Another question for the Jewish practicioners amoung us,

Getting to know more about a particular group

Moderator: Moderators

Elijah John
Savant

Another question for the Jewish practicioners amoung us,

Post #1

Post by Elijah John »

I have always admired Judaism for the thoughtful interpretations of Scripture, the teachings of absolute monotheism, and the elevation or actions and attitudes over belief. In general, the premium Jews tend to put on Reason and learning.

I have been reading a book by Trude Weiss-Morarin entitled "Judaism and Christianity, the differences"

She speaks of the Eternal Torah, and states that it is against Judiasm that ANY of the Torah given to Moses should be changed, added to or diminished, modified in any way.

So if I am understanding her right, does that include the sanction of stoning Sabbath breakers to death? Is that one of the 613 laws of Judaism? (Do I have the number right?)

I find it hard to rationalize or spiritualize that law.(If it is a law) Or to even read it symbolically.

Could anyone clarify this for me? Give me a deeper meaning or clear up my misunderstanding?
My theological positions:

-God created us in His image, not the other way around.
-The Bible is redeemed by it's good parts.
-Pure monotheism, simple repentance.
-YHVH is LORD
-The real Jesus is not God, the real YHVH is not a monster.
-Eternal life is a gift from the Living God.
-Keep the Commandments, keep your salvation.
-I have accepted YHVH as my Heavenly Father, LORD and Savior.

I am inspired by Jesus to worship none but YHVH, and to serve only Him.

cnorman18

Post #21

Post by cnorman18 »

[Replying to post 19 by Thruit]

You are entitled to your own opinions, and you may believe as you choose; I have no warrant to tell you that you're wrong, and I don't. We've never said that ours is The Only True Religion. But only Jews get to define Judaism, and that disqualifies some Christian's claims about what Jesus said about it.

The New Testament means nothing to us. Jesus means nothing to us. Those facts aren't going to change, and your opinion on the matter is irrelevant. From a Jew's perspective, YOUR statements are the "awkward" ones.

As Trude Weiss-Rosmarin said, on pages 11 and 12 of the book you are presently reading: "The notion that Judaism and Christianity, to maintain truly harmonious relations, must be 'truly, basically one' is really a totalitarian aberration. For democracy is predicated on the conviction that dissimilarities and differences are no cause or justification for inequality... After all, we don't demand that all Americans vote for the same ticket in order to promote national unity."

Would YOU be interested in what Muhammad said about Christianity? The Quran says that Jesus was a Muslim, you know. Is that authoritative -- or even relevant -- to you? If not, then you see what I mean.

Perhaps you ought to stop beating this particular dead horse.

cnorman18

Post #22

Post by cnorman18 »

[Replying to post 21 by cnorman18]

Correction to the above post: it was not Thruit who was reading Trude Weiss-Rosmarin's book, but Elijah John. Nevertheless, her remark remains relevant here.

Thruit
Apprentice

Post #23

Post by Thruit »

otseng posted,
Moderator Comment
This thread is really for Jewish practitioners, not to debate the Jewish religion.
Apologies otseng. I do have a problem finding where Jesus tried to start a whole new religion, instead of commenting on His own one. I will refrain from from posting on this matter here any further,

Thruit
Apprentice

Post #24

Post by Thruit »

cnorman18 posted,
Correction to the above post: it was not Thruit who was reading Trude Weiss-Rosmarin's book, but Elijah John. Nevertheless, her remark remains relevant here.
well my friend I hate to keep disagreeing with you, but I am a guy.

cnorman18

Post #25

Post by cnorman18 »

Thruit wrote:
cnorman18 posted,
well my friend I hate to keep disagreeing with you, but I am a guy.
Trude Weiss-Rosmarin isn't, and it was HER remark to which I was referring.