Why John the Baptist instead of Jesus the Baptist

Where Christians can get together and discuss

Moderator: Moderators

KeelHollowKid

Why John the Baptist instead of Jesus the Baptist

Post #1

Post by KeelHollowKid »

This is my first time posting on here, I sincerely enjoy hearing everyone's different points of view on topics but I've not wanted to post simply because I'm no good at arguing/ debating. Instead I thought I'd ask a question, let you guys hash it out, and gobble up the answers.
Question is.... If Jesus came here to set up a kingdom, or Church, why did he not baptize people with water as he himself was baptized by John? Isn't that the way to become "clean" for his kingdom here on earth? And who would have more authority to baptize people into that kingdom than the Lord himself?
Grace be unto you, and peace, from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ.

puddleglum
Sage

Post #2

Post by puddleglum »

John answered your question:

“I baptize you with water for repentance, but he who is coming after me is mightier than I, whose sandals I am not worthy to carry. He will baptize you with the Holy Spirit and fire. His winnowing fork is in his hand, and he will clear his threshing floor and gather his wheat into the barn, but the chaff he will burn with unquenchable fire.�
(Matthew 3:11-12 ESV)

The true baptism is the baptism of the Holy Spirit that brings salvation. Baptism in water is only a symbol.

Jesus will also baptize with fire those who reject the truth. This baptism is described in Revelation 20:11-14.
His invisible attributes, namely, his eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly perceived, ever since the creation of the world, in the things that have been made.
Romans 1:20 ESV