Rational and civil debate between members of all religions and world views

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Reply to topic
Wordleymaster1
First Post
PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 4:16 am  Christians' feelings hurt Reply with quote

I'm relatively new here but even so, I've noticed many people seem to get their feelings hurt SUPER easily. Most of these people have been self ID'd as Christian.
I've noticed while I was a Christian as well as now that Christians tend to be able to get away with saying a lot of smack about other groups but when someone says smack about them, they scream and cry louder than a woman in childbirth!
It seems that, as Christians, many get upset over things WAY more easily and faster than before they were a Christian.
Do you see this to be true?
Can you give examples either way?
Does becoming a Christian, which is a very emotional affair, create a super-sensitive person, or is it that tyically only super-sensitive people BECOME Christian?
Post BBCode URL - Right click and save to clipboard to use later in post Post 31: Sat Oct 04, 2014 11:40 am
Reply
Re: Christians' feelings hurt

Like this post
[Replying to post 30 by dianaiad]

American Atheists say a lot of things, many of which have nothing to do with atheism at all.
The most general position for atheism is a lack of belief in gods.

Nothing to do with supernatural beings in general. Just gods.
Imho AA want to inject naturalism, empiricism and other entirely separate things; or perhaps they just think that all atheists think like they do.

Atheists can believe in ghosts, afterlives, werewolves, homoeopathy, astrology, anything that doesn't fit what they consider to be a god.

Theism/atheism isn't a moral divide at all - just a divide about whether a specific kind of entity exists. Religion (and irreligious ideologies) can be, as they are a system of organised beliefs.


If there is insufficient evidence to warrant justified belief in an afterlife, what avoidable danger does acting without regard to an afterlife have?
I hope these aren't dangers prefaced with "if there is an afterlife"

Goto top, bottom
View user's profile 
Post BBCode URL - Right click and save to clipboard to use later in post Post 32: Sat Oct 04, 2014 2:20 pm
Reply
Re: Christians' feelings hurt

Like this post
Wordleymaster1
Quote:
I'm relatively new here but even so, I've noticed many people seem to get their feelings hurt SUPER easily. Most of these people have been self ID'd as Christian.


Oh really? How many Christians are left here? They seemed to get banned for hurting people's feelings as a matter of course. While the anti-Christian thrashers and bashers seem to make it to thousands of posts.

Quote:
I've noticed while I was a Christian as well as now that Christians tend to be able to get away with saying a lot of smack about other groups but when someone says smack about them, they scream and cry louder than a woman in childbirth!


Just not the case in my experience. Christians get to see Jesus characterized as a gay, an idiot or not even existing and when we turn the tables on the Anti's we get seriously nailed by report buttons.

Quote:
It seems that, as Christians, many get upset over things WAY more easily and faster than before they were a Christian.

Do you see this to be true?


Nope.

Quote:
Can you give examples either way?


In my experience here and in the real world, defining anti Christians in anything other than just seekers of knowledge with the civil rights to be skeptics, gets report buttons pushed like letters on our keyboards and accusations that we are haters and bigots that are too mean to be real Christians. Boo hoo poor anti-Christian babies huh? If you are going to sling mud, be prepared to have dirty hands.

Quote:
Does becoming a Christian, which is a very emotional affair, create a super-sensitive person, or is it that typically only super-sensitive people BECOME Christian?


You are looking at the wrong individuals and crowds here. It looks to me like it is the politically correct secularists, anti Christians and other common adversaries of Christians that get all frothy when questioned about the quality of their behaviors.

You need to be here awhile and observe reality. Although it appears Christen are held to a higher standard (and one would obviously think they know why), they don't usually last a whole lot of time here. While the anti's get awards and longevity. Just watch the usernames and post counts.

I know I have been accused of hurting the feelings of anti-Christians so often, I don't know if anyone can produce a time I am not being railed against for being mean to those whose non and anti Christian rants I am responding to . . . whose sensitivities and "personal" feelings get hurt seemingly endlessly.

Just keep your eyes and mind open.

Maybe I'm wrong and maybe I'm right. I'm stating it's the latter.

Goto top, bottom
View user's profile 
Post BBCode URL - Right click and save to clipboard to use later in post Post 33: Sat Oct 04, 2014 3:35 pm
Reply
Re: Christians' feelings hurt

Like this post
.
99percentatheism wrote:

Wordleymaster1 wrote:
I'm relatively new here but even so, I've noticed many people seem to get their feelings hurt SUPER easily. Most of these people have been self ID'd as Christian.


Oh really? How many Christians are left here? They seemed to get banned for hurting people's feelings as a matter of course.

Correction: People are placed on probation, suspended or banned for violating clearly stated Forum Rules and Guidelines – as you have experienced. Theological position has nothing to do with rule infractions or Admin and Moderator action.

The website is owned and administered by a Christian (and strong debater) and the moderating team represents a balance of Theist and Non-Theists.

99percentatheism wrote:

While the anti-Christian thrashers and bashers seem to make it to thousands of posts.

If one observes "thrashing and bashing" they are encouraged to report rule infractions

99percentatheism wrote:

Wordleymaster1 wrote:
I've noticed while I was a Christian as well as now that Christians tend to be able to get away with saying a lot of smack about other groups but when someone says smack about them, they scream and cry louder than a woman in childbirth!


Just not the case in my experience. Christians get to see Jesus characterized as a gay, an idiot or not even existing and when we turn the tables on the Anti's we get seriously nailed by report buttons.

Jesus worshipers are free to demonstrate that Jesus did exist, was wise, (or even that he was homophobic if they wish).

99percentatheism wrote:

In my experience here and in the real world, defining anti Christians in anything other than just seekers of knowledge with the civil rights to be skeptics, gets report buttons pushed like letters on our keyboards and accusations that we are haters and bigots that are too mean to be real Christians. Boo hoo poor anti-Christian babies huh? If you are going to sling mud, be prepared to have dirty hands.

Look at your hands 99. Notice also that the mud comes back on the slinger.

99percentatheism wrote:

I know I have been accused of hurting the feelings of anti-Christians so often, I don't know if anyone can produce a time I am not being railed against for being mean to those whose non and anti Christian rants I am responding to . . . whose sensitivities and "personal" feelings get hurt seemingly endlessly.

Correction: You have earned probation and suspension for repeatedly violating Forum Rules (while complaining about being persecuted).

99percentatheism wrote:

Maybe I'm wrong and maybe I'm right. I'm stating it's the latter.

I maintain that you are wrong a good deal of the time -- including this time.

Goto top, bottom
View user's profile 
Post BBCode URL - Right click and save to clipboard to use later in post Post 34: Sat Oct 04, 2014 11:05 pm
Reply

Like this post
99percentatheism wrote:

Wordleymaster1
Quote:
I'm relatively new here but even so, I've noticed many people seem to get their feelings hurt SUPER easily. Most of these people have been self ID'd as Christian.


Oh really? How many Christians are left here? They seemed to get banned for hurting people's feelings as a matter of course. While the anti-Christian thrashers and bashers seem to make it to thousands of posts.

Quote:
I've noticed while I was a Christian as well as now that Christians tend to be able to get away with saying a lot of smack about other groups but when someone says smack about them, they scream and cry louder than a woman in childbirth!


Just not the case in my experience. Christians get to see Jesus characterized as a gay, an idiot or not even existing and when we turn the tables on the Anti's we get seriously nailed by report buttons.

Quote:
It seems that, as Christians, many get upset over things WAY more easily and faster than before they were a Christian.

Do you see this to be true?


Nope.

Quote:
Can you give examples either way?


In my experience here and in the real world, defining anti Christians in anything other than just seekers of knowledge with the civil rights to be skeptics, gets report buttons pushed like letters on our keyboards and accusations that we are haters and bigots that are too mean to be real Christians. Boo hoo poor anti-Christian babies huh? If you are going to sling mud, be prepared to have dirty hands.

Quote:
Does becoming a Christian, which is a very emotional affair, create a super-sensitive person, or is it that typically only super-sensitive people BECOME Christian?


You are looking at the wrong individuals and crowds here. It looks to me like it is the politically correct secularists, anti Christians and other common adversaries of Christians that get all frothy when questioned about the quality of their behaviors.

You need to be here awhile and observe reality. Although it appears Christen are held to a higher standard (and one would obviously think they know why), they don't usually last a whole lot of time here. While the anti's get awards and longevity. Just watch the usernames and post counts.

I know I have been accused of hurting the feelings of anti-Christians so often, I don't know if anyone can produce a time I am not being railed against for being mean to those whose non and anti Christian rants I am responding to . . . whose sensitivities and "personal" feelings get hurt seemingly endlessly.

Just keep your eyes and mind open.

Maybe I'm wrong and maybe I'm right. I'm stating it's the latter.


Warning Moderator Warning


This here..."Boo hoo poor anti-Christian babies huh?" Regardless or the merits of the arguments on either side, this is just plain mockery and sarcasm. Blatantly uncivil.

Please review our Rules.

______________

Moderator warnings count as a strike against users. Additional violations in the future may warrant a final warning. Any challenges or replies to moderator postings should be made via Private Message to avoid derailing topics.

Goto top, bottom
View user's profile 
Post BBCode URL - Right click and save to clipboard to use later in post Post 35: Mon Oct 06, 2014 4:46 am
Reply
Re: Christians' feelings hurt

Like this post
[Replying to post 32 by 99percentatheism]

Quote:
How many Christians are left here?
No idea - you'd have to count them but 1 is 2 too many for me
Quote:
Just not the case in my experience.
Everyone's different
Quote:
Boo hoo poor anti-Christian babies huh?
No idea what you're talking about
Quote:
You are looking at the wrong individuals and crowds here.
Maybe I'm looking at the right ones and you're looking at the wrong ones?
Quote:
You need to be here awhile and observe reality.
Reality is that Christians are some (if not THE) loudest crying, most hypocritical, sneaky groups in the US. They want others to believe as they do. They want laws passed to their benefit. They look down on others of different beliefs. And they, as a whole, can't all agree on the same things!
A house divided and all that.
Christianity is the biggest scam in human history and weak minded people fall for it daily. It's very sad to me to think a book, written by men (which is all Christianity has going for it as far as facts are concerned) effectively uses guilt fear and differences to amass followers with no desire to be themselves.

Goto top, bottom
View user's profile 
Post BBCode URL - Right click and save to clipboard to use later in post Post 36: Mon Oct 06, 2014 8:15 am
Reply
Re: Christians' feelings hurt

Like this post
dianaiad wrote:

Zzyzx wrote:

.
dianaiad wrote:


Aside from those things, which theists also have, what else is there at the end of life besides death, for non-believers?


Theists do not have anything more than Non-Theists except theistic beliefs that cannot be shown to be any more than imagination. If one hopes that Santa will bring them a new car are they somehow better off than someone who realizes that it is irrational to expect Santa to do so?

I see no great value in "hope" that is not grounded in reality. One can "hope" they win the lottery, or get a good job, or find a great mate (or go to heaven). Perhaps it would be prudent instead to acquire marketable and social skills (rather than some hollow "hope").


Given that most religions combine hope with preparation...exactly the sort of 'preparation' and 'good living' that those without hope do, what's the harm?

If you have two people...both of whom are nice to their neighbors, kind to their pets, good at their jobs and loving to their children, how does one of them also having a hope of heaven mess his life up?


A good analogy if that was indeed the case 100%
It's not
If ONE believer tries to enforce their belief onto another that's 2 too many
Believers should keep their beliefs to themselves UNLESS ASKED TO SHARE. This doesn't mean a believer should NOT be allowed to decorate their house at Easter or go to church or simple things like that. It means they should NOT be allowed to sneak their beliefs into (for example) the education system as science (which is decietful and very unchristian) or say 'this group of people can't do this because it offends my religious view' or things like that.
And YES that goes for all parties involved - atheists as well.
So long as these types of things are adhered too, most would be OK with it all. Of course, not everyone will be OK with it on both sides of the fence. I would HOPE those people don't represent the majority.
Call me crazy but I don't think that's too much to ask of a logical person with common sense. But those people may indeed be a minority in this world these days Shocked

Goto top, bottom
View user's profile 
Post BBCode URL - Right click and save to clipboard to use later in post Post 37: Tue Oct 07, 2014 4:53 am
Reply
Re: Christians' feelings hurt

Like this post
[Replying to post 24 by FarWanderer]

Go on tell us what more there is.

edit: To note that you did tell us more when talking to Dianaiad.


Last edited by Wootah on Tue Oct 07, 2014 5:43 am; edited 1 time in total

Goto top, bottom
View user's profile 
Post BBCode URL - Right click and save to clipboard to use later in post Post 38: Tue Oct 07, 2014 5:37 am
Reply

Like this post
[Replying to post 18 by JoeyKnothead]

Oh hi Joey I missed this one.

Quote:
If you're such a realist, why is it, that you think dead folks come out of caves and stroll through town?
You think that a historical fact is unrealistic. I think it is realistic. However there are other issues that hinge on Jesus rising from the grave that become unreal if He didn't. I rarely see an atheist accepting the many metaphysical concepts: such as love, morality, justice are simply illusions.

Quote:
I ABHOR your arrogant, unsupported, and downright supercilious argument.
I went to give you 10 points for this line but I thought I was abusing the MPG system if I did so.

Quote:
You offer nothing - where it is, nothing is the complete absence of something - to support your argument.

Beyond your religious pride.

Pride borne of nothing other'n you're real proud it is, it's you that thinks it.


By all means - nefarious or not - offer up your evidence.

Present your evidence to the light of day.

Or let it forever cower in darkness, like so many vampires!
This is poetry.

However it is your perception that I have religious pride when know that I have none. How can I be proud of something I didn't do? When it comes to salvation, God did all the work. I assure you I find this fact (feature of Christianity) humiliating.

What evidence do you feel has not been presented to you? Jesus is a historically verifiable fact, a more verifiable fact that probably any ancient historical event we know of. The logic behind Jesus's necessity is as yet to my knowledge here at least unassailable. The creation story of evolution and long ages is not as rock solid as it appears. What evidence do you feel is still inadequate to accept that my faith is realistic and valid in this present time?

Goto top, bottom
View user's profile 
Post BBCode URL - Right click and save to clipboard to use later in post Post 39: Tue Oct 07, 2014 5:53 am
Reply

Like this post
[Replying to post 38 by Wootah]

Quote:
there are other issues that hinge on Jesus rising from the grave that become unreal if He didn't.

Go on tell us what they are.
Quote:
I rarely see an atheist accepting the many metaphysical concepts: such as love, morality, justice are simply illusions.

I rarely see an atheist accepting the many metaphysical concepts: such as love, morality, justice are simply illusions. [/quote] Hmm... Think
I would challenge the honesty of this statement. Maybe you need to pay closer attention?
Quote:
Jesus is a historically verifiable fact, a more verifiable fact that probably any ancient historical event we know of.
MORE verifiable than probably any ancient historical event? How's that? Can you expand on this (probable) fact?
Quote:
The creation story of evolution and long ages is not as rock solid as it appears.
Nor is your belief in a bearded man in the clouds, but it at least has verifiable evidence to support it - evidence that we can touch and test and verify to carious degrees. All Christianity has is a book of stories that tell us it's true. On a scale of 1-5 where 5 is absolute truth, evolution is a 4½ while Christianity - the supernatural aspect not the worship of - is at best a ½ - at least it seems to me having been a practicing Christian (shamfully)

Goto top, bottom
View user's profile 
Post BBCode URL - Right click and save to clipboard to use later in post Post 40: Tue Oct 07, 2014 10:06 am
Reply

Like this post
Wordleymaster1 wrote:

[Replying to post 38 by Wootah]

Quote:
there are other issues that hinge on Jesus rising from the grave that become unreal if He didn't.

Go on tell us what they are.
Quote:
I rarely see an atheist accepting the many metaphysical concepts: such as love, morality, justice are simply illusions.

I rarely see an atheist accepting the many metaphysical concepts: such as love, morality, justice are simply illusions.
Hmm... Think
Quote:
I would challenge the honesty of this statement. Maybe you need to pay closer attention?


Are you claiming that atheists DO think that love, morality and justice are illusory?

Or did you misread Wootah's sentence, here? Wink

Wordleymaster1 wrote:
Quote:
Jesus is a historically verifiable fact, a more verifiable fact that probably any ancient historical event we know of.
MORE verifiable than probably any ancient historical event? How's that? Can you expand on this (probable) fact?
Quote:
The creation story of evolution and long ages is not as rock solid as it appears.
Nor is your belief in a bearded man in the clouds, but it at least has verifiable evidence to support it - evidence that we can touch and test and verify to carious degrees. All Christianity has is a book of stories that tell us it's true. On a scale of 1-5 where 5 is absolute truth, evolution is a 4½ while Christianity - the supernatural aspect not the worship of - is at best a ½ - at least it seems to me having been a practicing Christian (shamfully)


Why are you ashamed of having been a practicing Christian? Did being one cause you to go out and bash babies against the rocks, burn witches or put your children to death? Did you know any Christians around you who felt it incumbent upon them to do these things?

Did being a Christian cause you to break so many moral and ethical rules that you are utterly ashamed of having participated in that society?

Now me, I was an atheist once, and I'm not a bit ashamed of that. One should never be ashamed of honest seeking after truth.

............I am curious, however, have your morals and ethics so utterly changed since you became a non-believer that, had the police any idea of how you used to behave, you'd have to hide until the statute of limitations expires on your life of utter Christian depravity?

Or are your ethics and morals pretty much the same as they used to be, and the big change is the target at which you aim your arrows?

Goto top, bottom
View user's profile 
Display posts from previous:   

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Jump to:  
Facebook
Tweet

 




On The Web | Ecodia | Hymn Lyrics Apps
Facebook | Twitter

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group.   Produced by Ecodia.

Igloo   |  Lo-Fi Version