Question to Non-Christians

Argue for and against religions and philosophies which are not Christian

Moderator: Moderators

Truely Free
Apprentice

Question to Non-Christians

Post #1

Post by Truely Free »

To anyone who would not describe themselves as an Orthodox, Bible believing, Christian: what is one thing you would like specifically Christians, but in general people who don't share your particular belief system or philosophy to understand about you.

Truely Free
Apprentice

Sorry it took so long

Post #21

Post by Truely Free »

Hey guys, I'm sorry it's been a while. I really appreciated being able to come back and see some more of the fresh insight. Thanks for your honesty.
I was especially interested in two posts. Nilloc James
2. I recognize what religion has done good and bad - however neither of these speak to its factualness.
3. I feel love hate and the whole spectrum of human emotions without faith - nonbelievers are human
I appreciate your honesty and your observation as in regards to your second point.
As far as your third, I can easily see how you might get that feeling from Christians. Speaking as someone who has been immersed in faith for a long time it can be hard to understand opposing viewpoints. I'm sorry you have felt dehumanized.

Truely Free
Apprentice

continued

Post #22

Post by Truely Free »

Ionian_Tradition
That when I scrutinize your beliefs I do so with a genuine curiosity. My intentions are never malicious.
I really appreciate that! It can be very intimidating for a conservative Christian today. You may be speaking for only a small minority, but it is a good feeling for anyone to know that their opinions and beliefs are not only respected, but interesting.

southern cross
Banned
Banned

Re: continued

Post #23

Post by southern cross »

Truely Free wrote: Ionian_Tradition
That when I scrutinize your beliefs I do so with a genuine curiosity. My intentions are never malicious.
I really appreciate that! It can be very intimidating for a conservative Christian today. You may be speaking for only a small minority, but it is a good feeling for anyone to know that their opinions and beliefs are not only respected, but interesting.
Am I wrong in thinking that calvinists broke away from christianity? Do you still consider yourselves christians?

Truely Free
Apprentice

re southern cross

Post #24

Post by Truely Free »

I've never been asked that before, southern cross, but I will do my best to answer it.
I'm not sure what your own beliefs are. Calvinism isn't a religion, it is simply a way to understand Christianity, a delineation between certain Christian viewpoints, neither of which are central to Christianity. Both views were named after men who were influential in their coming about, the other view being Arminianism. Neither group is more or less Christian than the other...both stand upon Christian Doctrine and are found in different denominations (often both intermixed) and only the most extreme would label the other as being a cult or a false teaching.
I say this because I really am unsure what you know and I think you may be confusing Calvinism with something else, as I don't think Calvinism can survive without Christianity as a religion. Even the most legalistic Calvinist would consider themselves Christians.
The reason I use the word Calvinist to describe myself is because I have found that Atheists have a special distaste towards Calvinists, and knowledgeable Christians seem to be able to pick out heresy better when they understand which "sub-genre" you use. Calvinist in general (not for every person for sure!) tend to be more fundamentalist, historically more Orthodox, (not the Orthodox religion, they just tend to be less swayed by false teaching) and more Bible believing. Churches leaning in this direction are called "Reformed." Famous Calvinist you might recognize include Jonathan Edwards, Mark Driscoll, and John Piper. Well known Arminians include Apologist William Lane Craig, and Billy Graham.
So, long story short, yes I consider myself a Christian, in fact, Christian before Calvinist; the "Calvinist" tag is just to help people who want to debate with me understand my position better. When I argue a point that is distinct to Calvinism I usually point it out so as not to drag the entirely of Christianity in with me unwillingly :)
I'm sorry if I told you a bunch of stuff you already know, I just wasn't sure how to answer your question without defining it. I very well could be missing something, and if I don't know something, please inform me.

southern cross
Banned
Banned

Re: re southern cross

Post #25

Post by southern cross »

Truely Free wrote: I've never been asked that before, southern cross, but I will do my best to answer it.
I'm not sure what your own beliefs are. Calvinism isn't a religion, it is simply a way to understand Christianity, a delineation between certain Christian viewpoints, neither of which are central to Christianity. Both views were named after men who were influential in their coming about, the other view being Arminianism. Neither group is more or less Christian than the other...both stand upon Christian Doctrine and are found in different denominations (often both intermixed) and only the most extreme would label the other as being a cult or a false teaching.
I say this because I really am unsure what you know and I think you may be confusing Calvinism with something else, as I don't think Calvinism can survive without Christianity as a religion. Even the most legalistic Calvinist would consider themselves Christians.
The reason I use the word Calvinist to describe myself is because I have found that Atheists have a special distaste towards Calvinists, and knowledgeable Christians seem to be able to pick out heresy better when they understand which "sub-genre" you use. Calvinist in general (not for every person for sure!) tend to be more fundamentalist, historically more Orthodox, (not the Orthodox religion, they just tend to be less swayed by false teaching) and more Bible believing. Churches leaning in this direction are called "Reformed." Famous Calvinist you might recognize include Jonathan Edwards, Mark Driscoll, and John Piper. Well known Arminians include Apologist William Lane Craig, and Billy Graham.
So, long story short, yes I consider myself a Christian, in fact, Christian before Calvinist; the "Calvinist" tag is just to help people who want to debate with me understand my position better. When I argue a point that is distinct to Calvinism I usually point it out so as not to drag the entirely of Christianity in with me unwillingly :)
I'm sorry if I told you a bunch of stuff you already know, I just wasn't sure how to answer your question without defining it. I very well could be missing something, and if I don't know something, please inform me.
Thankyou very much for that explanation, that was most informative.