Facepalm comments from theists

Where agnostics and atheists can freely discuss

Moderator: Moderators

rikuoamero
Under Probation

Facepalm comments from theists

Post #1

Post by rikuoamero »

Okay, so as the title says...this topic is where we atheist/agnostics/whatever post comments we think are facepalm worthy or just cause us to laugh out loud at the sheer stupidity of it. I'm talking comments where you read it and honestly have to ask yourself "Did they honestly think that, and NOT catch the obvious flaws in it?"

Rules
1) Do not name the person you're quoting. You can give us a general description of the person, even say it was a person from this site (which my first post will be!) but no names. Give them pseudonyms.
2) Give us exact quotes, or as close a paraphrase as you can.
3) Can't think of a number 3.

Anyway, my first post - I sighed, facepalmed and later laughed when I read this. It's from a person on this site. We're in a discussion and the person is talking about prayer, and it's effectiveness. This person believes prayer works (when God wants it to)
If you ask Christ and don't receive... that does not mean Christ is not there. Asking and receiving is conditional.

For instance, you cannot ask for something that is against the will of God and expect to receive it. You are also supposed to ask in faith... meaning without doubt... that you will receive it. If you do not ask in faith, then you cannot expect to receive what you have asked for. You still might receive it... but you cannot expect to.
(emphasis mine)
I'm sure I don't need to explain why this is a facepalm comment, given the parts I bolded.

Bust Nak
Savant

Post #2

Post by Bust Nak »

"If God didn't exist, Neither would atheists, we would all be the same? Therefore since Atheists exist, so must God."

"Atheists don't hate fairies, leprechauns, or unicorns because they don't exist. It is impossible to hate something that doesn't exist. Atheists, like the painting experts hated the painter, hate God because He does exist."

rikuoamero
Under Probation

Post #3

Post by rikuoamero »

Bust Nak wrote: "If God didn't exist, Neither would atheists, we would all be the same? Therefore since Atheists exist, so must God."

"Atheists don't hate fairies, leprechauns, or unicorns because they don't exist. It is impossible to hate something that doesn't exist. Atheists, like the painting experts hated the painter, hate God because He does exist."
Your first one is one I haven't heard before. It implies that if something doesn't exist, we'd all have hard knowledge of it, as if belief in the thing and the existence of the thing are one and the same.
There very well could be a god, but that doesn't mean I can't be perfectly justified in not believing there is.

rikuoamero
Under Probation

Post #4

Post by rikuoamero »

Right, here's another one. A new one.
No, this interpretation misses the mark. HE mentions Job to Satan knowing that Satan could not refuse the bait to attack Job. GOD was setting Satan up to expose to the sight of the whole world the full depths of his depravity and hate and Satan took the bait and was exposed.

Just because he was allowed to and his restraints were loosened Satan gleefully monstered the most holy old man on earth. This is what evil is without the restraining hand of GOD.

Hamsaka
Site Supporter

Re: Facepalm comments from theists

Post #5

Post by Hamsaka »

[Replying to post 1 by rikuoamero]

This one postponed my bedtime by about 45 minutes; it is hard to fall asleep when your jaw is on the floor, and the rest of you is in the bed.
What religion do you think are the ones who go into the deepest darkest jungles are , to bring ones antibiotics , and needs to keep them healthy and a live .

How many atheists are traipsing through the jungle to do this ? Not many. There are many Christian aid groups in the ME, many have lost their lives . How many " atheist aid groups " are in the ME ? I'm guessing zero. These missionaries and aid groups most of the time can not even proselytize, without risking jail or death . They go right into the jaws of danger to help , knowing they can nit spread the word . You will find no other religion as prevalent as Christians as far as helping the needy.

The fortitude of Christianity saves millions of lives yearly. Using the word weak and Christianity, is surely an oxymoron.

They seem to have it locked up in the most dangerous parts of the world . Show me any other religion or secular group that even comes close to helping the world .

rikuoamero
Under Probation

Re: Facepalm comments from theists

Post #6

Post by rikuoamero »

[Replying to post 5 by Hamsaka]

I wonder who said that ;)

BwhoUR
Sage

Post #7

Post by BwhoUR »

After pointing out that the Bible uses terms like "virgin" and "prostitute" to describe women in the Bible almost without fail and that it is impossible for modern women to identify with them because of how they are described and because of what happens to them as a result, this exchange developed:

Quote:
For that matter is being a prostitute a bad thing? I mean to play the advocate for the devil who are you to say a woman can't profit from her sexuality? Or for that matter, decide to never have sex?

Me: I think prostitution should be legal and regulated to protect the women's safety as much as possible. Should we address prostitutes by a special name whenever we speak of them or to them?

Quote: I honestly don't know why you are saying this, but no.

:facepalm:

Goat
Site Supporter

Post #8

Post by Goat »

suckka wrote: After pointing out that the Bible uses terms like "virgin" and "prostitute" to describe women in the Bible almost without fail and that it is impossible for modern women to identify with them because of how they are described and because of what happens to them as a result, this exchange developed:

Quote:
For that matter is being a prostitute a bad thing? I mean to play the advocate for the devil who are you to say a woman can't profit from her sexuality? Or for that matter, decide to never have sex?

Me: I think prostitution should be legal and regulated to protect the women's safety as much as possible. Should we address prostitutes by a special name whenever we speak of them or to them?

Quote: I honestly don't know why you are saying this, but no.

:facepalm:
It's just how Christians translate the terms. Sometimes, words that are translated by Christians as 'virgin' mean 'young woman of marrying age'.
“What do you think science is? There is nothing magical about science. It is simply a systematic way for carefully and thoroughly observing nature and using consistent logic to evaluate results. So which part of that exactly do you disagree with? Do you disagree with being thorough? Using careful observation? Being systematic? Or using consistent logic?�

Steven Novella

Tired of the Nonsense
Site Supporter

Post #9

Post by Tired of the Nonsense »

My favorite was probably the lady that told me she had indisputable proof that God exists. God promised not to to kill every living thing again, she tole me, as he did with the great flood. That was thousands of years ago. Every year for thousands of years the rains have come. But water levels on the earth have remained constant. Indisputable proof that God is keeping his word by regulating the amount of water that exists on the earth.

Image "The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honorable, but still primitive legends which are nevertheless pretty childish. No interpretation no matter how subtle can (for me) change this." -- Albert Einstein -- Written in 1954 to Jewish philosopher Erik Gutkind.

rikuoamero
Under Probation

Post #10

Post by rikuoamero »

(Yes I know I'm breaking my own rules in the OP, but I thought I'd share it nonetheless)

There's a certain user on this forum who identifies as being Eastern Orthodox and who has regularly defended his God as being a loving, caring God, and that he is a humble follower of what the Church declares.

Yet...I'm confused. Loving caring God who teaches to turn the other cheek? So...what's going on here?

and my personal favourite
(yeah I know it's a joke image)

I found the following
https://oca.org/questions/society/war-and-non-violence
Thus if a man will be perfect he will renounce the relative values of this world totally and will not participate in any act which is morally ambiguous. In this way, for example, the Church forbids the bearing of arms to its clergy and does not allow a man to continue in the ministry who has shed blood, theoretically even in an accidental way!
When violence must be used as a lesser evil to prevent greater evils, it can never be blessed as such, it must always be repented of, and it must never be identified with perfect Christian morality.
I know that's from the Orthodox Church of America... but still...

Your life is your own. Rise up and live it - Richard Rahl, Sword of Truth Book 6 "Faith of the Fallen"

I condemn all gods who dare demand my fealty, who won't look me in the face so's I know who it is I gotta fealty to. -- JoeyKnotHead

Some force seems to restrict me from buying into the apparent nonsense that others find so easy to buy into. Having no religious or supernatural beliefs of my own, I just call that force reason. -- Tired of the Nonsense