Banned
Banned

Two potential creation scenarios

Post #1

Post by agnosticatheist »

Let's assume for the sake of this debate that the following premises are true:

A: The Christian God exists

B: The Christian God created the universe

Now, let's consider two possible creation scenarios.

Scenario 1: God created each species in a separate creation event.

Scenario 1 questions for debate:

1. Why would God create each species in separate creation events and yet make it appear that each species emerged from earlier lifeforms? Wouldn't that make God dishonest?

2. The Bible says that God is trustworthy; can he still be trusted if he made it look like large-scale evolution has taken place when in fact it hasn't?

3. Why would God make it look like large-scale evolution has taken place when in fact it hasn't, knowing full well that this will cause many to doubt God's existence?

Scenario 2: God created the conditions in which carbon-based lifeforms could emerge and evolve on Earth, and eventually lead to the emergence of Homo Sapiens, which God would give a soul to (and perhaps make some other minor changes to), which would result in the creation of Homo Sapiens Sapiens, or Modern Humans.

Scenario B Question for debate:

1. Why would God go to all that trouble when he could simply create each species in separate creation events?

Here's a broader set of questions that apply to both scenarios:

Why would God create lifeforms other than humans? Clearly humans are important because they "house" the human soul. But what about Wolves? Crocodiles? Crows? Gorillas?

What is the role of non-human lifeforms in God's "plan"?

Do they have souls too? Consciousness/awareness is a state that people claim is possible due to the soul.

Well, the more we observe and study the non-human natural world, the more it seems that consciousness/awareness exists on a spectrum, from human-level awareness (or perhaps higher...), down to complete non-consciousness/non-awareness (e.g. bacteria). There isn't some absolute line where life is divided between conscious and non-conscious, except for maybe at the "lower lifeform levels", but definitely not at the "higher lifeform levels". Dogs are conscious, they just aren't conscious to the same degree that humans are.

So, why create lifeforms besides humans and have consciousness exist on a spectrum?

Why would God do this knowing full well that it would cause people to question his existence?

It just seems to be such an interesting coincidence that God created lifeform consciousness on a spectrum. :-k

Danmark
Site Supporter

Post #121

Post by Danmark »

Volbrigade wrote: [Replying to post 117 by Danmark]

It seems like I've defined "epistemology" at least a half a dozen times. "Knowledge -- it's scope and limits..."

I don't know why God gave men nipples, Dan. Maybe because He intended Adam and Eve to be "one flesh". Maybe so he and Eve (and their descendants) could rub their respective pairs together, in erotic foreplay. Read "The Song of Solomon" sometime.

Maybe because if men didn't have nipples, as part of the Y chromosome, it would muck up the works for the ladies somehow.

One thing's for sure -- since God did it, there's a good reason. That's what we find, when we look: "why did God...?" "Ah! That's why!"

As opposed to the standard atheo-secular... Whateverist epistemology, which leads to no answers for anything.

"Why is the universe here?"

"What caused it?"

"Why did microbes form?"

"Why did they increase in information, until they became men?" (we won't bother with 'how')

"How does the fact that they did give meaning and purpose to my life?"

"Why am I here?"

"What is the true? What is the good?"

"Why should I do good?"

Why should I do anything?"

Gee, I dunno... whatever...
Well, you may have described your knowledge accurately with your last line.

However many times you may have defined epistemology, you've still got it wrong. Literally epistemology is the study of knowledge. "Put concisely, it is the study of knowledge and justified belief. It questions what knowledge is and how it can be acquired, and the extent to which knowledge pertinent to any given subject or entity can be acquired."
_ Wikipedia

But in any case you have avoided the question, which dealt with your claim that it 'depends upon one's epistemology.' What form of epistemology are you talking about?

What way of knowing is superior in your mind, than the scientific method?

Whatever you say about science it is clear that your "way of knowing" seems to involve the apriori acceptance of the existence of a god and that he is responsible for everything. I come to this conclusion based on your:
One thing's for sure -- since God did it, there's a good reason.

This does not suggest any epistemology at all. Rather, it suggests you just believe because you believe. This is precisely and exactly the opposite of the scientific method as a way of knowing. It also puts an end to any debate on the subject. I accept that as your position.

You've answered one question at least:

You don't know why God put nipples on men, but you are satisfied he did and had a reason. Fine. But let us not pretend that you are interested in using the scientific method to discover the answer, or the answer to any of the questions you posed just now.

Your answer to each of your questions is "God." As I say, that is fine for you and I conclude that answer is neither rational or justifiable; but I admit it is not debatable with you.

Volbrigade
Banned
Banned

Post #122

Post by Volbrigade »

[Replying to post 119 by FarWanderer]

I don't want you to think I've been ignoring your posts, FW. I have been occupied, during the amount of time I have to devote to these idle musings, mostly with Joey and Dan.

Here is a good opportunity to tie yours and Dan's last comment, below yours, together.

Faith in one's cognitive abilities includes acknowledging the axiomatic truth that "everything that has a beginning must have a cause."

That the universe is not exempt from this axiom, simply because it is the universe.

And that the cause of the universe must lie outside the universe itself -- it being impossible for a thing to cause itself (and lest there be the usual objection -- matter quantum fluctuates in and and of existence, according to theoretical particle physics; the universe is simply a massive quantum fluctuation, that happened to "stick": something had to cause the matter to quantum fluctuate).

Our cognitive abilities further lead us to conclude one of two things, in regard to this cause of the universe:

It is either mindless, impersonal, and indifferent; it following that the universe is a random event, without meaning or purpose:

Or it has the qualities of Mind; and hence Intelligence and Will; and the universe is the product of deliberate Design, which expresses Information (the opposite of randomness); and that Mind has a meaning, plan, and purpose for the universe It (He) created, as a subset of Its (His) own spiritual hypersdimensionality.

Intelligence Will Design Information.

That is the first step in our cognitive pursuit: all else will follow from which of those steps you choose to take. As I hope I have made clear, the universe is designed in such a manner as to provide constant, continual empirical confirmation of either step, no matter how far you follow its consequent path; without providing conclusive proof of either.

Such is the reality that we face.

In terms of the "debate" -- my only purpose here is to frame it in its proper terms. And yes, it is properly termed a debate in regard to epistemologies, as I apparently must type out, yet again. One epistemology admits knowledge from "outside our time domain"; the other not only does not admit it; or even allow the possibility of it; it does not permit it as inclusive of the term "epistemology".

So we have an uncrossable gulf in our cognitive positions and understanding, right from the onset. Which is to be expected: "what communion has light with darkness?"

The debate that follows from those two fundamental positions is purely and simply over the interpretation of the evidence that is available, through the prisms of the conflicting and opposite epistemologies.

I believe that debate to be beyond the scope of this thread, subforum, or even this site. I, at least, am not interested in, nor qualified to, debate every piece of evidence in terms of whether it is the result of gradual processes in a random universe; or the act of a God who created the universe, and then exercised judgement on His creation through a transformative global flood that resurfaced the face of the earth.

That debate becomes an argument over nipples.

One side says nipples must have evolved, according to the properties of matter, like everything else in the biosphere (wings, eyes, the sonar system of bats, the GPS navigation system of bees) -- I mean, why would God give them to men? Is she such a poor designer?

The other side counters that if men did not have nipples, as part of their information package, would it not dramatically increase the chances of females being born without them, due to a copying error (the result of the law of entropy, which was initiated with the Fall)?

I don't know about you -- but I am happy with my nipples, and am glad that God gave them to me. And my wife (bless her) thinks they're kind of cute.

And don't forget -- there's no reason not to think that God doesn't have a sense of humor (please refer to the last paragraph of Chesteron's landmark "Orthodoxy").

One last thing -- which I am happy to make my final remark; but am not issuing an ultimatum in that regard:

I think this forum is mis-titled. Or, at least, that there should be another one, to reflect the reality of our circumstances.

Not "Science and Religion":

but "Science IS a Religion (or has become one)".
8-)

Wootah
Savant

Post #123

Post by Wootah »

[Replying to post 110 by Volbrigade]
I believe that FAITH is the crucial (literally, "of the cross") element in entering and obtaining the Spirit life
Yes but even as a fellow Christian I must protest a little. I believe I have many good reasons for my faith, grounded in many sciences. None of these are proof of God but all of them are solid reasons to have faith.

I strongly believe that people that ultimately deny Christ are rejecting solid evidence for faith and it is not merely that they and I have no evidence and I picked faith and they did not.

Perhaps I do not know what you are saying, perhaps you are saying that faith in Jesus is essential (which I agree with) but those thoughts came to mind for me.
Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

Member Notes: viewtopic.php?t=33826

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."

Volbrigade
Banned
Banned

Post #124

Post by Volbrigade »

Wootah wrote: [Replying to post 110 by Volbrigade]
I believe that FAITH is the crucial (literally, "of the cross") element in entering and obtaining the Spirit life
Yes but even as a fellow Christian I must protest a little. I believe I have many good reasons for my faith, grounded in many sciences. None of these are proof of God but all of them are solid reasons to have faith.

I strongly believe that people that ultimately deny Christ are rejecting solid evidence for faith and it is not merely that they and I have no evidence and I picked faith and they did not.

Perhaps I do not know what you are saying, perhaps you are saying that faith in Jesus is essential (which I agree with) but those thoughts came to mind for me.
Thanks for chiming in, brother! 8-)

I don't see any area of disagreement between us. I have been engaged in a (to me) rather spirited exchange with a variety of skeptics, scoffers, and other unbelievers. Naturally, my means of address, and what and how I convey what I have to say, will be different than with fellow believers -- while still conforming to the Truth, without confusing them further with concepts they neither accept, nor or able to understand.

If you've read my comments further, past the one quoted, you will see that (imo) there are are "many good reasons" for either side of the faith "coin" (theist or m2m); be it the simple "God must have done it" vs. "I don't believe in the 'flying spaghetti monster''; or the rare air of debate over the efficacy of radiometric dating; or the mechanisms (or lack of them) to increase the information in the genome to get from germs to Germans.

IOWs -- if you are a Christian, you do indeed have "good reason" to believe what you believe, on any level -- including the empirical.

Better, in fact, than the atheo-m2m-scientism "Whateverist". FAR better.

My comment, which you quoted, was merely an oblique reference to the fact that we are SAVED by faith alone ("enter the Spirit life"), and not by our own works or merits. Mentioned should there be any believers following along.

Glad to see there is one! :D

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Post #125

Post by JoeyKnothead »

JoeyKnothead wrote: From Post 113:
Volbrigade wrote: ...
And the Truth is that the tomb was empty
I challenge you to show you speak truth in this regard.
Volbrigade wrote: and that Jesus has returned to the Father
Volbrigade wrote: from whom He is begotten
Volbrigade wrote: and will return
Volbrigade wrote: in Power and Great glory
I note our claimant is an active participant in the thread, and how it is this'll be the...

2nd challenge.
I might be Teddy Roosevelt, but I ain't.
-Punkinhead Martin

Danmark
Site Supporter

Post #126

Post by Danmark »

Volbrigade wrote:Naturally, my means of address, and what and how I convey what I have to say, will be different than with fellow believers -- while still conforming to the Truth, without confusing them further with concepts they neither accept, nor or able to understand.
This of course is haughty, pride filled nonsense. There is nothing in the simplistic denials or claims you've made that are beyond anyone's understanding. Because one disagrees with nonsense, does not mean he does not understand it , or that he does not understand it as nonsense.

As has been your claim throughout, you make general statements and either do not or cannot support them with specifics. When challenged to debate a specific point, you've retreated into some vague version of "that's not why I'm here."

Volbrigade
Banned
Banned

Post #127

Post by Volbrigade »

Danmark wrote:
Volbrigade wrote:Naturally, my means of address, and what and how I convey what I have to say, will be different than with fellow believers -- while still conforming to the Truth, without confusing them further with concepts they neither accept, nor or able to understand.
This of course is haughty, pride filled nonsense. There is nothing in the simplistic denials or claims you've made that are beyond anyone's understanding. Because one disagrees with nonsense, does not mean he does not understand it , or that he does not understand it as nonsense.

As has been your claim throughout, you make general statements and either do not or cannot support them with specifics. When challenged to debate a specific point, you've retreated into some vague version of "that's not why I'm here."
First -- Joey:

what sort of evidence would satisfy you in regard to the items in your "challenge"? If you saw the nail prints in His wrists (or hands), and put your hand in the wound made when the centurion pierced His side?

Dan --

no offense intended.

I was addressing a fellow Christian; and as such, assumed a shared understanding that, I think it's fair to say, that you and others do not accept -- no disagreement there, is there? -- and do not understand.

Not because you're incapable of understanding -- you certainly are -- but the carnal man is opaque to spiritual truths. That's not my opinion; that's a creed of the Christian faith.

It is true, in my experience -- both personal (I was once a carnal man, myself, prior to accepting Christ) and observational.

I understand how that statement wouldn't sit well with you. But it wasn't directed at you.

Goat
Site Supporter

Post #128

Post by Goat »

Volbrigade wrote:
Danmark wrote:

First -- Joey:

what sort of evidence would satisfy you in regard to the items in your "challenge"? If you saw the nail prints in His wrists (or hands), and put your hand in the wound made when the centurion pierced His side?

Dan --

no offense intended.

I was addressing a fellow Christian; and as such, assumed a shared understanding that, I think it's fair to say, that you and others do not accept -- no disagreement there, is there? -- and do not understand.

Not because you're incapable of understanding -- you certainly are -- but the carnal man is opaque to spiritual truths. That's not my opinion; that's a creed of the Christian faith.

It is true, in my experience -- both personal (I was once a carnal man, myself, prior to accepting Christ) and observational.

I understand how that statement wouldn't sit well with you. But it wasn't directed at you.

Well then, it's you who is is making the claim. Do you have evidence that can be examined objectively?? If you have a 'personal experience' with God, can you demonstrate to others that your interpretation of that experience is true.

Seems to me that asking 'what evidence would you accept' is admitting that you don't have any evidence you can show others.
“What do you think science is? There is nothing magical about science. It is simply a systematic way for carefully and thoroughly observing nature and using consistent logic to evaluate results. So which part of that exactly do you disagree with? Do you disagree with being thorough? Using careful observation? Being systematic? Or using consistent logic?�

Steven Novella

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Post #129

Post by JoeyKnothead »

From Post 126:
Volbrigade wrote: First -- Joey:

what sort of evidence would satisfy you in regard to the items in your "challenge"?
I'd expect it to pass muster with site rules and regulations all have fessed to, for then we all get to tell our tales.

That kind.
Volbrigade wrote: If you saw the nail prints in His wrists (or hands), and put your hand in the wound made when the centurion pierced His side?
Have you?

I refer you back to the claims in question.

It's my assertion that we can all gain some understanding into the insight of debaters who make claims and then neither support, nor deny 'em when challenged. Theory of mind.
Volbrigade wrote:
And the Truth is that the tomb was empty

Volbrigade wrote:
and that Jesus has returned to the Father

Volbrigade wrote:
from whom He is begotten

Volbrigade wrote:
and will return

Volbrigade wrote:
in Power and Great glory

Don't leave your seats, we're off to round three.
I might be Teddy Roosevelt, but I ain't.
-Punkinhead Martin

Volbrigade
Banned
Banned

Post #130

Post by Volbrigade »

[Replying to post 128 by JoeyKnothead]

An interesting turn of phrase.

Is the challenge to show that I speak the truth in regard to what I believe?

If so, I merely return the challenge. Show me that you speak the truth when you say you believe that "matter acting according to its properties" is sufficient to explain microbes becoming abstract-thinking men.

I will courteously allow you to go first. ;)

If the challenge is to show that what I believe is true:

I am satisfied that's precisely what I've been doing.

If my argument is not sufficient, nor satisfying to you -- so be it.

I have the same attitude towards yours, Dan's, et. al. So we're even.

As I have repeated, the evidence is the same for everyone -- Creationist; m2m evolutionist; vague and disinterested Whateverist.

The interpretation of that evidence will either lead in the direction of truth, or error.

That interpretation will be predicated on one's a priori beliefs -- one's worldview, based (knowingly or not) in one's epistemology; what one accepts as the scope and limits of knowledge (I'm repeating myself, I know. This is a radical concept, for those who have unquestioningly accepted the propaganda that "the universe is all that ever is, was, or will be").

One need not be aware of their epistemological stance. It may be -- and usually is -- latent. One is trained in the thinking that the Bible is a Bronze Age document, full of fables made up by men; themselves the product of "changes in an allele" from more primitive organisms in the distant past; and as such has no interest or usefulness, beyond its being a curious expression of how people thought in the past.

But not so fast.

That book has some unique properties, and makes some unique claims.

It claims to provide a history of the Creator of our universe, and of His relationship with both it, and the people that He created as its crowning achievement. Its unlikely history as the record of an otherwise historically insignificant ethnic group, who are extant to this day, primarily as a result of their attachment to its text (where are the Hittites today? Why is there no "Debating Hittite Paganism" website? 8-) ), and of their reestablishment in their ancestral land, in fulfillment of promises laid out in the book 2,500 years earlier, certainly merits an objective look at it, on its own.

But then, you must account for the much greater impact that has arisen from its claims: that one of those ethnic people, a Jew who worked as a craftsman, and never wrote a sentence or led an army or ruled a kingdom (of this earth ;) ) has become the most well-known person who ever lived; due to His claims to be the very Creator spoken of in the Hebrew texts, come to earth as a man in order to rectify the human condition of sin and spiritual death, which is empirically verified by a brief perusal of each day's newspaper headlines and news channels.

And the question, then, becomes:

can we believe any of the claims made in this collection of texts, which we call the Bible? And, due to its unique characteristic of being an integrated package of information which is thematically and idiomatically consistent across its entire "bandwidth"; replete with macro-coding (e.g., Numbers 21:4-9 ---> John 3:15) and embedded microcoding within the text itself -- can we (and must we, if we are serious about the pursuit of truth), believe all of them?

And the answer to that question is predicated on one central issue:

Was the Man who He said He was? Did He achieve victory over death, and defeat the spiritual enemy and accuser of man, by rising from the grave into an eternal hyperdimensionality, so that we may do the same through our faith in Him?

That is the choice you have before you. That is the claim that has spread through the entire world, from the most humble of beginnings (a rag-tag group of followers of a disgraced and ignominiously executed itinerant preacher), to inform the (first) Western world, and in our time is spreading throughout the entire world -- again, in fulfillment of its claims.

And you want me to... let's see... "show you speak truth in this regard"?.

Okay.

I submit that if that central fact is true -- the Man is the King of the Jews, and King and Creator of the Universe, who now sits on the "throne of God" --

then that is sufficient to validate all other claims in the Biblical text.

So let's take the first one.

The Bible claims that God created the earth in six "ordinary" days. Careful exegesis of the genealogies puts this occurrence at about 6,000 years ago.

True? Or not?

You'll want evidence.

But wait -- this claim seems absurd, on the face of it. The speed of light has been measured, verified, and well established. And we can infer that there are distant objects in the universe whose light would've required billions of years to reach us, at the established rate of light travel. We can therefore infer that the universe is, at a minimum, billions of years old.

Cased closed. Whatever value the creation account has as a truth claim, must be considered symbolic and allegorical, if not void. And if it's merely symbolical there, there is no reason to believe its central claims, in regard to Jesus Christ, are not also of a symbolic, allegorical nature.

I'm sure we're together so far.

But wait:

If you examine the evidence in light of a serious consideration of the Biblical account being a true one, you reach a different conclusion. If you consider that God, in formulating our space-time reality, first created the mass of the earth, then hydrogen and oxygen (waters), and then light -- then you have a very interesting gravitational situation. Add in the "stretching" of the "firmament" that separated the "waters" that were "above" and "below" it -- when you factor in those possibilities, and our understanding of time as a physical property, which is subject to dilation by gravitational and other forces, then you arrive at a very different cosmology. One that explains what we observe, as satisfactorily (if not more so) than the agnostic Big Bang cosmologies -- and with no more attendant problems, if not less (i.e., all BB models have their own "light transit" problems, which require their own ad hoc solutions)

To sum up: if the Bible is true, we may safely conclude that galaxies at the far end of our observable universe (which we appear to be near the center of -- another BB problem) are separated from us by distance -- but not time, in the sense of our mundane, uniformitarian understanding of it.

We could turn here, in our quest to demonstrate the 'speaking of truth', to the differing accounts between the m2m proposals regarding the depositions of the geologic and fossil records, and the Biblical one.

But look at me! I've typed on and on here -- and I don't want to be a bandwith hog.

Let me offer you your turn.

Here's a subject that I would enjoy your "speaking truth" in regard to.

IF human beings are, as you say, the result of "matter acting according to its properties", by first assembling chemicals into a "simple" living organism (a cell -- a simple one, no more complex than, say, the infrastructure of NYC) and then being acted on by -- gravity? electricity? some other force or forces? Oh yes: "matter's properties" -- so that it went through subsequent increases in information, and changes in phyum and what have you, until it became a mammal, and then an ape-like creature, and then the ape known as "Man":

On what basis, if that is true, is a human being of any more value or worth than a chicken, pig, or sponge?

Please provide the scientific evidence that supports that one human should treat another any differently than they would treat, say, a fungus?

If you would provide that evidence, and demonstrate that you "speak truth in that regard"...

I sure would appreciate it. 8-)