If God went away, what would happen?

To discuss Jewish topics and issues

Moderator: Moderators

Willum
Savant

If God went away, what would happen?

Post #1

Post by Willum »

If God disappeared tomorrow, what would change? Say he simply went away to higher dimensions for reasons we can't know and wouldn't understand.

I posted this on another forum, and it rather went sideways. I know I shouldn't have to say it here; but we start with the assumption that God exists, but has gone away for some reason.

What would change?

Goat
Site Supporter

Re: If God went away, what would happen?

Post #2

Post by Goat »

Willum wrote: If God disappeared tomorrow, what would change? Say he simply went away to higher dimensions for reasons we can't know and wouldn't understand.

I posted this on another forum, and it rather went sideways. I know I shouldn't have to say it here; but we start with the assumption that God exists, but has gone away for some reason.

What would change?

In Judaism, absolute nothing. Judaism is a works based religion to a large extent, and not a faith based one. THere are a number of practicing, religious Jews, even in the orthodox that are atheists. The Reconstructionist Jews have eliminated the belief in the supernatural, but follow Jewish traditions, holidays, and philosophy. God in Reconstructionist Judaism is more the god of Spinoza, the natural processes of the world.

The Humanistic Judaism are similar to the reconstructionist Jews in the fact they go a bit further
“What do you think science is? There is nothing magical about science. It is simply a systematic way for carefully and thoroughly observing nature and using consistent logic to evaluate results. So which part of that exactly do you disagree with? Do you disagree with being thorough? Using careful observation? Being systematic? Or using consistent logic?�

Steven Novella

Willum
Savant

Post #3

Post by Willum »

[Replying to post 2 by Goat]

Hmmm, how can Spinoza be rectified with Judaism? It more spiritualism isn't it? An impartial deity more in line with Modern Greek deism, that God is infinitely powerful, but also infinitely remote and unconcerned?

Probably need to truncate the thread pretty quick, as it's trending outside Judaism...

Goat
Site Supporter

Post #4

Post by Goat »

Willum wrote: [Replying to post 2 by Goat]

Hmmm, how can Spinoza be rectified with Judaism? It more spiritualism isn't it? An impartial deity more in line with Modern Greek deism, that God is infinitely powerful, but also infinitely remote and unconcerned?

Probably need to truncate the thread pretty quick, as it's trending outside Judaism...

NO, it's more Nature as God , rather than spiritualism. It is closer, but not quite pantheism
“What do you think science is? There is nothing magical about science. It is simply a systematic way for carefully and thoroughly observing nature and using consistent logic to evaluate results. So which part of that exactly do you disagree with? Do you disagree with being thorough? Using careful observation? Being systematic? Or using consistent logic?�

Steven Novella

cnorman19
Apprentice

Post #5

Post by cnorman19 »

Seems to me a better question might be -- If God disappeared tomorrow, how would we KNOW?