PG Rating

Religion in TV, Movies, Books, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

McCulloch
Site Supporter

PG Rating

Post #1

Post by McCulloch »

Should the movie ratings people put a warning on films that are too evangelistic?
In [url=http://www.shns.com/shns/g_index2.cfm?action=detail&pk=RELIGION-FAITH-06-07-06]Narrow focus draws 'PG' rating for Baptist-backed film [/url] TERRY MATTINGLY wrote:The Motion Picture Association of America is crystal clear when it describes why its "PG" rating exists _ it's a warning flag.

"The theme of a PG-rated film may itself call for parental guidance," states the online explanation of the rating system. "There may be some profanity in these films. There may be some violence or brief nudity. ... The PG rating, suggesting parental guidance, is thus an alert for examination of a film by parents before deciding on its viewing by their children. Obviously such a line is difficult to draw."

Disagreements are a given. The Christian moviemakers behind a low-budget film called "Facing the Giants" were stunned when the MPAA pinned a PG rating on their gentle movie about a burned-out, depressed football coach whose life _ on and off the field _ takes a miraculous turn for the better.
[...]
Which "thematic elements" earned this squeaky-clean movie its PG?

"Facing the Giants" is too evangelistic.

The MPAA, noted Fuhr, tends to offer cryptic explanations for its ratings. In this case, she was told that it "decided that the movie was heavily laden with messages from one religion and that this might offend people from other religions. It's important that they used the word 'proselytizing' when they talked about giving this movie a PG. ...

"It is kind of interesting that faith has joined that list of deadly sins that the MPAA board wants to warn parents to worry about."
[...]
[T]he scene that caught the MPAA's attention may have been the chat between football coach Grant Taylor _ played by Alex Kendrick _ and a rich brat named Matt Prader. The coach says that he needs to stop bad-mouthing his bossy father and get right with God.

The boy replies: "You really believe in all that honoring God and following Jesus stuff? ... Well, I ain't trying to be disrespectful, but not everybody believes in that."

The coach replies: "Matt, nobody's forcing anything on you. Following Jesus Christ is the decision that you're going to have to make for yourself. You may not want to accept it, because it'll change your life. You'll never be the same."
[...]
Examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
First Epistle to the Church of the Thessalonians
The truth will make you free.
Gospel of John

theleftone

Re: PG Rating

Post #2

Post by theleftone »

McCulloch wrote:Should the movie ratings people put a warning on films that are too evangelistic?
Ouch. Now that's a can of worms. How do we define evangelistic? Do we limit to religion? How about propaganda films? (e.g., Michael Moore, the crazy guy on the moon landings, etc.) What about basic philosophical concepts?

Beyond what ideas are defined as evangelistic, how do we practically enforce these? Who gets to say, "I think the film really pushes 'x' theological concept too strongly?" Do we adjust what's considered evangelistic based on cultural influence? (i.e., as the US Muslim population grows, do we weaken the ratings on what's considered evangelistic with regards to Islam?)

Personally, I'd say no because it's a difficult concept to define and consistently practice. I think it borders more on "film criticism."

sue

Post #3

Post by sue »

McCulloch wrote:Should the movie ratings people put a warning on films that are too evangelistic?
No. The PG rating means that "some material may not be suitable for children". It doesn't say "some material may not be suitable for children being raised in a non-Christian household".

Children should be exposed to different ideas, and parents should be actively engaging their children in dialog. Through researching the films and by dialog, any ideas that the parent deems "inappropriate" can be managed.

McCulloch
Site Supporter

Post #4

Post by McCulloch »

sue wrote:No. The PG rating means that "some material may not be suitable for children". It doesn't say "some material may not be suitable for children being raised in a non-Christian household".

Children should be exposed to different ideas, and parents should be actively engaging their children in dialog. Through researching the films and by dialog, any ideas that the parent deems "inappropriate" can be managed.

PG means that parents may wish to review the material because they might find it inappropriate for their children or they might wish to discuss the material with them.

Personally, I do not think that my children, when they were young should have been exposed to overtly proselytizing movies about Islam, Rev. Moon or Jones, Mormonism or whatever without having a responsible adult (or if Mom is not available, me) to help dispell the propaganda.

So, yes a warning is appropriate. It is not a ban.
Gospel of John

sue

Post #5

Post by sue »

McCulloch wrote:

sue wrote:No. The PG rating means that "some material may not be suitable for children". It doesn't say "some material may not be suitable for children being raised in a non-Christian household".

PG means that parents may wish to review the material because they might find it inappropriate for their children or they might wish to discuss the material with them.

Personally, I do not think that my children, when they were young should have been exposed to overtly proselytizing movies about Islam, Rev. Moon or Jones, Mormonism or whatever without having a responsible adult (or if Mom is not available, me) to help dispell the propaganda.

So, yes a warning is appropriate. It is not a ban.
G just means "All ages admitted", it's no guarantee that the ideas presented therein will not be offensive to all parents. As a parent of a child under the age of 13, I'd imagine you'd still have to screen movies. Apparently some Christians already are doing just that.

Personally, I remember growing up watching Davey and Goliath every week, and look what a good Christian I turned into. O:)

Aristarkos
Apprentice

Post #6

Post by Aristarkos »

It's easy for most CARING parents to get the scoop on a movie.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0805526/plotsummary
http://www.kids-in-mind.com
The hope of a secure and livable world lies with disciplined nonconformists who are dedicated to justice, peace and brotherhood. -MLK
http://www.uua.org/aboutuu/uufaq.html

The Persnickety Platypus
Guru

Post #7

Post by The Persnickety Platypus »

I had actually heard that movies who demonstrate "non-traditional" values are given more wary ratings. I came across a site a while ago that (I think) was based upon the widely accepted rating system. It gave the specific reasons for why each movie was rated as such. Many movies with PG ratings were cited with the reasoning along the lines of "goes against teachings of the Bible". It even gave harsher ratings to movies which presented pretexts that may give kids a "false sense of reality" (such as talking animals, flying superhero's, ect).

Anyone know if this is true? Are contemporary movies rated with Christian mothers in mind?

If so, then evangelically themed films should be censored as well. To qualify for a 'G' rating, a movie must be ideologically neutral.

But if I have my facts wrong about the rating system, then no, censoring evangelical movies is highly discriminatory.

Either we censor all ideologies, or we censor none of them.

scottlittlefield17
Site Supporter

Post #8

Post by scottlittlefield17 »

One influential Christian minister said that PG stood for "pure garbage". Take it how you want it. I watch no TV at all.

McCulloch
Site Supporter

Post #9

Post by McCulloch »

scottlittlefield17 wrote:One influential Christian minister said that PG stood for "pure garbage". Take it how you want it. I watch no TV at all.
That sounds like the kind of sound bite devoid of real analysis or thought that I have come to expect from influential Christian ministers.
Gospel of John

Homicidal_Cherry53
Sage

Post #10

Post by Homicidal_Cherry53 »

No. The last thing we need is more tools for parents to shelter their children, while pushing their narrow-minded worldview upon them. The MPAA is bad enough as is, discriminating against independent films, ensuring nothing that is considered too "wrong" ever makes even the slightest bit of money. The last thing we need is to give the association another category which they can use to deem a movie "unsuitable". Even though you only suggest it as something for PG ratings, it would undoubtedly be applied throughout the majority of all ratings. I can see it now: a movie getting an R rating because it is too opinionated.
sue wrote:
No. The PG rating means that "some material may not be suitable for children". It doesn't say "some material may not be suitable for children being raised in a non-Christian household".
"Not suitable for children" is entirely subjective. What is suitable is in the eyes of the beholder (hence the word "may"). Some may consider nudity or violence perfectly suitable for children.