For the love of the pursuit of knowledge

Moderator: Moderators

Illyricum
Apprentice

What is our purpose in life?

Post #1

Post by Illyricum »

What is our purpose in life?
So from Jerusalem all the way around to Illyricum, I have fully proclaimed the gospel of Christ.

Romans 15:19

Ami
Apprentice

What is our purpose?

Post #11

Post by Ami »

What is our purpose? Whta we each want. As a whole? I don't know. If it isn't anything to do with religion, I'd just like to ask; were are we going, and why?

Bro Dave
Sage

Post #12

Post by Bro Dave »

I like this question. It is one of several apex questions which I believe give meaning and direction to our lives. For me, meaning immediately suggests Deity. The Creator who sustains His creation, builds into that system duality. Duality immediately offers a basis on which to make a comparison, and to have a relative meaning to these relationships.
So, the question may actually start with, what was God’s purpose in creating the universe, giving birth to the possibility of having meanings, which yield human purpose as a product.

This suggests yet another question; Why would God bother to create a universe?

Strangely, God, being absolute and infinite, in limited only in the ability to experience growth! Let’s take a peek an Alice in Wonderland view “through the looking glass”, were time and space do not exist. In the pre-everything state, God creates a universe of possibilities peopled with his children, who ARE capable of growth. Then, God gives his children a pre-personal part of Himself, to whisper guidance as they make their free will choices. Human “purpose” starts here, with the inherent desire discover God, who is “closer than their breath”, living at the very center of their existence. When we discover God within, our purpose is then “to be perfect, even as He is perfect”. BIG JOB! But… we have God as our partner, and we have eternity to get it done!

What an exciting adventure awaits us!

Bro Dave
:D

Insomniac
Student

Post #13

Post by Insomniac »

Why does there even have to be a purpose? The thought that life has a meaning is only an assumption/opinion. There are some who have devoted their entire lives to finding this 'meaning'--pondering the idea of a higher, more magnificent being. There theories upon theories. None can be proven completely correct, nor can they be proven completely incorrect.

I think there is no meaning to life, it only exists because it can. Some need a reason for each breath they take as a form of security. Some want to be reassured that they won't just vanish at the face of death.

Do I believe God is real? At times, I'm not sure. I was raised with that belief. At times, when I feel as if I have nothing concrete, the thought of someone 'watching over me' is quite comforting. Though, I am still not of full faith. It is very hard to close your eyes and fall backwards into the arms of something that can be detected by none of your physical senses. But, then again, every physical thing in front of us is only there because our senses say they are.

I believe that the meaning of life is whatever we make of it. For me, the meaning of life is happiness. When you stop and think, everything we do is entertwined with the thread of joy.
Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation

Native American is me homie g-dog

calm

Re: What is our purpose in life?

Post #14

Post by calm »

bernee51 wrote:
Illyricum wrote:What is our purpose in life?
why should life extrinsically have purpose? Does the life of a whale, or goat, or amoeba have any less or more purpose?

Why is it difficult for some to accept that we just are. We exist like every thing, living or not, exists. We are made of the same matter as all else and ultimately, as Carl Sagan so eloqently stated, we are all stardust.
Agreed.. Why should there be a reason for our existence?

TQWcS
Scholar

Post #15

Post by TQWcS »

Why should there not? If you believe we are here because of a big bang which over time caused the formation of our solar system and blah blah blah we are the product of evolution. Even there we have a purpose, to create offspring to further our species.