Latter Days - True or false?

Religion in TV, Movies, Books, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

The Ex-Mormon
Apprentice

Latter Days - True or false?

Post #1

Post by The Ex-Mormon »

I had borrowed the movie "Latter Days" on Saturday. For the ones who do not know the contents of the movie here a summary from Wikipedia:
Elder Aaron Davis (Steve Sandvoss), a young Mormon from Pocatello, Idaho, is sent to Los Angeles with three other missionaries to spread the Mormon faith. They move into an apartment next to openly gay party boy Christian Markelli (Wes Ramsey) and his roommate Julie, an aspiring singer. Christian and Julie work as waiters at Lila's, a trendy restaurant owned by retired actress Lila Montagne (Jacqueline Bisset).
Christian makes a bet with his co-workers that he can seduce one of the Mormons, and soon realizes that Aaron, the most inexperienced missionary, is a closeted homosexual. Aaron and Christian become acquainted after several encounters in the apartment complex. When Christian accidentally cuts himself on a metal hose reel and faints, Aaron helps him indoors and cleans his wound. Christian attempts to seduce Aaron, but the hesitant Mormon becomes upset by Christian's remark that sex "doesn't have to mean anything." Aaron accuses him of being shallow and walks out. Worried that Aaron is correct, Christian joins Project Angel Food, delivering meals to people with AIDS.
Aaron's fellow missionary, Paul Ryder (Joseph Gordon-Levitt), has a cycling accident. Returning to his apartment, a distraught Aaron encounters Christian, who tries to comfort him with a hug. Both men are overwhelmed by their feelings and end up kissing, failing to notice the return of Aaron's roommates. Aaron is sent home in disgrace, leading Christian to confront Ryder, who is angry that Christian corrupted Aaron for no reason. Christian admits that he initially just wanted to win a bet, but says "it's not about that" anymore. Recognizing Christian's distress, Ryder tells him that Aaron's flight has a five hour layover in Salt Lake City.
Christian finds Aaron standing in the snow outside the airport terminal. Christian confesses his love, and despite his misgivings, Aaron admits his own feelings of love. With all flights canceled due to a snowstorm, Christian and Aaron spend an intimate night in a motel. When Christian awakes, he finds Aaron gone. Aaron's pocketwatch, a family heirloom, has been left behind. Christian returns to Los Angeles. In Idaho, Aaron is excommunicated by the church elders, led by his own father, Farron (Jim Ortlieb), who is the stake president. Aaron is rejected by his father and scolded by his mother (Mary Kay Place), who tells him that he needs to pray for forgiveness. When Aaron suggests that he might be gay, his mother slaps him. Overwhelmed by despair, Aaron attempts suicide. He is subsequently sent by his parents to a treatment facility to be cured of his homosexuality.
Christian is desperate to find Aaron and locates his home address and phone number. Aaron's mother informs him that "Thanks to you, my son took a razor to his wrists; thanks to you I have lost my son." Believing that Aaron is dead, Christian spends the next few days thinking continually about Aaron. Julie discovers an entry about Christian's feelings in his cellphone journal and uses it as the basis for her new song. Christian travels to the Davis home in Idaho, where he tearfully returns Aaron's watch to his mother. During an encounter with Julie, she hesitantly shows him her new video, which upsets Christian, realizing that part of the lyrics came from his personal journal without his consent. Julie tells Christian that she hoped something good would come from it.
In the treatment facility, Aaron hears a female voice singing and investigates. He discovers a music video playing on television, the song performed by Julie. The video prompts Aaron to return to Los Angeles in search of Christian. Upon arriving at Christian's apartment, Aaron is heartbroken when a stranger answers the door. Thinking that Christian has returned to his party boy ways and moved on, and having nowhere else to go, Aaron makes his way to Lila's restaurant, having befriended the owner while on missionary work after her life partner died. Christian is overjoyed to see Aaron alive, they reconcile and later celebrate Thanksgiving with Christian's co-workers. Lila tells everyone that, no matter what, they will always have "a place at my table, and a place in my heart".
Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Latter_Days

Hers some quotes from the movie:

Christian to Aaron:

You want revelations engraved in gold and angels trumpeting down from heaven. What if this is it instead? Me telling you I love you right here in snow? I think that's pretty miraculous.

Aaron to Lila:

Do you ever read the Sunday comics? When I was a little kid, I used to put my face right up to them. And I was just amazed because it was just this mass of dots.
Life looks like that mass of dots to me sometimes. None of it makes any sense. But I like to think that, from God's perspective, life, everything--even this--makes
sense. It's not just dots. Instead we're all connected, and it's beautiful and funny and good.

Lila to Aaron:

Your church doesn't like alcohol or homosexuals? I'm definitely not joining. I can't imagine heaven without both.

This film has touched my heart very much. Not because of only the wonderful love story, but also because the LDS and their whole system was represented very much in an interesting way. At the hearing in front of the church court Aaron accuses his father who is also his bishop; the hypocrisy and the nastiness; because the LDS practiced the "alternative lifestyle" in form of the polygamy leadingly in the USA.
After the suicide attempt Aaaron must to a "hospital" where he shall be "cured" of his homosexuality. Take a bath in icy water and various punishments were part of his "re-education program", also electric shock therapies, take.
E.g. gave it such " therapies" like YouTube covered (e.g. the documentation "LEGACIES") at the BYU.

help3434
Guru

Re: Latter Days - True or false?

Post #11

Post by help3434 »

[Replying to post 10 by richardP]

You don't even know what morality means. And your rather bizarre scare tactics are not going to work.

help3434
Guru

Post #12

Post by help3434 »

[Replying to post 1 by The Ex-Mormon]

Have you guys seen the BYU it gets better videos or heard of the BYU Understanding Same Gender attraction group that started recently at BYU? I think that over the last few years there has been a definite shift among LDS members in their attitude towards lgbt issues and people. The LDS church is still far behind but it is progress. As horrible as the Church's involvement in Proposition 8 was I think that the silver lining is that the backlash against it got LDS members to think more about the issue and learn to empathize with LGBT people perhaps for the first time.

help3434
Guru

Post #13

Post by help3434 »

[Replying to post 1 by The Ex-Mormon]

I would say from your description that is false only in that is not completely true to life, but what movie is? From what I understand gay conversion no longer involves electro shock. The video Nickman posted describes it as being like a 12 step program.

Goat
Site Supporter

Post #14

Post by Goat »

help3434 wrote: [Replying to post 1 by The Ex-Mormon]

I would say from your description that is false only in that is not completely true to life, but what movie is? From what I understand gay conversion no longer involves electro shock. The video Nickman posted describes it as being like a 12 step program.
You do realize that it still causes drug addition and suicides among people who participate in it? Do you know anybody who was forced to go through it as a minor?
I do, and the majority of the people (more than half) that went through it with her when she was 15 are dead now.. she's 32. some were drug overdoses, others were suidcide.
“What do you think science is? There is nothing magical about science. It is simply a systematic way for carefully and thoroughly observing nature and using consistent logic to evaluate results. So which part of that exactly do you disagree with? Do you disagree with being thorough? Using careful observation? Being systematic? Or using consistent logic?�

Steven Novella