Are we living in the last days?

Where Christians can get together and discuss

Moderator: Moderators

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Are we living in the last days?

Post #1

Post by JehovahsWitness »

We (Jehovah's Witnesses) believe we are living in what Jesus referred to as "the last days". Are there other Christian groups that believe this too? What is your personal opinion on this topic.

ttruscott
Site Supporter

Re: Are we living in the last days?

Post #2

Post by ttruscott »

JehovahsWitness wrote: We (Jehovah's Witnesses) believe we are living in what Jesus referred to as "the last days". Are there other Christian groups that believe this too? What is your personal opinion on this topic.
I think there is enough evidence in the bible to say that I pretty well agree...my weasel words aside, :)

Especially
Daniel 12:9 - And he said, Go thy way Daniel: for the words are closed up and sealed till the time of the end. 10 Many shall be purified, and made white, and tried; but the wicked shall do wickedly: and none of the wicked shall understand, but the wise shall understand.

Therefore in the end times, we will be given a new understanding, a revealing of that which has been sealed previously.

Daniel 12:9 - And he said, Go thy way Daniel: for the words are closed up Micah 4:1,2 - But in the last days it shall come to pass, that the mountain of the house of the LORD shall be established in the top of the mountains, and it shall be exalted above the hills; and people shall flow unto it. And many nations shall come, and say, Come, and let us go up to the mountain of the LORD, and to the house of the GOD of Jacob; and HE will teach us of HIS ways, and we will walk in HIS paths: for the law shall go forth of Zion, and the word of the LORD from Jerusalem.

How might this law and word go forth? Should we expect a speaker or prophet to tell us, "Thus sayeth the LORD," or maybe a letter like Paul's dissertation in Romans, or perhaps someone will write down a vision they saw?

As you well now, all denominations are plagued by false prophets, sigh...

Daniel 12:9 - And he said, Go thy way Daniel: for the words are closed up Zechariah 5:2-5 - I see a flying roll; the length thereof is twenty cubits, and the breadth thereof ten cubits. Then he said unto me, This is the curse that goeth forth over the face of the whole earth: for every one that stealeth shall be cut off as on this side according to it; and every one that sweareth shall be cut off as on that side according to it. I will bring it forth, saith the LORD of hosts, and it shall enter into the house of the thief, and into the house of him that sweareth falsely by MY name: and it shall remain in the midst of his house, and shall consume it with the timber thereof and the stones thereof.

Looks like somebody will see a roll or a book that we haven't seen yet. Might 'flying' mean heavenly or unearthly?

“Flying�
is literally: covered (either with wings or feathers, or obscurity).

In other words, it might not be a flying roll at all. It might be an obscure (previously hidden) roll, denoting a new understanding of God's plan.

And it might also refer to the small book in Rev 10:2-11 which when he first tasted it, first understood it, it was like honey, that is, it solved many theological problems for him and he liked it but when he digested its meaning and understood the implications, it was sour in his stomach, that is, he understood the division it was going to create within the Church: It tasted as sweet as honey in my mouth, but when I had eaten it, my stomach turned sour.
PCE Theology as I see it...

We had an existence with a free will in Sheol before the creation of the physical universe. Here we chose to be able to become holy or to be eternally evil in YHWH's sight. Then the physical universe was created and all sinners were sent to earth.

This theology debunks the need to base Christianity upon the blasphemy of creating us in Adam's sin.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #3

[Replying to post 2 by ttruscott]

I agree, the bible paints a clear enough picture of the last days, and we are currently living in them!
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #4

JehovahsWitness wrote: [Replying to post 2 by ttruscott]

I agree, the bible paints a clear enough picture of the last days, and we are currently living in them!
I should have added the reference in Timothy as well. Paul outlines the characteristics of people which match our day as well.

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -

JP Cusick
Guru

Post #5

Post by JP Cusick »

JehovahsWitness wrote: We (Jehovah's Witnesses) believe we are living in what Jesus referred to as "the last days". Are there other Christian groups that believe this too? What is your personal opinion on this topic.
I just find that the so called "last days" have been ongoing for near 2000 years (if we do not count the time before Christ) and so it could go onward for a lot longer.

Just as billions of other people passed away while waiting on the famous "last days" so too are people dying today as they wait for the unknown time.

My view is that every person has our own last days coming up, because each person is born young with our short lives ahead of us, so our own "last days" have been in front of each of us all along, and we each know about our own personal "last days" and yet I see very few people who ever really act on that information except in the worldly ways, as like writing out their Last Will and Testament, and make our own funeral arrangements.

Seems odd to wait for some great and grand "last days" for humanity while utterly missing the far bigger reality of our own coming "last days" which we can know very well.

I would even say that when Jesus declared that "this generation shall not pass until" then that is a repeating prophesy for every individual person.
SIGNATURE:

An unorthodox Theist & a heretic Christian:

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #6

JP Cusick wrote: Seems odd to wait for some great and grand "last days" for humanity while utterly missing the far bigger reality of our own coming "last days" which we can know very well.
It's true we can die at any moment and time and that would be our "last days"; I'm not sure that our own personal passing is as important as the end of all wickedness and suffering for all humanity and more importantly the sanctification of Jehovah's name which is what Harmagddon will mean.

Are we living in the last days
https://www.jw.org/en/publications/book ... last-days/

JP Cusick
Guru

Post #7

Post by JP Cusick »

JehovahsWitness wrote:
JP Cusick wrote: Seems odd to wait for some great and grand "last days" for humanity while utterly missing the far bigger reality of our own coming "last days" which we can know very well.
It's true we can die at any moment and time and that would be our "last days"; I'm not sure that our own personal passing is as important as the end of all wickedness and suffering for all humanity and more importantly the sanctification of Jehovah's name which is what Harmagddon will mean.

Are we living in the last days
https://www.jw.org/en/publications/book ... last-days/
I see it like a person on the Titanic waiting for the ship to sink, and of course then they drown with the ship while waiting, instead of seeing the ship is sinking and saving their self.

We can see that the world is going to the dogs, so we need to stop our self from going along.

We now have 2000 years of waiting for an event outside of our selves, with the vast majority failing to act on the last days inside each individual person. Matthew 24:46-51

And this = Luke 17:20-24
20 ... The kingdom of God cometh not with observation: 21 ..., the kingdom of God is within you.

The Kingdom of God is first to be inside thy self, and then there is no more need to wait.
SIGNATURE:

An unorthodox Theist & a heretic Christian:

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #8

[Replying to post 7 by JP Cusick]

God's kingdom is God's heavenly government which will intervene in human affairs, destroy all human government as solve the world's problems.

Jehovah's Witnesses preach this message, its called the good news of the kingdom.

JW