Never really thought about it
No votes

Total votes: 5

rikuoamero
Under Probation

Question for Christians

Post #1

Post by rikuoamero »

While the forum was down, I found this question elsewhere (can't remember where, else I'd give a link).
The gist of the question is: you follow/worship God but are there any issues where you believe God says one way, but you honestly believe the correct answer is another?
To give context, let's say you vote for Politician A. He stands for Political Issues A, B C, all of which you agree with. However, he also stands for Issue D, which you don't...however you don't let that stop you, you vote for him anyway.
Or to give personal context - I wholeheartedly agree with Divine Insight on most issues. However, I do not agree with him on the topic of Eastern religions...mainly because I've never really explored or studied said religions and so have no basis to say yay or nay on the topic.
Do you follow God but disagree to a greater or lesser degree on one topic or another?

I'd like Christians only to reply. No I will not debate in this thread, just want to see if there are any such Christians.

Your life is your own. Rise up and live it - Richard Rahl, Sword of Truth Book 6 "Faith of the Fallen"

I condemn all gods who dare demand my fealty, who won't look me in the face so's I know who it is I gotta fealty to. -- JoeyKnotHead

Some force seems to restrict me from buying into the apparent nonsense that others find so easy to buy into. Having no religious or supernatural beliefs of my own, I just call that force reason. -- Tired of the Nonsense

dianaiad
Site Supporter

Re: Question for Christians

Post #21

Post by dianaiad »

rikuoamero wrote: While the forum was down, I found this question elsewhere (can't remember where, else I'd give a link).
The gist of the question is: you follow/worship God but are there any issues where you believe God says one way, but you honestly believe the correct answer is another?
To give context, let's say you vote for Politician A. He stands for Political Issues A, B C, all of which you agree with. However, he also stands for Issue D, which you don't...however you don't let that stop you, you vote for him anyway.
Or to give personal context - I wholeheartedly agree with Divine Insight on most issues. However, I do not agree with him on the topic of Eastern religions...mainly because I've never really explored or studied said religions and so have no basis to say yay or nay on the topic.
Do you follow God but disagree to a greater or lesser degree on one topic or another?

I'd like Christians only to reply. No I will not debate in this thread, just want to see if there are any such Christians.
I looked at your poll and realized that it was a 'bad' poll; that is, it assumes that the three choices given are the only ones possible...a 'false trichotomy,' perhaps?

I mean...really; "Do you disagree with God on any subject?" What if the answer is 'yes, but I figure that if I disagree with Him, I'm the one who is wrong?" I mean, given Who most people think God actually IS, it would be the epitome of hubris to disagree with Him.

So...I would consider that if there is a difference of opinion between what you think and what you believe GOD wants, you'd better go about reconciling the situation. Either you are correct about what God wants or you aren't.

If you are, then disagreeing with Him is, well.....how did one poster put it...like disagreeing with gravity. You'd better go see about changing your mind. However, you COULD be wrong about what you think God wants, so you had better make certain that whatever the disagreement is about is actually with GOD. Could it be, rather, with a doctrine of others who declare that 'this is what God wants' rather than what God actually DOES want?

Is your disagreement with God, in other words, or with a religion?

Again, if it is with God, then you get to change your mind. If it is with a religion, then...you need to find a different religion.

The point is, asking Christians if they disagree with GOD is silly. No Christian will be able to say that; we all think that we agree with God. The real question is...do we all agree with what our religion SAYS God wants?

Am I making any sense?

rikuoamero
Under Probation

Post #22

Post by rikuoamero »

[Replying to post 21 by dianaiad]
What if the answer is 'yes, but I figure that if I disagree with Him, I'm the one who is wrong?"
Then you tick the yes option and explain your answer here in the comments section. The example you give there would fall underneath the "yes" option.
If you are, then disagreeing with Him is, well.....how did one poster put it...like disagreeing with gravity.
I disagree. Gravity is a mindless force. There is no personality in gravity, no consciousness. It simply exists. There is no malevolence at work if I walk off the edge of a cliff and fall two hundred feet to my death.
Can you say the same of your god? I think not. Your god is regularly described as a mind, as having a personality and consciousness.
You'd better go see about changing your mind. However, you COULD be wrong about what you think God wants, so you had better make certain that whatever the disagreement is about is actually with GOD.
Or it could be that what you think to be God actually isn't. Or maybe God actually is wrong about something. The problem of unknown unknowns means there potentially could be something that God doesn't realize that it doesn't know, and so its opinion about a given topic is in the wrong.
The point is, asking Christians if they disagree with GOD is silly. No Christian will be able to say that; we all think that we agree with God.
Which is what I expected to happen. The guy who thought up this question on that other forum I mentioned said that he asked this because he wanted to point out to Christians that whenever they say God says this or that, it's really them deifying their own opinions, so of course God 'agrees' with them on whatever it is they say.

Your life is your own. Rise up and live it - Richard Rahl, Sword of Truth Book 6 "Faith of the Fallen"

I condemn all gods who dare demand my fealty, who won't look me in the face so's I know who it is I gotta fealty to. -- JoeyKnotHead

Some force seems to restrict me from buying into the apparent nonsense that others find so easy to buy into. Having no religious or supernatural beliefs of my own, I just call that force reason. -- Tired of the Nonsense

dianaiad
Site Supporter

Post #23

Post by dianaiad »

rikuoamero wrote: [Replying to post 21 by dianaiad]
What if the answer is 'yes, but I figure that if I disagree with Him, I'm the one who is wrong?"
Then you tick the yes option and explain your answer here in the comments section. The example you give there would fall underneath the "yes" option.
If you are, then disagreeing with Him is, well.....how did one poster put it...like disagreeing with gravity.
I disagree. Gravity is a mindless force. There is no personality in gravity, no consciousness. It simply exists. There is no malevolence at work if I walk off the edge of a cliff and fall two hundred feet to my death.
Can you say the same of your god? I think not. Your god is regularly described as a mind, as having a personality and consciousness.
You'd better go see about changing your mind. However, you COULD be wrong about what you think God wants, so you had better make certain that whatever the disagreement is about is actually with GOD.
Or it could be that what you think to be God actually isn't. Or maybe God actually is wrong about something. The problem of unknown unknowns means there potentially could be something that God doesn't realize that it doesn't know, and so its opinion about a given topic is in the wrong.
The point is, asking Christians if they disagree with GOD is silly. No Christian will be able to say that; we all think that we agree with God.
Which is what I expected to happen. The guy who thought up this question on that other forum I mentioned said that he asked this because he wanted to point out to Christians that whenever they say God says this or that, it's really them deifying their own opinions, so of course God 'agrees' with them on whatever it is they say.
Given that your position is that there is no God to agree with, of course you would consider that with Christians (or any other theist) it's a 'God agrees with me" sort of thing.

I'm not going to claim that there are no theists who actually think like that, but I'll bet most don't. MOST of use think that we agree with God. That is what doctrine and dogma is all about, after all, listing the things we think God wants, and living our lives according to that.

As far as I am concerned, I believe that I have the truth about what God wants, as I hope most other theists do about THEIR beliefs. I cannot imagine a situation in which GOD would be wrong and I would be the one who is correct; what would happen is that I would come to believe that the religion I belonged to wasn't correct about 'what God wants.' I would therefore go looking for a belief system that DID teach the truth about God, and if I didn't find one, I'd go off on my own.

Your question, in other words, is simplistic and unreal. NO theist would figure that the God He figured was omniscient would be wrong about something. The question would be, if a religion is incorrect about Him...what DOES He want, really?

rikuoamero
Under Probation

Post #24

Post by rikuoamero »

[Replying to post 23 by dianaiad]
The question would be, if a religion is incorrect about Him...what DOES He want, really?
This raises the question of "Is God actually omniscient"? That is a claim religions make about God, and if you are allowing for the possibility that religions can make mistakes or be in error in some way about God...

Masamune
Student

Post #25

Post by Masamune »

rikuoamero wrote: While the forum was down, I found this question elsewhere (can't remember where, else I'd give a link).

I'm just responding to the initial post so I'm sorry if I'm ignoring the course of the debate since then. I personally would not disagree with any topic I believed God held a certain view on. But I also think it is presumptuous and inappropriate to ever believe a person could fully know God's mind. There is a difference between saying, "I believe God wants us to . . . " and saying "God thinks humans should . . .". The latter is a statement of certainty I don't believe in. Humanity is fundamentally imperfect, so the idea we could fully understand perfection would be unjustified. This is also why I believe Christianity is not a morality that is meant to be enforced through law or through social pressure. It is intended to be a personal morality that reflects inward. Time and time again Christ, in my view, seems to attack hypocrisy, yet we see that same hypocrisy reflected in many religious figures today. Some Christians spend more time looking at society, and zero time looking at themselves. This is not in the spirit of Christ's message, as I see it, though I could be very incorrect.

Just to give an example, I just can't stomach when any preacher brings up any individual celebrity or person that exists as some sort of example of sinfulness. I think that goes against the spirit of Christianity. I was an my fiancé's best friend's church last week. It was the first time I had been to church in several months. The words "Caitlin Jenner" in a sermon reminded me why I don't go much.

OnceConvinced
Savant

Post #26

Post by OnceConvinced »

I also answered this from my point of view from 8 years ago. And that is no, I would not disagree with God about anything as he is all-knowing, his ways a higher than ours and we have to have faith in him.

God is always right. "Because the bible says so" was a good argument and could not be argued against.

Society and its morals evolve and will continue to evolve. The bible however remains the same and just requires more and more apologetics and claims of "metaphors" and "symbolism" to justify it.

Prayer is like rubbing an old bottle and hoping that a genie will pop out and grant you three wishes.

There is much about this world that is mind boggling and impressive, but I see no need whatsoever to put it down to magical super powered beings.

Check out my website: Recker's World