Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18

Reply to topic
Danmark
First Post
PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 9:05 pm  Donald Trump has exposed 'evangelical' voters Reply with quote

I was raised as an evangelical. I WAS an evangelical. It is clear that Trump is not an authentic evangelical; he knows next to nothing about the Bible and has lived and continues to live and promote a lifestyle that is antithetical to evangelical Christianity.
Yet he is doing very well, better than any other Republican candidate, among evangelicals.

My conclusion is that evangelicals care much more about secular politics than about true Christian values. Has Trump support among 'evangelicals' exposed the fact the 'evangelical voting block' is not based on Christian values, but on secular political values?
Post BBCode URL - Right click and save to clipboard to use later in post Post 171: Sat Jul 02, 2016 9:24 pm
Reply

Like this post
Volbrigade wrote:

You are a liar, with nothing of substance or value or veracity to say in regard to the specious charge referred to.


Warning Moderator Warning


This is a personal attack and a blatant violation of the rules.

Please review our Rules.

______________

Moderator warnings count as a strike against users. Additional violations in the future may warrant a final warning. Any challenges or replies to moderator postings should be made via Private Message to avoid derailing topics.

Goto top, bottom
View user's profile Send e-mail Visit poster's website 
Post BBCode URL - Right click and save to clipboard to use later in post Post 172: Sun Jul 03, 2016 11:31 am
Reply
Error in First Post

Like this post
There is an error in the first post. The conclusion should read:
"... some evangelicals care more about secular politics than...."

Paul David Miller makes this point and the point of the OP when he writes about Cruz and "identity politics:"

When Cruz announced his candidacy, he made his parents’ and his relationship with Jesus a major emphasis of his personal narrative. Normally, I prefer candidates to talk more about religion than they usually do. But in Cruz’s case, he seemed to imply that, because of his personal narrative, we should think of him as the evangelical candidate and vote for him out of tribal loyalty.

Cruz seemed to imply we should think of him as the evangelical candidate and vote for him out of tribal loyalty.

If Donald Trump has become the candidate of white identity politics, Cruz is the candidate of Christian identity politics. I dislike identity politics of all stripes and feel insulted when a candidate appeals to me on the basis of my demographic.

http://thefederalist.com/2016/01/14/im-an-evangelical-and-i-dont-support-ted-cru...

Goto top, bottom
View user's profile 
Post BBCode URL - Right click and save to clipboard to use later in post Post 173: Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:35 pm
Reply
Trump's racist remarks

Like this post
I note that none of the Donald Trump supporters here have called out Donald J. Trump on his racist remarks. Trump calls Elizabeth Warren 'Pocahontas' because of her reputed remote Cherokee heritage.
How is that different from calling Michelle Obama 'Aunt Jemima.' Trump is obviously a racist. How can anyone support a racist candidate for the Presidency of the the United States? How can any Christian evangelical not stand up and be counted and publicly denounce such a person?

Goto top, bottom
View user's profile 
Post BBCode URL - Right click and save to clipboard to use later in post Post 174: Mon Jul 25, 2016 11:04 pm
Reply
Re: Trump's racist remarks

Like this post
Danmark wrote:

I note that none of the Donald Trump supporters here have called out Donald J. Trump on his racist remarks. Trump calls Elizabeth Warren 'Pocahontas' because of her reputed remote Cherokee heritage.
How is that different from calling Michelle Obama 'Aunt Jemima.'


Trump was making fun of Warren for making a dubious claim. No would say Michelle Obama "reputed" black heritage.

Goto top, bottom
View user's profile 
Post BBCode URL - Right click and save to clipboard to use later in post Post 175: Tue Jul 26, 2016 4:48 pm
Reply
Re: Trump's racist remarks

Like this post
help3434 wrote:

Danmark wrote:

I note that none of the Donald Trump supporters here have called out Donald J. Trump on his racist remarks. Trump calls Elizabeth Warren 'Pocahontas' because of her reputed remote Cherokee heritage.
How is that different from calling Michelle Obama 'Aunt Jemima.'


Trump was making fun of Warren for making a dubious claim. No would say Michelle Obama "reputed" black heritage.

I disagree. 1st, Trump is wrong. He has no basis for deciding Warren's claim is inaccurate.

Growing up, Elizabeth Warren was told by her parents and grandparents that she was of Cherokee and Delaware Native American heritage. Her brothers have confirmed this story, meaning that Warren is of the honest belief that she is part Native American. As there would have been no reason for her grandparents to have made up such a story during her youth, it’s a reasonable expectation that it is the truth. In fact one genealogical society has dug up a decades-old newsletter which referred to Warren’s great-great-great grandmother as being Cherokee, supporting Warren’s claim.

http://www.dailynewsbin.com/news/fact-check-yes-elizabeth-warren-is-of-native-am...

2d, Trump ALWAYS refers to Warren as 'Pocahontas.' This is a racial slur and indicative of Trump's simplistic thinking. On a personal level Trump operates on the level of a schoolboy, yelling out racial invectives and name calling like the juvenile he is. Trump, like the average childish name caller, looks at appearances only. Michelle Obama 'looks' black. Warren does not 'look' native American.

What business does Trump or anyone else have in labeling someone by their racial makeup, either real, apparent, or claimed? The point is NOT whether Warren has some native American ancestry. The point is that this would-be leader of the lagest Western Democracy focuses on race and schoolboy taunts.

Goto top, bottom
View user's profile 
MPG Recipient Post BBCode URL - Right click and save to clipboard to use later in post Post 176: Tue Jul 26, 2016 5:21 pm
Reply

Like this post (1): Danmark
He doesn't just make fun of a persons ethnicity he even mocks disabled people. This is as immature as a person can stoop:


YouTube

Goto top, bottom
View user's profile 
Post BBCode URL - Right click and save to clipboard to use later in post Post 177: Tue Jul 26, 2016 8:49 pm
Reply

Like this post (1): myth-one.com
As Divine Insight has just pointed out, Donald Trump, running for President of the United States of America, not only makes racial remarks about those who he feels threatened by, but he mocks the disabled when they write something he feels threatened by. This is a substitution of personal mockery for factual analysis of the issues. Trump would get banned from this forum for this behavior, yet he still is supported by a large segment of 'Christian' evangelicals. Their support of Donald Trump, a juvenile sociopath totally discredits the morality, the principles, and the beliefs of this faction of Christianity. "Christians" who support this man betray the fact they care more about politics than the principles Christ stood for.

I have Christian friends who have been elected to public office as Republicans who rightly say publicly they cannot support or vote for Trump. Is there anyone here who claims to be a Christian who also swears he will support and vote for Trump?

Goto top, bottom
View user's profile 
Post BBCode URL - Right click and save to clipboard to use later in post Post 178: Thu Jul 28, 2016 4:48 pm
Reply
Re: Donald Trump has exposed 'evangelical' voters

Like this post (1): Danmark
Danmark wrote:

I was raised as an evangelical. I WAS an evangelical. It is clear that Trump is not an authentic evangelical; he knows next to nothing about the Bible and has lived and continues to live and promote a lifestyle that is antithetical to evangelical Christianity.
Yet he is doing very well, better than any other Republican candidate, among evangelicals.

My conclusion is that evangelicals care much more about secular politics than about true Christian values. Has Trump support among 'evangelicals' exposed the fact the 'evangelical voting block' is not based on Christian values, but on secular political values?


I find it an unending source of fascination that the religious right would embrace a man who has been married three times, has children with three different women, and who has never given more than transparent lip service to Christians, while reviling Hilary Clinton for decades for working to serve her country and standing faithfully by her man through thick and thin. The country probably owes the Presidency to Hillary just on the basis of all of the horrible and baseless trash talk the right has heaped on her for the last three decades.

Goto top, bottom
View user's profile 
Display posts from previous:   

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18

Jump to:  
Facebook
Tweet

 




On The Web | Ecodia | Hymn Lyrics Apps
Facebook | Twitter

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group.   Produced by Ecodia.

Igloo   |  Lo-Fi Version