Abortion

Two hot topics for the price of one

Moderator: Moderators

Texan Christian
Student
Location: A small house on a big ranch, in a small town in the big state of Texas

Abortion

Post #1

Post by Texan Christian »

Do y'all believe it is acceptable for a woman to have an abortion?

IMO:

when a woman says "I should decide what to do with my body" I'm like "well... first of all that baby isn't part of your body, it's someone else's body, so yeah..."

what're yalls views on this topic? post below!

Good day and God Bless :)

SailingCyclops
Site Supporter

Re: Abortion

Post #11

Post by SailingCyclops »

Texan Christian wrote: Do y'all believe it is acceptable for a woman to have an abortion?

IMO:

when a woman says "I should decide what to do with my body" I'm like "well... first of all that baby isn't part of your body, it's someone else's body
Your opinion is in conflict with reality. In all the world, throughout all history, a life begins when it takes it's first breadth, not before. It's not a little Texan until it is detached from the mother. Then and only then can it apply for a cary permit, or purchase an assault weapon.

Religion flies you into buildings, Science flies you to the moon.
If we believe absurdities, we shall commit atrocities -- Voltaire
Bless us and save us, said Mrs. O'Davis

jgh7

Post #12

Post by jgh7 »

Is it possible to hold the stance that it is equivalent to murder but still hold that it should be a freedom of choice.

Cus unfortunately that's where I'm at right now. It feels like a highly illogical stance to me.

Closingaccountreadgmailna
Student

Post #13

Post by Closingaccountreadgmailna »

SailingCyclops wrote:
Texan Christian wrote: Do y'all believe it is acceptable for a woman to have an abortion?

IMO:

when a woman says "I should decide what to do with my body" I'm like "well... first of all that baby isn't part of your body, it's someone else's body
Your opinion is in conflict with reality. In all the world, throughout all history, a life begins when it takes it's first breadth, not before. It's not a little Texan until it is detached from the mother. Then and only then can it apply for a cary permit, or purchase an assault weapon.
Life starts in womb. So when a baby is kicking inside belly, that baby is dead? No.

Clownboat
Savant

Post #14

Post by Clownboat »

rosary wrote:
SailingCyclops wrote:

IMO:

Life starts in womb. So when a baby is kicking inside belly, that baby is dead? No.
The emotional argument where we are suppose to believe that most abortions are removing a fully functional 'baby' of sorts.

However, we all are not so naive.

WHEN DO ABORTIONS OCCUR?
89-92% of all abortions happen during the first trimester, prior to the 13th week of gestation (AGI/CDC).
In 2012, 7.2% of all abortions occurred between 14-20 weeks' gestation; 1.3% occurred ≥21 weeks' gestation (CDC).

http://www.abort73.com/abortion_facts/u ... tatistics/

Since most abortions by far happen before 6 weeks, let's look at what a 5 week embryo, or what you might call a 'baby' for emotional reasons actually resembles:

Embryo: About the size of a sesame seed, the embryo is made of three layers of cells that are folded over on each other.
http://www.babycenter.com/fetal-develop ... es-5-weeks

Your emotional arguments just don't reflect with reality. An embryo that is made up of 3 layers of cells will not be doing much kicking inside a belly now will it? You would like to pretend that most abortions happen late term for some reason it seems, but the fact remains that only 1.3% of abortions happen after 21 weeks (1.8% at 16 - 17 weeks).

I personally just cannot take you seriously if you want to call 3 layers of cells a kicking baby.

If life actually started in the womb, and if there was a god that was against abortion, why would you think this all powerful god would create a reproduction mechanism that naturally aborts nearly 50% of pregnancies.

Most of these 50% are wanted, yet here you are railing against people that are removing unwanted fetuses, most of which are just a few cell layers thick. Is your focus misplaced? Should we really call them living, kicking babies at this point? Should we perhaps direct our focus towards saving the wanted fetuses?
You can give a man a fish and he will be fed for a day, or you can teach a man to pray for fish and he will starve to death.

I blame man for codifying those rules into a book which allowed superstitious people to perpetuate a barbaric practice. Rules that must be followed or face an invisible beings wrath. - KenRU

It is sad that in an age of freedom some people are enslaved by the nomads of old. - Marco

If you are unable to demonstrate that what you believe is true and you absolve yourself of the burden of proof, then what is the purpose of your arguments? - brunumb

2Dbunk
Site Supporter

Post #15

Post by 2Dbunk »

[Replying to post 13 by rosary]
No. That fetus is in Limbo.
What good is truth if its value is not more than unproven, handed-down faith?

One believes things because one is conditioned to believe them. -Aldous Huxley

Fear within the Religious will always be with them ... as long as they are fearful of death.

2Dbunk
Site Supporter

Post #16

Post by 2Dbunk »

[Replying to post 1 by Texan Christian]
Do y'all believe it is acceptable for a woman to have an abortion?
That is a decision that she alone can intelligently make. Whether it's acceptable to anyone else is not their business.
IMO:
Are you pregnant?
when a woman says "I should decide what to do with my body" I'm like "well... first of all that baby isn't part of your body, it's someone else's body, so yeah..."

Uhm . . . well the fetus is kinda dependent on the mother for its development, so in that respect it is part and parcel of her body . . . don't you think?
what're yalls views on this topic? post below!
You know, this pro-life anti-life argument is so juvenile. First, pro-choice people are not against life -- we are FOR life, the quality of that life! Once that fetus becomes a baby in its new world, the fussin' over its care is often tainted or forgotten as societal agendas ridiculously continue to focus on the unborn. Morality!! Is it moral that a mother with 8 or 10 or more children can't feed them all? Is it moral for a single parent challenged mentally or physically be forced to raise a child or two or three or . . .?

Think about it. Religion is driving this conundrum. What, are we an endangered species or something? You'd think we were on the brink of disappearing the way some religionists talk. Heck, most of us are going to perish into hell anyway (so theists say)-- maybe it's a good thing the aborted fetuses will miss out on all THAT.

Fear within the Religious will always be with them ... as long as they are fearful of death.

Monta
Guru

Post #17

Post by Monta »

[Replying to 2Dbunk]

Let's blame religion, again.
They don't let us have sex anytime with whomever,
they don't allow abortion -what right have they,
alcohol, drugs, abortion, paedophelia (apparently it's all the craze) etc.

We have lost the meaning of what it is to be human; Jesus said it 2000ys
ago and today it is more valid than ever.

A woman who has respect for the great contribution she is to contribute to the human race will with love and care take care of herself and the human seed she carries withn her. Many woman, regardles of anything religious, will take great care with diet in order for the baby to born healthy and for herself to remain well and healthy.

Many woman who have had abortion have ended up alone, unhappy and unloved. There are thousands of families who would be happy to adopt a healthy baby.

2Dbunk
Site Supporter

Post #18

Post by 2Dbunk »

[Replying to post 17 by Monta]
Let's blame religion, again.
They don't let us have sex anytime with whomever,
they don't allow abortion -what right have they,
alcohol, drugs, abortion, paedophelia (apparently it's all the craze) etc.
Hey, the greatest pusher of sinning is Christianity. Sinning is fine, is accepted as long as one repents afterwards. Christ died on the cross for mankind to have that privilege. Indeed, we are burdened with "original sin" as your "Good Book" says in so many ways. "Sinning is our bag" some of you quietly admit.
We have lost the meaning of what it is to be human; Jesus said it 2000ys
ago and today it is more valid than ever.
You may be speaking for yourself but if you open your eyes you'll find a lot of humanity around you. There is a lot of good done today -- much more than bad -- and not all of it done in the name of religion. Who said that "There will always be bad people doing do bad things and good people who will always do good, but it takes religion for good people to do bad things."

A woman who has respect for the great contribution she is to contribute to the human race will with love and care take care of herself and the human seed she carries withn her. Many woman, regardles of anything religious, will take great care with diet in order for the baby to born healthy and for herself to remain well and healthy.
Certainly! That is the maternal instinct. Some women have it more than others. But consider this: She was not given that option of gender at her conception/birth.
For that matter, none of us had a say in being born. You and I were thrust into this world without signing a contract for all that will follow. So where does it say "You or I must do this or that?" Humanity is the great default of our existence -- mostly for the better. Religion is the great limiter, for the longest time showing the boundary of that humanity. Today, Civil Law has taken over that role in Western Civilization. Only in the world's theocracies does religion enforce a lot of ridiculous limitations. Religion here in America could be just as fanatical if it were not for our Civil Law.
Many woman who have had abortion have ended up alone, unhappy and unloved. There are thousands of families who would be happy to adopt a healthy baby.
So, what's your point? There are many women satisfied that they made their choice to not have their baby. You call it callous but in the bottom line it was their decision to be made, not yours. That's why we call America the Land of the Free. Women should have that choice, just as men are free to go about trying to de-flower virgins. If you are not aware, the sexual drive is very, very powerful, and some men are masters (even Christian men) of seduction and then proudly go on their merry way.

Monta
Guru

Post #19

Post by Monta »

[Replying to 2Dbunk]

"That's why we call America the Land of the Free. Women should have that choice, just as men are free to go about trying to de-flower virgins. If you are not aware, the sexual drive is very, very powerful, and some men are masters (even Christian men) of seduction and then proudly go on their merry way."

Well.. let's hope animals have a moral fibre that some humans

in the Land of the Free apparently have lost.

Bust Nak
Savant

Post #20

Post by Bust Nak »

rosary wrote:Life starts in womb. So when a baby is kicking inside belly, that baby is dead? No.
When a sperm is swimming towards an egg, is that sperm dead? No. Neither is the egg for that matter. At no point does any life begin as a discrete event. Why should one arbitrary point on a continuum be preferred over another arbitrary point?