Joel Osteen

Where Christians can get together and discuss

Moderator: Moderators

Elijah John
Savant

Joel Osteen

Post #1

Post by Elijah John »

I wonder, could Joel Osteen be the best preacher of our time?

Sure he is slick, but I for one do not detect any phoniness in him.

No "us vs them" condemnation for unbelievers, just positive, faith-inspiring preaching.

He picks a theme, and hammers it home with effective repetition drawing examples from the characters and stories of the Bible.

This week's theme was "God's 2nd touch" alluding to Jesus healing the blind man, taking two touches to do it, and brilliantly expounding on how God uses that principle in many varied circumstances and applications.

His messages are simple, but profound.

I cannot think of anyone who is more effective....like Billy Graham, only with a little less dogmatism.

If not Joel, who is YOUR favorite publicly known preacher?
My theological positions:

-God created us in His image, not the other way around.
-The Bible is redeemed by it's good parts.
-Pure monotheism, simple repentance.
-YHVH is LORD
-The real Jesus is not God, the real YHVH is not a monster.
-Eternal life is a gift from the Living God.
-Keep the Commandments, keep your salvation.
-I have accepted YHVH as my Heavenly Father, LORD and Savior.

I am inspired by Jesus to worship none but YHVH, and to serve only Him.

Paprika
Banned
Banned

Post #11

Post by Paprika »

Elijah John wrote:
Well, just as one book complements another in the Bible, one Gospel complements another, ...why cannot one pastor complement another in the Body of Christ?
Because the pastor - as leader and shepherd of his flock - has some tasks that he can't just leave to other people. (Others tasks like counselling can mostly be delegated). As pastor there are certain necessary tasks - both from Scripture and practically - that he needs to perform. Who is likely to listen as deeply to a pastor from another unrelated church?
Anyway, who do you like...any examples of a more complete preacher?
N.T. Wright is great, though I'd say lacking a bit too in the condemnatory bit.
The response to the refugee crisis has been troubling, exposing... just how impoverished our moral and political discourse actually is. For the difficult tasks of patient deliberation and discriminating political wisdom, a cult of sentimental humanitarianism--Neoliberalism's good cop to its bad cop of foreign military interventionism--substitutes the self-congratulatory ease of kneejerk emotional judgments, assuming that the 'right'...is immediately apparent from some instinctive apprehension of the 'good'. -AR

puddleglum
Sage

Post #12

Post by puddleglum »

[Replying to post 10 by Elijah John]
why cannot one pastor complement another in the Body of Christ?
They can if both of them are in the body of Christ.

But false prophets also arose among the people, just as there will be false teachers among you, who will secretly bring in destructive heresies, even denying the Master who bought them, bringing upon themselves swift destruction. And many will follow their sensuality, and because of them the way of truth will be blasphemed. And in their greed they will exploit you with false words. Their condemnation from long ago is not idle, and their destruction is not asleep.
(2 Peter 2:1-3 ESV)

Most people prefer preachers who make them feel good about themselves rather than those who call attention to their sins so the false teachers are often more popular than those who preach the truth.
His invisible attributes, namely, his eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly perceived, ever since the creation of the world, in the things that have been made.
Romans 1:20 ESV

Peds nurse
Site Supporter

Re: Joel Osteen

Post #13

Post by Peds nurse »

[Replying to post 1 by Elijah John]

Hey Mr. EJ!!!

I consider Joel Osteen a motivational speaker. I attempted to read one of his books, but I have difficulty with the whole prosperity movement. Instead of saying, "God, give me a close parking space," I would say, "God, I am able to walk a far distance, so I pray that those who need to park closer, would have the opportunity."

I really enjoy listening to Tony Evans, and Michael Youssef!

Thanks Mr. EJ!!!

Elijah John
Savant

Re: Joel Osteen

Post #14

Post by Elijah John »

Peds nurse wrote: [Replying to post 1 by Elijah John]

Hey Mr. EJ!!!

I consider Joel Osteen a motivational speaker. I attempted to read one of his books, but I have difficulty with the whole prosperity movement. Instead of saying, "God, give me a close parking space," I would say, "God, I am able to walk a far distance, so I pray that those who need to park closer, would have the opportunity."

I really enjoy listening to Tony Evans, and Michael Youssef!

Thanks Mr. EJ!!!
I don't think Joel would disagree with you. I listen to him every Sunday and have read several of his books, and I don't get that from him, on the contrary, he helps folks to become better people with God's power through faith. More considerate too.

I have a special dislike for prosperity preachers, and I do not consider Joel one of them.

A prosperity preacher would say (in effect) "give to MY ministry, and God will reward you financially 10 fold."

Where Joel is more likely to say: "Have faith, declare God's blessing on your life, change your attitude, change your words and you will be blessed."

And yes, finances are included, but he is speaking of all God's blessing, healing, love, character development, etc, etc.

And Joel does not tie God's blessing to giving to his own ministry, like an actual prosperity huckster would do.

I like what I heard of Tony Evans...have not heard the other guy though.

Thanks Peds.. :)
My theological positions:

-God created us in His image, not the other way around.
-The Bible is redeemed by it's good parts.
-Pure monotheism, simple repentance.
-YHVH is LORD
-The real Jesus is not God, the real YHVH is not a monster.
-Eternal life is a gift from the Living God.
-Keep the Commandments, keep your salvation.
-I have accepted YHVH as my Heavenly Father, LORD and Savior.

I am inspired by Jesus to worship none but YHVH, and to serve only Him.