May one insult the pope satirically?

Religion in TV, Movies, Books, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

Hermione
Student

May one insult the pope satirically?

Post #1

Post by Hermione »

The magazine"Titanic" had taken a picture from the pope on the front and the back cover. Take a look by yourself:

It was all about that there was a leaky place in the Vatican by which information came to the public. The "leaky place" was the pope according to the magazine Titanic. In front peed and behind into the trousers shitted.
What do you think about this?[/img]

Hermione
Student

Post #11

Post by Hermione »

bluethread wrote: I plan on staying inside. Who knows when the roman catholics will take to the streets and start burning Angela Merkel in effegy and storming the german embassies. Then again, the muslims didn't riot until the youtube video was translated into arabic. Let me know when the latin version of the magazine comes out.
The RCC is involved indirectly in the power of government in many countries of Europe.They does much lobby work. So terminations of pregnancy are forbidden; the marriage for homosexuals not opened; and child abuser protected. Even if a Roman Catholic priest as a Teacher beats children, nothing happens to him by law.

Divine Insight
Savant

Post #12

Post by Divine Insight »

Hermione wrote: By protecting child abusers also in front of the police.
Ok. Maybe my faith in his good intentions is misplaced. ;)

I really don't pay enough attention to the Pope or Catholicism to really care to be perfectly honest about it. But I have heard that there has been child abuse going on by various priests and bishops. If the Pope tries to cover for them he's no better.

bluethread
Savant

Post #13

Post by bluethread »

Hermione wrote:
bluethread wrote: I plan on staying inside. Who knows when the roman catholics will take to the streets and start burning Angela Merkel in effegy and storming the german embassies. Then again, the muslims didn't riot until the youtube video was translated into arabic. Let me know when the latin version of the magazine comes out.
The RCC is involved indirectly in the power of government in many countries of Europe.They does much lobby work. So terminations of pregnancy are forbidden; the marriage for homosexuals not opened; and child abuser protected. Even if a Roman Catholic priest as a Teacher beats children, nothing happens to him by law.
So, are you saying that the RCC in germany is comparable to islam in Iran?

Hermione
Student

Post #14

Post by Hermione »

bluethread wrote: So, are you saying that the RCC in germany is comparable to islam in Iran?

Not as bad as in Iran but the RCC is removed from it non-too far. The RCC has a very big power in Germany. A power which they often abused.

A Troubled Man
Guru

Re: May one insult the pope satirically?

Post #15

Post by A Troubled Man »

Hermione wrote: May one insult the pope satirically?
Does the Pope make the world safe for pedophiles? :)

Nilloc James
Site Supporter

Post #16

Post by Nilloc James »

Do I like oppose orthodox religion? Yes.

Do I support free speech? Yes.

Do I value satire? Yes.

Do I value humor? Yes.

However, this is: not funny, not satire and the bottom of the barrel of speech.

If you are going to make something offensive at least make it have a point. The Danish cartoons had a valid point and were funny; these don't serve a point and are below childish.

Untraveled Trail
Student

Post #17

Post by Untraveled Trail »

I was no fan of Cardinal Ratzinger and had fewer affections for him as a Pope. I even believe he, like any other figure, is fair game for satire. This isn't satire and its tasteless. And the point? What is it?

Satire when done well has enough of the truth and enough parody that one recognizes each for what it is. This fails the test.
People seldom do what they believe in. They just do what's most convenient and then repent.