One on Ones

Feedback and site usage questions

Moderator: Moderators

liamconnor
Prodigy

One on Ones

Post #1

Post by liamconnor »

Just a suggestion. On another site there was the opportunity to challenge a person one on one, and others could vote on what they thought the outcome. I wonder if that would not be a cool addition to this forum....?

Often threads get so jumbled that they just derail--one on ones would be an arena where this was less likely to happen.

Just a thought.

Divine Insight
Savant

Post #2

Post by Divine Insight »

We already have it. It's called Head-to-Head

Head to Head Debate

You need to first find an opponent to debate with on your topic. And you'll need to agree with your opponent on the specific format and criteria of your debate subject.

Once that's all in place, then only you and your opponent can post in that thread. Usually taking turns for a limited number of posts or pages that had been agreed upon prior to starting the debate. At then end you both give closing arguments, and the debate is over.

As an option, a second Poll thread can be started after the debate has ended to take votes on who won the debate along with comments from others who have followed the debate.
[center]Image
Spiritual Growth - A person's continual assessment
of how well they believe they are doing
relative to what they believe a personal God expects of them.
[/center]

liamconnor
Prodigy

Post #3

Post by liamconnor »

[Replying to post 2 by Divine Insight]

Hahah. Sorry, foot in my mouth. I'll be honest, I never scrolled down below "Apologetics".

apologies.

What do you advise as the best way of approaching someone for a head to head? PM?

Divine Insight
Savant

Post #4

Post by Divine Insight »

liamconnor wrote: [Replying to post 2 by Divine Insight]

Hahah. Sorry, foot in my mouth. I'll be honest, I never scrolled down below "Apologetics".

apologies.

What do you advise as the best way of approaching someone for a head to head? PM?
You could try sending a PM to someone specific to see if that person is interested. They may or may not be interested. Especially keep in mind that you will need to agree up front on the format, and criteria of the debate. They may not accept your precise criteria.

If you are interested in just "asking around" to see who might offer to debate with you Head-to-Head, you can post a request for a Head-to-Head opponent in the "General Discussion" Forum or the "Members Only Chat" forum (your choice).

You could suggest the debate topic and potential criteria that you would like to have in the debate, and see if anyone offers to take you up on it.

Just from having seen your threads on the historical criteria that you seem to be requesting, I would suggest that you spend some time conversing with your potential opponent on precisely what that criteria entails. I imagine you would need to work that out in some depth of understanding and agreement before proceeded to an actual debate.

Just for whatever it's worth, I would like to see you first have a Head-to-Head debate on the topic of "What Constitutes Credible History?".

I think you'd stand a very good chance of finding debate opponent on that topic.

That might be a good exercise in a Head-to-Head debate before moving forward to try to actually debate the historical credibility of any historical claims.

Just my thoughts for whatever they are wroth.
[center]Image
[/center]

Divine Insight
Savant

Post #5

Post by Divine Insight »

By the way. I'm just a member of this forum. I'm not part of the management, nor am I a moderator. So everything I've suggested thus far is just from my experience as a forum member.

The actual management and/or moderators will no doubt chime in here shortly to give a more "official" guidance for using the Head-to-Head feature of this forum.
[center]Image
[/center]

otseng
Savant

Post #6

Post by otseng »

Yes, Divine Insight is correct.

Also see here:
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... php?t=3554