Pointless Posts, Raves n Rants, Obscure Opinions

Moderator: Moderators

ENIGMA
Sage

Post Colorizer 1.0

Post #1

Post by ENIGMA »

The Post Colorizer 1.0!!!!

On a random whim at about 4 in the morning (when, for some reason, a disproportionately large number of random whims seem to surface) a couple of weeks ago, I was reading a few forums and found several posts written in an atrociously annoying and nearly unparseable style and I wondered if there was any way to properly indicate just this problem. And so after a bit of messing around with Java, a few test posts here and there, and hitting a few buttons in Eclipse, the post colorizer is born...

WHAT IT DOES:

It takes inputted text and turns either portions of it or all of it into text such that every letter rotates through the various specified colors of the forum (except for white and yellow, for semi-obvious reasons).

INSTRUCTIONS FOR INSTALLATION:

1) Get Java installed on your system if you dont have it.
2) Download the Post Colorizer and save it in its own folder.

That was simple, wasn't it?

INSTRUCTIONS FOR USE:

1) In the folder that you type the text that you wished colorized and save it.
2) Double click postcolorizer.jar in the folder with input.txt
3) A new file, output.txt should appear, open it and copy the contents to the post window.

The contents will be colorized when posted to the forums.

ADVANCED USE:

If there is any section of input.txt that you do not wish colorized, preface it with a character created by holding alt, and while alt is held, typing the number 020400088, then releasing alt. If you are successful then the character that you recieve should be a circle with a slash through it. After that character, no colorization will occur until another such character is reached. These characters will not appear in the output.

CAVEATS/WARNINGS:

Don't try to do any links, smilies, or any other formatting within the colorized area, or it will get eaten up badly. I could look into fixing this one if there is sufficient demand. For now, if you really want that stuff, find where you want it and add it to the output by hand.

Keep it short, the results of the colorization are quite space intensive and apparently the bulletin board has a tag limit per post. The limit seems to be about 200 words, so no dissertations please.

Don't use this in a folder where output.txt is the name of some important system file or document. Really, don't. And if you do, then don't blame me since I warned you beforehand.

Please use responsibly :)

This post generated by the Post Colorizer 1.0
Gilt and Vetinari shared a look. It said: While I loathe you and all of your personal philosophy to a depth unplummable by any line, I will credit you at least with not being Crispin Horsefry [The big loud idiot in the room].

-Going Postal, Discworld

McCulloch
Site Supporter

Post #2

Post by McCulloch »

All I can say is, someone really has too much time on their hands.
Examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
First Epistle to the Church of the Thessalonians
The truth will make you free.
Gospel of John

ENIGMA
Sage

Post #3

Post by ENIGMA »

McCulloch wrote:All I can say is, someone really has too much time on their hands.
Like I said, most of this was programmed on a random whim at 4 in the morning.

From my experience, around 4 in the morning is the annoying time period in which if you are awake, you aren't going to get a decent night's sleep so don't even bother, and yet it's still too early to do anything useful. So, for the purposes of this program, yes I did have a bit too much time on my hands. 8-)

Now, if I had hand-coded several of my recent posts instead as opposed to using this program, then that would indicate that I have WAY too much time on my hands.
Gilt and Vetinari shared a look. It said: While I loathe you and all of your personal philosophy to a depth unplummable by any line, I will credit you at least with not being Crispin Horsefry [The big loud idiot in the room].

-Going Postal, Discworld

otseng
Savant

Post #4

Post by otseng »

It worked for me. :)

Double clicking the jar file just opened my archiving program. But, I got it to work with:
java -jar postcolorizer.jar RainbowPost