports your own "side"?
"I believe in no religion. There is absolutely no proof for any of them, and from a philosophical standpoint Christianity is not even the best. All religions, that is, all mythologies to give them their proper name, are merely man’s own invention..."

C.S. Lewis

Goat
Site Supporter

Re: What is the logic behind Jesus' crucifixion?

Post #43

Post by Goat »

Tex wrote:
Goat wrote:
Tex wrote:
Justin108 wrote:
This is arguably the core of the Christian faith that Jesus died for our sins and made it possible for us to live for eternity in heaven... but why did Jesus have to die in order for us to have our sins forgiven?

God makes the rules. There is no "God HAD to sacrifice Jesus" because God can do anything.

Christians often say that God cannot let sin go unpunished as it would be unjust; but is it any more just to sacrifice an innocent man on behalf of a guilty man? If a man rapes a little girl and the man's brother offers to go to prison on his behalf, would this be justice?

If god is satisfied by punishment without guilt (Jesus), why is he not satisfied with guilt without punishment?

You see.....The thing about God, is that God is the "master planner" And God will always do thing that we as humans will never understand.
So your question are just that....A way of trying to hurt are beliefs.

How can I, a creation ever understand God? IN the things I do....I Do. IN the thing I do not I must trust. I trust God because he was willing to give up that which he loved the most, in order to save what he could destroy in a blink of an eye.

We all have choices to make. One of them is to give your soul to God. If you do not, then you will never be able to withstand Satan.
Satan in heaven is too dangerous.
Can you show that 'God is the master planner'. Is that anything more than a statement of belief? Or , is that just an excuse to try to make sense of stories that otherwise don't make sense.

Can you provide any evidence that "God is a master planner', or is that just one of those 'unsupported claims' I keep on hearing about.

Read the NT.
I have. It has the aura of myth and legend to me.
“What do you think science is? There is nothing magical about science. It is simply a systematic way for carefully and thoroughly observing nature and using consistent logic to evaluate results. So which part of that exactly do you disagree with? Do you disagree with being thorough? Using careful observation? Being systematic? Or using consistent logic?�

Steven Novella

HiddenHand
Apprentice

Post #44

Post by HiddenHand »

There's an old saying.

If you can't take the heat, get your ass out the kitchen.

I don't understand why someone would come to a debate forum and get upset when someone challenges their views.

If you're such a good Christian and your faith is so strong, what are you worried about? I'm pretty sure the Jesus you know wouldn't react that way. By the traditional Christian view of him, he would probably "turn the other cheek".

Furthermore, if an atheist posts a bible verse it's to test it's consistency and interpretation. If you get upset at that all it shows is your intolerance and subsequently soft ego.

Get over it.

Cheers :)

Tex
Banned
Banned

Post #45

Post by Tex »

Goat wrote:
Tex wrote:
Goat wrote:
Tex wrote:
Justin108 wrote:

You see.....The thing about God, is that God is the "master planner" And God will always do thing that we as humans will never understand.
So your question are just that....A way of trying to hurt are beliefs.

How can I, a creation ever understand God? IN the things I do....I Do. IN the thing I do not I must trust. I trust God because he was willing to give up that which he loved the most, in order to save what he could destroy in a blink of an eye.

We all have choices to make. One of them is to give your soul to God. If you do not, then you will never be able to withstand Satan.
Satan in heaven is too dangerous.
Can you show that 'God is the master planner'. Is that anything more than a statement of belief? Or , is that just an excuse to try to make sense of stories that otherwise don't make sense.

Can you provide any evidence that "God is a master planner', or is that just one of those 'unsupported claims' I keep on hearing about.

Read the NT.
I have. It has the aura of myth and legend to me.

It's not. It's about real people and the history of the life of Christ.
So ....you don't have to believe it...But don't try and tell me it's not true.

What your truth based on?.....Nothing.
Like always..... atheism only offers death.

Peter
Guru

Post #46

Post by Peter »

What is the logic behind Jesus' Crucifixion?
A better question would be what's the logic behind christianity?

By the age of 10 I was already starting to recognize the illogic in christianity. By 11 I was starting to think there should be a "Check your brain at the door before entering" sign on every church. By 12 I knew I was incapable of jettisoning enough logic to have faith in christianity.

Now, 40 some years later I don't think christians are illogical as much as totally unable to see the lack of logic in their religion. Their overwhelming need for hope blinds them to the obvious truth that christianity, like numerous older religions, was invented by men and is only sustained by hope.

If we could find something real for people to put their hope in christianity would wither and die.
Religion is poison because it asks us to give up our most precious faculty, which is that of reason, and to believe things without evidence. It then asks us to respect this, which it calls faith. - Christopher Hitchens

Justin108
Banned
Banned

Post #47

Post by Justin108 »

olavisjo wrote:
Justin108 wrote: This is a debate forum. Here you will find Christians who say Atheists are wrong and you will find Atheists who say Christians are wrong. The purpose of debate is to demonstrate why the opposition is wrong. That is what this forum is all about. If you want to preach, then find someone who cares. If you are unwilling to debate, then I will have to ignore you. You are wasting my time
The purpose is to demonstrate why anyone including myself is wrong. Why tolerate error just because it supports your own "side"?
Fair enough. But he's doing neither

Justin108
Banned
Banned

Post #48

Post by Justin108 »

Tex wrote:

It's not. It's about real people and the history of the life of Christ.
Prove it

Tex wrote:
So ....you don't have to believe it...But don't try and tell me it's not true.
Why not?

Tex wrote:What your truth based on?.....Nothing..
What's your "truth" based on? The tales of dead men

Tex wrote: Like always..... atheism only offers death..
Is that why you're a Christian? Because you dislike the concept of death? Well telling yourself you won't die will not make it so. All men die. You will too. An unsavory truth is still a truth and the truth of the matter is we all die.

Justin108
Banned
Banned

Post #49

Post by Justin108 »

Peter wrote:
What is the logic behind Jesus' Crucifixion?
A better question would be what's the logic behind christianity?

A bit too general a question for me. A lie as big as Christianity is a stone wall that cannot be smashed in one blow. All we can hope to do is chip away with it piece by piece by exposing lie by lie

micatala
Site Supporter

Post #50

Post by micatala »

justin 108 wrote:
Oh just stop your bitching. If you don't want to debate the kindly piss off

:warning: Moderator Warning

This is very clearly uncivil and unproductive, as well as mildly profane.

Please review our Rules.

Moderator warnings count as a strike against users. Additional violations in the future may warrant a final warning. Any challenges or replies to moderator postings should be made via Private Message to avoid derailing topics.
" . . . the line separating good and evil passes, not through states, nor between classes, nor between political parties either, but right through every human heart . . . ." Alexander Solzhenitsyn