Purgatory

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

TQWcS
Scholar

Purgatory

Post #1

Post by TQWcS »

Do you believe in purgatory? If so why and do you have scriptural evidence to prove it?

If Jesus died for all of our sins why would an intermediate between heaven and hell exist. If our sins are clouded by his death why should we go to purgatory and stay there based on the degree of our sins?

Esoteric_Illuminati
Student

Re: Purgatory

Post #2

Post by Esoteric_Illuminati »

TQWcS wrote:Do you believe in purgatory? If so why and do you have scriptural evidence to prove it?

If Jesus died for all of our sins why would an intermediate between heaven and hell exist. If our sins are clouded by his death why should we go to purgatory and stay there based on the degree of our sins?
The only reference to purgatory that I'm aware of is 2 Maccabees 12:39-45 out of the Apocrypha. I've never seen justification of the doctrine outside of the Catholic church, it's own tradition and its own scriptures. I agree with ya TQ, it undermines the work accomplished by Jesus Christ on the cross.
-EI

"Education is the ability to listen to almost anything without losing your temper or your self confidence."
Robert Frost

proverbial student
Student

Re: Purgatory

Post #3

Post by proverbial student »

Esoteric_Illuminati wrote:
TQWcS wrote:Do you believe in purgatory? If so why and do you have scriptural evidence to prove it?

The only reference to purgatory that I'm aware of is 2 Maccabees 12:39-45 out of the Apocrypha. I've never seen justification of the doctrine outside of the Catholic church, it's own tradition and its own scriptures. I agree with ya TQ, it undermines the work accomplished by Jesus Christ on the cross.
EI, in looking up in my Catholic Catechism concerning Purgatory, you are completely correct in that Maccabean quote being the source of the Catholic's belief in Purgatory.

However, in answer to TQ's question, IMO, I think Purgatory is on earth in the here and now, it is our cross, we are living it. As long as we believe in Jesus Christ as our Savior, at death, we will be with Him.