Happiness

Ethics, Morality, and Sin

Moderator: Moderators

jerryxplu
Student

Happiness

Post #1

Post by jerryxplu »

This is an issue I have been having in my head for a while now and hope you guys can shred some light on it for me.

So ever since I was a child, I was told by adult such as that you have this and that and you are more fortunate than millions of people in this world. You should be happy because of that.

However, I just don't feel that is the right reasoning anymore. Is it really fair to say that because you are better off than some then you should be happy?

Just because I know that I may have a higher standard of living than others. Doesn't mean I have to be happy. It feel as if I have to suppress my unhappiness because I am being greedy and wanting more than what I already have.

So what do you guys think about this?

alexx
Student

Re: Happiness

Post #21

Post by alexx »

Checkpoint wrote: [Replying to post 19 by alexx]

when i heard that phrase in adult life "the persuit of happines" it bothered me because it sounds like a sarcastic remark? god guarantee's life, liberty, and something not guaranteed is happiness......you HAVE TO persue it? so is he DISSING happiness or is it the CATCH 22 of life? if he said contentment most would have felt left out? he felt sympathetic to mans imperfection? of course he did not write the declaration so maybe someone took license on his behalf?
You seem to have the declaration and the bible mixed together, and that god wrote or inspired the declaration.

He didn't oversee it, men wrote it to ensure a much better future than the past they had experienced and learned from.

Perhaps this link may interest you.

http://historynewsnetwork.org/article/46460
i made no reference to the bible and my thoughts were based on the use of unalienable rights of creator and the known belief in god by founders. and thanks for that interesting read.

OnceConvinced
Savant

Re: Happiness

Post #22

Post by OnceConvinced »

Maranatha wrote: Happiness according to scripture is gained by keeping the law, 'he who keeps the law, happy is he', the same also brings freedom, 'the law of liberty', long life, 'many years they will add unto you', great peace, 'great peace have they who love thy law', God wishes that you prosper, all his commands are for your happiness and prosperity. O:)
That didn't work for me. The times I believed I was closest to God, spending a lot of time praying, worshiping, studying, trying to be a better Christian... was the most miserable time of my life.

I discovered, that happiness has nothing to do with God, or how well off you are. It all comes down to how healthy your relationships are. You are at your happiest when you having healthy and loving relationships with others. That has always proven to be true in my life and I see it in others too. Those who are most miserable seem to have some issues going on with relationships.

Society and its morals evolve and will continue to evolve. The bible however remains the same and just requires more and more apologetics and claims of "metaphors" and "symbolism" to justify it.

Prayer is like rubbing an old bottle and hoping that a genie will pop out and grant you three wishes.

There is much about this world that is mind boggling and impressive, but I see no need whatsoever to put it down to magical super powered beings.

Check out my website: Recker's World

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Post #23

Post by JoeyKnothead »

From the OP:
Is it really fair to say that because you are better off than some then you should be happy?
I prefer to measure my happiness by the stuff I have, not the stuff I don't.

That said, I sure wouldn't set to bawlin' if'n one of y'all blessed me with a Lamborghini.
Just because I know that I may have a higher standard of living than others. Doesn't mean I have to be happy. It feel as if I have to suppress my unhappiness because I am being greedy and wanting more than what I already have.

So what do you guys think about this?
I prefer to think of why I should be happy more'n why I shouldn't.

Wanting stuff ain't no reason to be unhappy, unless it's food and clothing ya want (need). Luxury items like an outhouse are nice, but ultimately, I find happiness within myself, and chasin' the pretty thing 'round the pool table.

But, I also want for others. I want hungry folks a biscuit. I want homeless folks a roof. It does make me sad to think of such, which, in a way, makes me happy to know I can be concerned about folks other'n myself.

Conclusions?

Thinkin's hard.
I might be Teddy Roosevelt, but I ain't.
-Punkinhead Martin