Donald Trump has exposed 'evangelical' voters

Two hot topics for the price of one

Moderator: Moderators

Danmark
Site Supporter

Donald Trump has exposed 'evangelical' voters

Post #1

Post by Danmark »

I was raised as an evangelical. I WAS an evangelical. It is clear that Trump is not an authentic evangelical; he knows next to nothing about the Bible and has lived and continues to live and promote a lifestyle that is antithetical to evangelical Christianity.
Yet he is doing very well, better than any other Republican candidate, among evangelicals.

My conclusion is that evangelicals care much more about secular politics than about true Christian values. Has Trump support among 'evangelicals' exposed the fact the 'evangelical voting block' is not based on Christian values, but on secular political values?

otseng
Savant

Post #171

Post by otseng »

Volbrigade wrote: You are a liar, with nothing of substance or value or veracity to say in regard to the specious charge referred to.
:warning: Moderator Warning

This is a personal attack and a blatant violation of the rules.

Please review our Rules.

Moderator warnings count as a strike against users. Additional violations in the future may warrant a final warning. Any challenges or replies to moderator postings should be made via Private Message to avoid derailing topics.

Danmark
Site Supporter

Error in First Post

Post #172

Post by Danmark »

There is an error in the first post. The conclusion should read:
"... some evangelicals care more about secular politics than...."

Paul David Miller makes this point and the point of the OP when he writes about Cruz and "identity politics:"

When Cruz announced his candidacy, he made his parents’ and his relationship with Jesus a major emphasis of his personal narrative. Normally, I prefer candidates to talk more about religion than they usually do. But in Cruz’s case, he seemed to imply that, because of his personal narrative, we should think of him as the evangelical candidate and vote for him out of tribal loyalty.

Cruz seemed to imply we should think of him as the evangelical candidate and vote for him out of tribal loyalty.

If Donald Trump has become the candidate of white identity politics, Cruz is the candidate of Christian identity politics. I dislike identity politics of all stripes and feel insulted when a candidate appeals to me on the basis of my demographic.

http://thefederalist.com/2016/01/14/im- ... -ted-cruz/

Danmark
Site Supporter

Trump's racist remarks

Post #173

Post by Danmark »

I note that none of the Donald Trump supporters here have called out Donald J. Trump on his racist remarks. Trump calls Elizabeth Warren 'Pocahontas' because of her reputed remote Cherokee heritage.
How is that different from calling Michelle Obama 'Aunt Jemima.' Trump is obviously a racist. How can anyone support a racist candidate for the Presidency of the the United States? How can any Christian evangelical not stand up and be counted and publicly denounce such a person?

help3434
Guru

Re: Trump's racist remarks

Post #174

Post by help3434 »

Danmark wrote: I note that none of the Donald Trump supporters here have called out Donald J. Trump on his racist remarks. Trump calls Elizabeth Warren 'Pocahontas' because of her reputed remote Cherokee heritage.
How is that different from calling Michelle Obama 'Aunt Jemima.'
Trump was making fun of Warren for making a dubious claim. No would say Michelle Obama "reputed" black heritage.

Danmark
Site Supporter

Re: Trump's racist remarks

Post #175

Post by Danmark »

help3434 wrote:
Danmark wrote: I note that none of the Donald Trump supporters here have called out Donald J. Trump on his racist remarks. Trump calls Elizabeth Warren 'Pocahontas' because of her reputed remote Cherokee heritage.
How is that different from calling Michelle Obama 'Aunt Jemima.'
Trump was making fun of Warren for making a dubious claim. No would say Michelle Obama "reputed" black heritage.
I disagree. 1st, Trump is wrong. He has no basis for deciding Warren's claim is inaccurate.

Growing up, Elizabeth Warren was told by her parents and grandparents that she was of Cherokee and Delaware Native American heritage. Her brothers have confirmed this story, meaning that Warren is of the honest belief that she is part Native American. As there would have been no reason for her grandparents to have made up such a story during her youth, it’s a reasonable expectation that it is the truth. In fact one genealogical society has dug up a decades-old newsletter which referred to Warren’s great-great-great grandmother as being Cherokee, supporting Warren’s claim.

http://www.dailynewsbin.com/news/fact-c ... job/25004/

2d, Trump ALWAYS refers to Warren as 'Pocahontas.' This is a racial slur and indicative of Trump's simplistic thinking. On a personal level Trump operates on the level of a schoolboy, yelling out racial invectives and name calling like the juvenile he is. Trump, like the average childish name caller, looks at appearances only. Michelle Obama 'looks' black. Warren does not 'look' native American.

What business does Trump or anyone else have in labeling someone by their racial makeup, either real, apparent, or claimed? The point is NOT whether Warren has some native American ancestry. The point is that this would-be leader of the lagest Western Democracy focuses on race and schoolboy taunts.

Divine Insight
Savant

Post #176

Post by Divine Insight »

He doesn't just make fun of a persons ethnicity he even mocks disabled people. This is as immature as a person can stoop:

[youtube][/youtube]
[center]Image
Spiritual Growth - A person's continual assessment
of how well they believe they are doing
relative to what they believe a personal God expects of them.
[/center]

Danmark
Site Supporter

Post #177

Post by Danmark »

As Divine Insight has just pointed out, Donald Trump, running for President of the United States of America, not only makes racial remarks about those who he feels threatened by, but he mocks the disabled when they write something he feels threatened by. This is a substitution of personal mockery for factual analysis of the issues. Trump would get banned from this forum for this behavior, yet he still is supported by a large segment of 'Christian' evangelicals. Their support of Donald Trump, a juvenile sociopath totally discredits the morality, the principles, and the beliefs of this faction of Christianity. "Christians" who support this man betray the fact they care more about politics than the principles Christ stood for.

I have Christian friends who have been elected to public office as Republicans who rightly say publicly they cannot support or vote for Trump. Is there anyone here who claims to be a Christian who also swears he will support and vote for Trump?

Tired of the Nonsense
Site Supporter

Re: Donald Trump has exposed 'evangelical' voters

Post #178

Post by Tired of the Nonsense »

Danmark wrote: I was raised as an evangelical. I WAS an evangelical. It is clear that Trump is not an authentic evangelical; he knows next to nothing about the Bible and has lived and continues to live and promote a lifestyle that is antithetical to evangelical Christianity.
Yet he is doing very well, better than any other Republican candidate, among evangelicals.

My conclusion is that evangelicals care much more about secular politics than about true Christian values. Has Trump support among 'evangelicals' exposed the fact the 'evangelical voting block' is not based on Christian values, but on secular political values?
I find it an unending source of fascination that the religious right would embrace a man who has been married three times, has children with three different women, and who has never given more than transparent lip service to Christians, while reviling Hilary Clinton for decades for working to serve her country and standing faithfully by her man through thick and thin. The country probably owes the Presidency to Hillary just on the basis of all of the horrible and baseless trash talk the right has heaped on her for the last three decades.
Image "The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honorable, but still primitive legends which are nevertheless pretty childish. No interpretation no matter how subtle can (for me) change this." -- Albert Einstein -- Written in 1954 to Jewish philosopher Erik Gutkind.