Why are you not a Hindu ?

Where agnostics and atheists can freely discuss

Moderator: Moderators

Bugmaster
Site Supporter

Why are you not a Hindu ?

Post #1

Post by Bugmaster »

On religious debate boards such as this one, people often post their reasons for not being a Christian. The Problem of Evil, the Euthypro (sp?) dillemma, the weakness of the Ontological argument... all are very good reasons to not believe in Christianity specifically, and other Judeo-Christian religions in general.

However, there are many other religions that do not suffer from these problems. Buddhism is the obvious candidate (seeing as it doesn't even have gods), Krishnaism is another one (it's like Buddhism-lite). Many people in the world today are Hindu, and I'm sure there's even a guy somewhere in Finland that still worships Odin. Right here in America, we have Wiccans, Neo-Pagans, and even some self-proclaimed Satanists. In Japan, there are still quite a few Shintoists, and I think there are still some native Australian tribes that practice animism.

None of the common arguments against Christianity apply to these religions. So, why are you not a Wiccan ?

ST88
Site Supporter

Post #2

Post by ST88 »

The main reason I am not a Christian is because there is no valid evidence for a spiritual realm. This negates any belief system in which a spiritual realm is necessary.
Every concept that can ever be needed will be expressed by exactly one word, with its meaning rigidly defined and all its subsidiary meanings forgotten. -- George Orwell, 1984

Columbus
Student

Post #3

Post by Columbus »

Because every religion I have ever paid any attention to was as full of holes as swiss cheese. Eventually I came to the conclusion that no-one knows anything important about God. Yes, there are still many religious traditions I know nothing about. Maybe the creator of the Universe has taken up residence in a wooden carving somewhere in the highlands of Africa. But I doubt it, somehow.

Tom

Vianne
Student

Post #4

Post by Vianne »

Buddhism is something I've been dabbling in recently, actually, so I may wind up Buddhist yet.

However, most religions seem to revolve around magical concepts, which I find hard to believe.

Partialartist
Student

Post #5

Post by Partialartist »

Edit: I'll hold off, for now.