Why did God did not want manking wise (intellegent)

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Donray
Guru

Why did God did not want manking wise (intellegent)

Post #1

Post by Donray »

God did not want Adam and Eve to eat the fruit from the tree of knowledge and become wise.

Why did God want mankind to remain stupid and ignorant?

Zzyzx
Site Supporter

Re: Why did God did not want manking wise (intellegent)

Post #2

Post by Zzyzx »

Donray wrote: God did not want Adam and Eve to eat the fruit from the tree of knowledge and become wise.

It would not seem as though a "god" would want humans to be ignorant. However, self-identified clerics, preachers, prophets and promoters who claim to represent gods might prefer that people be at least gullible and naive (and/or ignorant).

Since clerics etc are the ones telling stories about gods, they can have gods saying whatever benefits the clergy -- and convince gullible, naive and ignorant people to believe what they are told. The stories need not make sense if they are unquestioned.

Knowledge is gained by asking questions and seeking truthful and accurate answers -- which often puts it in opposition to what religion promoters tell people to believe.
Non-Theist

ANY of the thousands of "gods" proposed, imagined, worshiped, loved, feared, and/or fought over by humans MAY exist -- awaiting verifiable evidence

jeager106
Scholar

Post #3

Post by jeager106 »

[Replying to post 1 by dooray]
YOUR QUESTION LACKS CLARITY.
Have you even read Genesis? Go back, then and read it again.
Then post a proper question-an accurate one.

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Post #4

Post by JoeyKnothead »

From the OP:

Why didn't God want mankind to be wise?

I never met a man selling grits as gold, that he didn't get upset I could tell the difference.

(clarifactional edit clarificational edit)
I might be Teddy Roosevelt, but I ain't.
-Punkinhead Martin

clive
Student

Post #5

Post by clive »

Donray wrote: God did not want Adam and Eve to eat the fruit from the tree of knowledge and become wise.

The tree was not a tree of knowledge. It was a tree of the knowledge of good and evil. Before they disobeyed they only knew good. In disobeying God they became aware of evil, or sin. Sin seperates...ie..notice they hid from the one they disobeyed. The only way back therefore is thru repentance and forgiveness.

clive
Student

Post #6

Post by clive »

[Replying to post 5 by clive]

Since Adam and Eve sinned the price for that sin was death. But if youll notice, two innocent animals died instead, in the place of the two sinners so that the animals skins could cover sins shame. This is a pattern throughout the bible. An innocent sacrifice is needed for the sinner to go free. And this continued until Christ became the final/ultimate LAMB of God who dies for sin, in the place of the sinner.

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Post #7

Post by JoeyKnothead »

From Post 6:
Since Adam and Eve sinned the price for that sin was death.
Your challenge now is to show such is / was the case.
I might be Teddy Roosevelt, but I ain't.
-Punkinhead Martin

rookiebatman
Sage

Post #8

Post by rookiebatman »

clive wrote: The tree was not a tree of knowledge. It was a tree of the knowledge of good and evil. Before they disobeyed they only knew good. In disobeying God they became aware of evil, or sin. Sin seperates...ie..notice they hid from the one they disobeyed. The only way back therefore is thru repentance and forgiveness.
Doesn't this pose a paradox, though? They disobeyed God before they had the awareness of good and evil, so they could not possibly have known that their actions were evil/sinful. And yet, not only themselves, but the entire human race after them paid the price for the sin they didn't even know was sinful. Does that seem just to you?

Divine Insight
Savant

Post #9

Post by Divine Insight »

rookiebatman wrote:
clive wrote: The tree was not a tree of knowledge. It was a tree of the knowledge of good and evil. Before they disobeyed they only knew good. In disobeying God they became aware of evil, or sin. Sin seperates...ie..notice they hid from the one they disobeyed. The only way back therefore is thru repentance and forgiveness.
Doesn't this pose a paradox, though? They disobeyed God before they had the awareness of good and evil, so they could not possibly have known that their actions were evil/sinful. And yet, not only themselves, but the entire human race after them paid the price for the sin they didn't even know was sinful. Does that seem just to you?
That's exactly right. The whole story of Adam and Eve's fall from grace is a logical absurdity.

Moreover, look at how the Bible claims it went down.

To begin with it wasn't even Adam or Eve's idea. They didn't rebel against God. Instead, a third party was required to beguile them in their innocence.

As the story goes on Eve confesses to everything, even testifying against the evil demon who beguiled her. She does everything that any good little Christian girl is supposed to do. She's not arguing with God or rebelling against him screaming that she sick and tired of his rules and she refuse to obey. On the contrary she's as cooperative as can be.

For this God curses her with greatly multiplied pain and sorrow in childbirth (the very act of procreation). What kind of a Creator God would use procreation as a weapon of punishment? That's just sick.

And besides, who is it that wants humans to procreate anyway? If I had been Eve I would have told God, "Fine, I won't have anymore kids then".

This is absolutely absurd that God is going to punish Eve via the very act of giving birth. And she's not even rebelling against him. On the contrary she's cooperating fully.

It's a ridiculous story. The only thing that truly baffles me about this story is the fact that anyone actually fell for it. And for so many centuries to boot! This is a testament to the gullibility of humankind if you ask me.

There is nothing about this ancient superstitious fable that makes any sense at all. I can't believe that modern day people are still defending this ancient superstitious tale.
[center]Image
Spiritual Growth - A person's continual assessment
of how well they believe they are doing
relative to what they believe a personal God expects of them.
[/center]

Wootah
Savant

Post #10

Post by Wootah »

[Replying to post 1 by Donray]

He probably should have at least taught them about false dichotomies.

They were clearly made with adult level intelligence.
Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

Member Notes: viewtopic.php?t=33826

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."