Rational and civil debate between members of all religions and world views

Reply to topic
Post BBCode URL - Right click and save to clipboard to use later in post Post 1: Sat Sep 26, 2015 4:06 pm
An story from a Holocaust survivor.

Like this post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gXGfngjmwLA

Goto top, bottom
Post BBCode URL - Right click and save to clipboard to use later in post Post 2: Sat Oct 03, 2015 9:34 pm
Re: An story from a Holocaust survivor.

Like this post (1): puddleglum
[Replying to post 1 by Goat]

When I was a Senior in High School in the late 1950s a Jewish couple took over the local 'candy store'. (Do they still exist?) On Fridays after school I would stop there for an egg creme and a car magazine or a science fiction paperback. I noticed early on that both the man and the woman had blue numbers tatooed on their forearms. From reading, I knew quite a bit about the horrors of the Nazi regime and was amazed at how normal they were - just another couple running a retail store, raising two young kids.

Altogether too many did not survive the monstrosities inflicted on them. But among those who did live through it, like these two, were those who were not defeated. The ordeal was surely not forgotten. How does one forget something when there is a reminder on your own body that you will see every day? (Nor should the world forget it.) But they were alive and chose to act like it. I cannot say what thoughts or dreams they had in the dark of night. But, just as their bodies were not dead, neither were their spirits.

I learned a lesson from this. Being alive is not just a state but an action. It is something you do, not just something you are. Truly terrible things may happen but as long as one is alive, live and get beyond it.

Goto top, bottom
Post BBCode URL - Right click and save to clipboard to use later in post Post 3: Mon Oct 05, 2015 12:44 pm
Re: An story from a Holocaust survivor.

Like this post
Ancient of Years wrote:

[Replying to post 1 by Goat]

When I was a Senior in High School in the late 1950s a Jewish couple took over the local 'candy store'. (Do they still exist?) On Fridays after school I would stop there for an egg creme and a car magazine or a science fiction paperback. I noticed early on that both the man and the woman had blue numbers tatooed on their forearms. From reading, I knew quite a bit about the horrors of the Nazi regime and was amazed at how normal they were - just another couple running a retail store, raising two young kids.

Altogether too many did not survive the monstrosities inflicted on them. But among those who did live through it, like these two, were those who were not defeated. The ordeal was surely not forgotten. How does one forget something when there is a reminder on your own body that you will see every day? (Nor should the world forget it.) But they were alive and chose to act like it. I cannot say what thoughts or dreams they had in the dark of night. But, just as their bodies were not dead, neither were their spirits.

I learned a lesson from this. Being alive is not just a state but an action. It is something you do, not just something you are. Truly terrible things may happen but as long as one is alive, live and get beyond it.

Knowing what I do , people can appear 'normal' doing the day, but the nights bring horrors.

Goto top, bottom

Jump to:  
Facebook
Tweet

On The Web | Ecodia | Hymn Lyrics Apps
Facebook | Twitter