No
78%

Total votes: 9

Beyonder
Student

Truthful Views On Homosexuality?

Post #1

Post by Beyonder »

I wanted to make this post to see how others not just Christian's but of other faith's on the views of homosexuality from a truthful side and not a "Ima make myself look good for people." And I would like some detailed reasons about how you guys feel vs your religion.[/strike]

Youkilledkenny
Sage

Re: Truthful Views On Homosexuality?

Post #2

Post by Youkilledkenny »

[Replying to post 1 by Beyonder]

My view on the subject is that it's mostly biological - there may be external influences that play a small part in it as well - to varying degrees.
Besides, morality changes from person to person from location to location from time to time. In other words, it's ever changing. One's sexuality...? Not so changing.

Divine Insight
Savant

Post #3

Post by Divine Insight »

I don't see homosexuality as a "moral" issue at all. Why would it need to be judged on moral grounds?

As far as I can see the questions from my perspective are quite simple.

1. Do I personally have any desire to participate in homosexuality?

My answer is no. The thought of becoming sexually intimate with another man holds absolutely no attraction for me at all. Therefore it cannot even be a "temptation". It's my understanding that "sins" are something that we should at least be tempted to do.

2. Just because I personally have no desire to participate in homosexuality does not make it "immoral".

3. I see no harm in two consenting adults being both sexually and compassionately attracted to one another.

Why would anyone think that this would be "immoral"?

4. Many people, who desire a homosexual relationship appear to also desire a unique monogamous relationship, including socially recognized marriage.

How can anyone view that as being "immoral"?

What is immoral about monogamous love? :-k

5. While it is also true that there exists many homosexual people who may not care for monogamy, marriage, or may even be into potentially "immoral" sexual behaviors, this is also true of many heterosexual people. So there is nothing unique about homosexuality there.

Heterosexual people can be just as "immoral" as homosexual people in terms of behaviors overall. For example heterosexual adultery is quite common.

So I don't see anything immoral about homosexuality itself.

What I do see as immoral are religious fanatics trying to shove their religious bigotry onto other people. And when it comes to the question of homosexuality I see quite a bit of religious bigotry being displayed, quite often in the name of Jesus, a demigod who supposedly taught love, compassion, and for people to be non-judgmental of each other.

So when it comes to "Religion and Sexuality" it appears to me that religion is far more guilty of being "immoral" than homosexuality could ever be said to be.
[center]Image
Spiritual Growth - A person's continual assessment
of how well they believe they are doing
relative to what they believe a personal God expects of them.
[/center]

Bust Nak
Savant

Re: Truthful Views On Homosexuality?

Post #4

Post by Bust Nak »

Beyonder wrote: I wanted to make this post to see how others not just Christian's but of other faith's on the views of homosexuality from a truthful side and not a "Ima make myself look good for people." And I would like some detailed reasons about how you guys feel vs your religion.
Faith and religion does not apply in my case, but I vote moral based, as in it's morally wrong to ban same-sex marriage; or it's morally wrong to discriminate based on sexuality.

OnceConvinced
Savant

Post #5

Post by OnceConvinced »

No for me morality doesn't come into it. I for one know myself that I never chose to be straight. Likewise I could never choose to be gay because the thought is just so repellent to me. So I know that I could never choose to be gay, so therefore the only conclusion I can come to is that nobody can choose to be gay UNLESS they are bi-sexual.

So I guess for me it comes down to biology. It's about what our desires are as a human being, what our drives are and what we find sexually appealing and what we don't.

Society and its morals evolve and will continue to evolve. The bible however remains the same and just requires more and more apologetics and claims of "metaphors" and "symbolism" to justify it.

Prayer is like rubbing an old bottle and hoping that a genie will pop out and grant you three wishes.

There is much about this world that is mind boggling and impressive, but I see no need whatsoever to put it down to magical super powered beings.

Check out my website: Recker's World

Wootah
Savant

Post #6

Post by Wootah »

[Replying to post 5 by OnceConvinced]

Morality has always hinged on free will - without free will then we are not culpable. Who do we deceive but ourselves?
Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

Member Notes: viewtopic.php?t=33826

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."

Jashwell
Guru

Post #7

Post by Jashwell »

[Replying to post 6 by Wootah]

Large parts of morality don't work well without reasonably deterministic free will.
Without deterministic free will, we're just blaming people for bad dice rolls.
Libertarian free will is terrible - who'd want to be such an incoherent person that they could reach different conclusions in the same situation?

Perceiving a choice is having a choice. From different vantage points and in different contexts, many choices may or may not exist. Having choice is free will.