Historical Evidence for the Resurrection (Again)

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

liamconnor
Prodigy

Historical Evidence for the Resurrection (Again)

Post #1

Post by liamconnor »

(Preliminary: this thread is not about "The Bible". It is about an historical situation--i.e. the origins of the early church--i.e. the claimed resurrection. No document will be judged "better" or "more reliable" simply on the grounds that "it's in the Bible". We will use the same thing used in all historical investigations--common sense and historical methodology)

It seems that folks on this thread still do not understand how history is done and what amounts to historical evidence; analogies between N.T. studies and present day courtroom scenes are made— since we cannot cross examine so-called eyewitnesses of the N.T., clearly Christianity is a sham. As if we could cross examine ANY historical figure!

As Aristotle pointed out to us, every science yields its own degree of knowledge and to require more is not an indication of the science’s weakness but of your own. History is conducted by analyzing and comparing documents; the degree of knowledge it yields ranges from implausible to beyond reasonable doubt. One can always doubt an historical claim; whether one can do so reasonably is another question. Anybody claiming on a thread entitled “Historical Evidence for the Resurrection� that “eyewitness testimony is not evidence� simply does not know what he is talking about and should refrain from commenting on such threads. There is just no point in debating with such a person on the level of history—stick to geometrical problems.

To reinforce the initial preliminary, I quote DI
The reason that Christianity is a "sham" is because it doesn't merely claim to be history, it claims to be the TRUTH. And it even accuses everyone who refuses to believe in it of having "rejected God" and having chosen evil over good etc.
This is an historical investigation. Please drop all questions about the ancient documents' "divine status"; all assumptions that you know what "Christians believe" or even what "Christianity has believed" about the Bible are to be suspended. We will treat them as we treat Josephus or an anthology of ancient Roman historians.

To begin this thread, I analyze what is probably the earliest Christian creed we have, from 1 Cor. 15. I ask that we do some real, mature history: the kind of history done with all ancient documents.

I care very much for structure, and so here is how I’ve structured my argument: 1) I give the proposition with a defense; 2) I voice a common objection; 3) I meet that objection in a rejoinder; 4) I give my conclusion.

1 Cor 15:1—8: (I have italicized what is probably not part of the original creed—that is, certain phrases which disrupt the rhythm of the Greek, and are “Pauliocentric�. These are most likely editorial or introductory remarks from Paul. I have also emboldened two key words. Everything in plain print I (as well as numerous scholars) believe to be original to the oral tradition.)

Now I make known to you, brethren, the gospel which I preached to you, which also you received, in which also you stand,
2 by which also you are saved, if you hold fast the word which I preached to you, unless you believed in vain.
3 For I delivered to you as of first importance what I also received,

that Christ died for our sins according to the Scriptures,
4 and that He was buried,
and that He was raised on the third day according to the Scriptures,
5 and that He appeared to Cephas,
then to the twelve.
6 After that He appeared to more than five hundred brethren at one time, most of whom remain until now, but some have fallen asleep;
7 then He appeared to James,
then to all the apostles;
8 and last of all, as it were to one untimely born, He appeared to me also. (1Co 15:1-8 NAS)

Proposition #1 Paul recalls to the Corinthians a list he received of persons whom he claims saw the risen Jesus.

Defense: The two terms in bold are in this context technical terms signifying both the transmission of oral tradition and its reception—Jews highly valued the importance (almost sanctity) of oral tradition; Paul was no different, even when the tradition was regards Jesus and not Torah (Cf. Gal 1:14). The Corinthians received what Paul handed over to them; what Paul handed over to them Paul claims he himself received.

Objection: Paul is lying.

Rejoinder: 1) This is conjecture without any historical warrant: you are just making stuff up. 2) If Paul were lying, he would surely have left out all names, and said that most if not all of the recipients of this encounter were dead. That is how good liars work—leave no room for investigation or keep the circle very, very small. Instead, Paul gives leads for readers to investigate: Peter, James, and just less than 500 whom the Corinthian church could’ve inquired into (i.e. we know they sent him a letter; we know he had visited them). 3) And yet we have no paper trail calling Paul out for a lie. We know that the Corinthian church was not shy of criticizing Paul—yet they never cried out “Liar� regards his list of witnesses. What we do have is at least three independent attestations of one apostle, James (1 Cor, Acts and Josephus). Outside of the Corinthian correspondence we have named apostles who are resident at the letter’s designation (Rom 16:7). People traveled back then more than today; they didn’t have the telephone or the internet; traveling is how information was conveyed—someone somewhere was always traveling with some news. A lie on the level of Paul in 1 Cor. (as well as in other letters where he names apostles) would have exposed him as a sham and the probability of that sham appearing in history is overwhelming--the very fact that Paul's letters continued to circulate as authoritative is evidence that no one called "liar"--and we know from his own letters (GAlatians and Corinthian correspondence) that people were willing to impugn him publicly.
So, 1) We have ZERO paper trail of Paul lying about this list 2) the list itself is vulnerable to investigation—it gives names and is made up of at least 500 individuals.

Conclusion: 1) Paul delivers a list of persons who claim they saw the risen Jesus, and this list includes two explicitly named individuals, and perhaps eleven or twelve implicitly named individuals (that no one in Corinth would've asked "who are these twelve?" is preposterous). 2) This list is prior to Paul’s writing to the Corinthians: scholars (of ALL types) agree that the letter was composed about 50 AD (twenty years after the dead of Jesus); hence the creed itself is prior to 50 AD. 3) The list is comprised of eyewitnesses of post-crucifixion appearances. This list, in light of the considerations above, counts as eyewitness testimony. It is not FROM those eyewitnesses; but then we are not in a courtroom--we are doing history. Most of your historical beliefs are based on eyewitness testimony at multiple removes.

Next Question (after hearing reasonable responses): When did Paul receive this creed and from whom? Is there a paper trail of this transmission?
Last edited by liamconnor on Sat Apr 23, 2016 3:09 am, edited 3 times in total.

Divine Insight
Savant

Re: Historical Evidence for the Resurrection (Again)

Post #2

Post by Divine Insight »

liamconnor wrote: It seems that folks on this thread still do not understand how history is done and what amounts to historical evidence; analogies between N.T. studies and present day courtroom scenes are made— since we cannot cross examine so-called eyewitnesses of the N.T., clearly Christianity is a sham. As if we could cross examine ANY historical figure!
In terms of historicity you have done yourself in right here already.

There is a huge difference between Christianity and history. And your final sentence reveals the error of your thinking. "As if we could cross examine ANY historical figure!"

Exactly. And this is why all history must be taken with a grain of salt.

The reason that Christianity is a "sham" is because it doesn't merely claim to be history, it claims to be the TRUTH. And it even accuses everyone who refuses to believe in it of having "rejected God" and having chosen evil over good etc.

So this is why it's a "sham".

If you would simply confess that it should be open to as much doubt as regular history then we could all go home. :D

Also the Bible itself cannot be viewed as reputable history documents because it's not being presented as history at all. To the contrary, it makes claim after claim of absolute authority demanding that it speaks the truth.

That's not how historians work. ;)

The Biblical writings themselves are clearly not dependable historical accounts of anything. They are obviously nothing other than extreme religious preaching.

So you are already far from using dependable historical methods if you are going to cite the biblical gossip of Paul as though it supposedly represents dependable historical records.
[center]Image
Spiritual Growth - A person's continual assessment
of how well they believe they are doing
relative to what they believe a personal God expects of them.
[/center]

liamconnor
Prodigy

Post #3

Post by liamconnor »

Divine Insight wrote:
liamconnor wrote: It seems that folks on this thread still do not understand how history is done and what amounts to historical evidence; analogies between N.T. studies and present day courtroom scenes are made— since we cannot cross examine so-called eyewitnesses of the N.T., clearly Christianity is a sham. As if we could cross examine ANY historical figure!

There is a huge difference between Christianity and history. And your final sentence reveals the error of your thinking. "As if we could cross examine ANY historical figure!"

If you would simply confess that it should be open to as much doubt as regular history then we could all go home. :D

Also the Bible itself cannot be viewed as reputable history documents because it's not being presented as history at all. To the contrary, it makes claim after claim of absolute authority demanding that it speaks the truth.

That's not how historians work. ;)

The Biblical writings themselves are clearly not dependable historical accounts of anything. They are obviously nothing other than extreme religious preaching.

So you are already far from using dependable historical methods if you are going to cite the biblical gossip of Paul as though it supposedly represents dependable historical records.

If you would simply confess that it should be open to as much doubt as regular history then we could all go home
If you are a philosophical skeptic who will honestly say "I have no more reason to believe that ABraham Lincoln existed than to deny it" or that "man has walked on the moon" then I applaud you.

If you are anything else, please let me know now, so I don't have to read your posts anymore.

liamconnor
Prodigy

Post #4

Post by liamconnor »

[Replying to post 2 by Divine Insight]

DI

I edited my OP with the following
As a preliminary I quote from a member here an assumption which this thread does not require.

This is an historical investigation. Please drop all questions about the ancient documents' "divine status"; all assumptions that you know what "Christians believe" or even what "Christianity has believed" about the Bible are to be suspended. We will treat them as we treat Josephus or an anthology of ancient Roman historians.
Is that enough to allow you to continue on with the thread?

liamconnor
Prodigy

Post #5

Post by liamconnor »

[Replying to post 2 by Divine Insight]
I apologize for writing so many responses to your one post. I confess, I am rather fed up with the way you debate. I just want you to engage my actual argument.

at any rate you wrote this
That is, the only ancient history to be respected are from those who say, "Hey, I am probably wrong, but here is what I think."

Good luck finding them.

Hence ALL of Josephus is out on this quote

{a} Whereas the war which the Jews made with the Romans has been the greatest of all those, not only that have been in our times, but, in a manner, of those who ever were heard of; both of those wherein cities have fought against cities, or nations against nations; while some men, who were not concerned in the affairs themselves, have gotten together vain and contradictory stories by hearsay, and have written them down after a sophisticated manner;
2 and while those who were there present have given false accounts of things, and this either out of a humour of flattery to the Romans, or of hatred toward the Jews; and while their writings contain sometimes accusations, and sometimes encomiums, but nowhere the accurate truth of the facts,
3 I have proposed to myself, for the sake of such as live under the government of the Romans, to translate those books into the Greek tongue, which I formerly composed in the language of our country, and sent to the Upper Barbarians; (Jwr 1:1-3 JOE)

Josephus here claims that he will give the accurate facts, and that the "others" have not. He claims to give HISTORICAL TRUTH.

Danmark
Site Supporter

Post #6

Post by Danmark »

liamconnor wrote: [Replying to post 2 by Divine Insight]
I apologize for writing so many responses to your one post. I confess, I am rather fed up with the way you debate. I just want you to engage my actual argument.

at any rate you wrote this
That is, the only ancient history to be respected are from those who say, "Hey, I am probably wrong, but here is what I think."
Again you have distorted, dramatically distorted, what another poster has written. Neither the Bible, nor DI's post suggests the Bible or any other historical document says ""Hey, I am probably wrong, but here is what I think."
"I confess, I am rather fed up with the way you debate." Almost every post of yours reflects your distortion of what a fellow debater has written, then attacking the 'straw man' you have constructed. I ask you to "engage the actual argument."

Divine Insight
Savant

Post #7

Post by Divine Insight »

liamconnor wrote: If you are a philosophical skeptic who will honestly say "I have no more reason to believe that ABraham Lincoln existed than to deny it" or that "man has walked on the moon" then I applaud you.

If you are anything else, please let me know now, so I don't have to read your posts anymore.
This is totally straw man on your behalf. Abraham Lincoln lived only 200 years ago. And there exist countless independent historical records concerning his life as the President of the United States. For you to compare this with with 2000+ demigod myths that have no independent historical records to back them up is nothing short of absurd.

As far as man having walked on the moon is concerned, I actually lived through that event. I watched on TV, and followed it closely long before that. Science was my love. I also studied physics and I was well aware that everything required to put a man on the moon was indeed readily available in physics.

So it's easy to believe that it actually happened. Could it have been a hoax? Sure, but if it was a hoax the whole world would have had to have been in on it, not just the USA. So it's very reasonable to believe that it actually happened.

Also there's no need for anything supernatural here. You keep dismissing the supernatural element, but I refuse to do that. Many people have already pointed out to you that when considering history if there are rational explanation those must be considered to be more realistic than outrageous supernatural tales.
[center]Image
Spiritual Growth - A person's continual assessment
of how well they believe they are doing
relative to what they believe a personal God expects of them.
[/center]

polonius
Prodigy

Paul's testimony

Post #8

Post by polonius »

liamconnor posted:
(Conclusion: 1) Paul delivers a list of persons who claim they saw the risen Jesus, and this list includes two explicitly named individuals, and perhaps eleven or twelve implicitly named individuals (that no one in Corinth would've asked "who are these twelve?" is preposterous). 2) This list is prior to Paul’s writing to the Corinthians: scholars (of ALL types) agree that the letter was composed about 50 AD (twenty years after the dead of Jesus); hence the creed itself is prior to 50 AD. 3) The list is comprised of eyewitnesses of post-crucifixion appearances. This list, in light of the considerations above, counts as eyewitness testimony. It is not FROM those eyewitnesses; but then we are not in a courtroom--we are doing history. Most of your historical beliefs are based on eyewitness testimony at multiple removes.
RESPONSE:
(Conclusion: 1) Paul delivers a list of persons who claim they saw the risen Jesus, and this list includes two explicitly named individuals…
No. Paul claims a list of persons (in Jerusalem) to Greeks in Corinth 815 miles away, 20-25 years after the claimed event, to which Paul himself wasn’t witness, to people who really aren’t in a positon to check it out. But interesting enough, none of these 500 witnesses or the thousands they would have told wrote anything about it.

Clearly this does not qualify as eyewitness testimony. At best it seems to be one of the Pauline fictions.

Tired of the Nonsense
Site Supporter

Re: Paul's testimony

Post #9

Post by Tired of the Nonsense »

polonius.advice wrote: liamconnor posted:
(Conclusion: 1) Paul delivers a list of persons who claim they saw the risen Jesus, and this list includes two explicitly named individuals, and perhaps eleven or twelve implicitly named individuals (that no one in Corinth would've asked "who are these twelve?" is preposterous). 2) This list is prior to Paul’s writing to the Corinthians: scholars (of ALL types) agree that the letter was composed about 50 AD (twenty years after the dead of Jesus); hence the creed itself is prior to 50 AD. 3) The list is comprised of eyewitnesses of post-crucifixion appearances. This list, in light of the considerations above, counts as eyewitness testimony. It is not FROM those eyewitnesses; but then we are not in a courtroom--we are doing history. Most of your historical beliefs are based on eyewitness testimony at multiple removes.
RESPONSE:
(Conclusion: 1) Paul delivers a list of persons who claim they saw the risen Jesus, and this list includes two explicitly named individuals…
No. Paul claims a list of persons (in Jerusalem) to Greeks in Corinth 815 miles away, 20-25 years after the claimed event, to which Paul himself wasn’t witness, to people who really aren’t in a positon to check it out. But interesting enough, none of these 500 witnesses or the thousands they would have told wrote anything about it.

Clearly this does not qualify as eyewitness testimony. At best it seems to be one of the Pauline fictions.
2Cor.12
[1] It is not expedient for me doubtless to glory. I will come to visions and revelations of the Lord.
[2] I knew a man in Christ above fourteen years ago, (whether in the body, I cannot tell; or whether out of the body, I cannot tell: God knoweth;) such an one caught up to the third heaven.
[3] And I knew such a man, (whether in the body, or out of the body, I cannot tell: God knoweth;)

Paul admitted that he could not himself tell the difference between dreams, visions and reality.
Image "The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honorable, but still primitive legends which are nevertheless pretty childish. No interpretation no matter how subtle can (for me) change this." -- Albert Einstein -- Written in 1954 to Jewish philosopher Erik Gutkind.

H.sapiens
Guru

Post #10

Post by H.sapiens »

liamconnor wrote:
If you are a philosophical skeptic who will honestly say "I have no more reason to believe that ABraham Lincoln existed than to deny it" or that "man has walked on the moon" then I applaud you.

You very badly need to spend some effort exploring the difference between well documented and poorly documented.