Notifications

Feedback and site usage questions

Moderator: Moderators

ElCodeMonkey
Site Supporter

Notifications

Post #1

Post by ElCodeMonkey »

I would like to participate more on the forums but I'm not sure how to get notifications the way I need it. I'm not sure if it's possible to do what I want. I decided to "watch" certain subforums but it looks like I'm going to get a notification for every reply on every post. When watching a subforum, I really only want to know about new TOPICs, not every little reply. Is this possible? Or can it be a new feature?
I'm Published! Christians Are Revolting: An Infidel's Progress
My Blog: Friendly By Nurture
The Wisdom I've gleaned.
My Current Beliefs.

otseng
Savant

Post #2

Post by otseng »

This is a good idea. I'll see if I can add this sometime in the future. Might be around Christmas time when I can get around to it.

ElCodeMonkey
Site Supporter

Post #3

Post by ElCodeMonkey »

Awesome! Be sure to let me know when it's updated! Thanks! Btw, is it currently going to alert me for every reply or just the first reply of things I haven't yet received a notification for?
The Wisdom I've gleaned.
My Current Beliefs.

otseng
Savant

Post #4

Post by otseng »

I'll post here when I get it done.

I'm planning on it sending you an email when a new topic is created for a particular subforum.

ElCodeMonkey
Site Supporter

Post #5

Post by ElCodeMonkey »

I'm noticing that for topics that I'm participating in, I seem to only get notified of the first response after me. If I don't respond again, I don't ever get alerted again. So conversations go on without me knowing simply because I didn't wish to respond to the most immediate post after me. When watching a whole subforum I got alerted for every single stinkin' reply on every single thread. I want that but only for the threads I'm participating in. Am I doing something wrong? Is there a setting somewhere?
The Wisdom I've gleaned.
My Current Beliefs.

otseng
Savant

Post #6

Post by otseng »

[Replying to post 5 by ElCodeMonkey]

This is how it currently works. I'll see about adding the ability to get notified for every post for a single topic.

otseng
Savant

Re: Notifications

Post #7

Post by otseng »

ElCodeMonkey wrote: I would like to participate more on the forums but I'm not sure how to get notifications the way I need it. I'm not sure if it's possible to do what I want. I decided to "watch" certain subforums but it looks like I'm going to get a notification for every reply on every post. When watching a subforum, I really only want to know about new TOPICs, not every little reply. Is this possible? Or can it be a new feature?
I added code to support this.

There is now two options in the lower left of a subforum:
Watch this subforum for new topics
Watch this subforum for all posts

Let me know if there are any issues with it.

Also, I fixed the Twitter feed. I had to upgrade to the 1.1 API.

This feed will have a list of all new topics:
https://twitter.com/DCRForum

otseng
Savant

Post #8

Post by otseng »

ElCodeMonkey wrote: I'm noticing that for topics that I'm participating in, I seem to only get notified of the first response after me. If I don't respond again, I don't ever get alerted again. So conversations go on without me knowing simply because I didn't wish to respond to the most immediate post after me. When watching a whole subforum I got alerted for every single stinkin' reply on every single thread. I want that but only for the threads I'm participating in. Am I doing something wrong? Is there a setting somewhere?
Now there's two ways to subscribe to a topic.

The default way is to only send you one notification until you post in that thread.

The second way is to receive a notification for every reply made in that thread. In the lower left, click on "Notify all post replies in topic".

I've also added a way to unsubscribe from all post notifications.