If you read the Quran, why didn't you believe in it?

Argue for and against religions and philosophies which are not Christian

Moderator: Moderators

happy forever
Apprentice

If you read the Quran, why didn't you believe in it?

Post #1

Post by happy forever »

The Quran is the book of Allah for all humanity, it's Ayats are mercy and guidance.
If you really read it, how didn't you believe in it?

Philomath
Student

Re: If you read the Quran, why didn't you believe in it?

Post #31

Post by Philomath »

[Replying to post 1 by happy forever]

I'm still reading the Qur'an and learning more about it. I do believe it. I believe it contains some spiritual truths but do I believe the entire book is 100% true? No.

jpalmaer
Student

Post #32

Post by jpalmaer »

happy forever wrote: The Quran is the book of Allah for all humanity, it's Ayats are mercy and guidance.
If you really read it, how didn't you believe in it?
Hi. I am sharing a lot of the Islamic beliefs in the concept of God, and believe that the Islamic Allah is the very same deity as the Christian and Jewish God. I've read the Quran, but most say it was a really tricky challenge to do it. It seem some hard to properly translate the Quran to Swedish. The translation(s) is/are pretty poor.

However, my conclusions after reading a lot about Islam and in the Quran is:
- Islam do not or hardly applies to modern western Europeans,
- some thoughts and practises may would be applicable, but not the entire concept.

By this not necissarily saying that Christianity better suites to modern western Europeans. But the Christian approach still seem to be some better applied to and integrated to the western European culture.

I believe that the Islamic influences will increase in the Western Europe onward, while Christian influences will increase in the Middle East. Some kind of divergent faith or expressions may appears. Chrislam is one such attempt, but I'm not sure it will expand. To me it seem like Christians stay Christians, while muslims stays Islamic, while a rapidly growing number of secular people probably will go somewhere else in the future. But where? We probably have to wait a while to see..
Last edited by jpalmaer on Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:28 am, edited 2 times in total.

A Troubled Man
Guru

Post #33

Post by A Troubled Man »

jpalmaer wrote: Some kind of divergent faith or expressions may appears. Chrislam is one such attempt, but I'm not sure it will expand. To me it seem like Christians stay Christians, while muslims stays Islamic, while secular people probably will go somewhere else. But where? We probably have to wait a while to see..
Yes, those religions will guarantee mankind's division for many years to come.

jpalmaer
Student

Post #34

Post by jpalmaer »

[Replying to post 33 by A Troubled Man]

Unfortunately it seem so. Unity and peace would of course be much better.

A Troubled Man
Guru

Post #35

Post by A Troubled Man »

jpalmaer wrote: [Replying to post 33 by A Troubled Man]

Of course, but those religions will never allow unity and peace as long as there are people who follow them.

jpalmaer
Student

Post #36

Post by jpalmaer »

A Troubled Man wrote:
jpalmaer wrote: [Replying to post 33 by A Troubled Man]

Of course, but those religions will never allow unity and peace as long as there are people who follow them.

To me it seem like both Christianty and Islam are pretty peaceful but unmodern religions. But there're a lot of followers that not strike to peace and still insisting on represent the only "Truth".

But anyway, I neither believe that Christianty and Islam itselves are able to make true peace and unity. I believe both religions in the longer terms will decrease, and be replaced by something more unifying. But I believe we till then can promote more of interfaith dialogue, as well as religious liberalism and tolerance.

Suzy
Apprentice

Post #37

Post by Suzy »

Can I jump in here with an experience I have had with the Quran and ask you all for your thoughts on this?

I borrowed a copy of the Quran and used it while watching debates were a Muslim quoted a verse to prove that Islam is a peaceful non violent religion.
Every time one would quote a verse I would look it up and read the verses before and after the quoted verse.
The verses I read showed clearly to me that the ‘peaceful verse was in fact referring only to people that had accepted Allah and his prophet and sometimes death to the non believers.

I have only started to look into this religion but its not a good start for Islam.

I am willing to change my developing uncertainty about Islam so I will listen with an open mind.

A Troubled Man
Guru

Post #38

Post by A Troubled Man »

jpalmaer wrote: But I believe we till then can promote more of interfaith dialogue, as well as religious liberalism and tolerance.
Yes, and hopefully for the rest of us, it will be reality that replaces faith.

jpalmaer
Student

Post #39

Post by jpalmaer »

A Troubled Man wrote:
jpalmaer wrote: But I believe we till then can promote more of interfaith dialogue, as well as religious liberalism and tolerance.
Yes, and hopefully for the rest of us, it will be reality that replaces faith.
Well...to me and most other faiths seem to be a certain part of the reality.
You can observer them everywhere...so by definition they are a part of the reality. By this not mentioning that all or any particular faiths are purely true and good ones. Some or portions of them could even or possibly be more or less evil and false.

A Troubled Man
Guru

Post #40

Post by A Troubled Man »

jpalmaer wrote:
Well...to me and most other faiths seem to be a certain part of the reality.
You can observer them everywhere...so by definition they are a part of the reality. By this not mentioning that all or any particular faiths are purely true and good ones. Some or portions of them could even or possibly be more or less evil and false.
Yes, reality shows us there are folks who have faith in invisible and undetectable entities that have never been shown to exist and be part of reality. That is true.

That is also part of the problem.