13,335 original scripture words ignored???

Where Christians can get together and discuss

Moderator: Moderators

we-live-now
Scholar

13,335 original scripture words ignored???

Post #1

Post by we-live-now »

Fellow believers of God's Word,

I found something recently that I shared online in my blog that I found very disturbing. Maybe you will too once you ponder it's significance?

There are 13,335 original scripture words God gave us that man totally ignored. They were not translated at all.

Are we possibly STILL crucifying God's Word?

Here is what I shared: http://kickedoutofchurch.com/13335-orig ... ranslated/

What do you think?

God bless.

Overcomer
Guru

Post #2

Post by Overcomer »

Perhaps it would be a good idea to talk about the translation process and the difference between dynamic equivalence and formal equivalence.

Let me start off by saying it is impossible to do a completely literal translation from any one language to another language. I say that as someone who studied French at university. I had to translate all kinds of things into that language including a passage of Bronte's Wuthering Heights. That sticks in my mind because it was particularly challenging assignment. If nothing else, I learned that one has to translate for meaning and that means NOT doing a literal translation much of the time. I also learned that sometimes there are simply NO English equivalents for a word from some other language.

So I came to the languages of Greek and Hebrew with that understanding. While formal equivalence attempts to translate the text literally, word for word, some of the meaning is lost in doing so. With dynamic equivalence, the emphasis is NOT on word by word translation, but on translation of meaning. This means that not every word in Greek or Hebrew will be translated and that's not necessarily a bad thing. Bible scholars work with both types of translation to make sure they are not missing anything.

There are also translations that provide a paraphrase of the text. They make the English as simple and accessible as possible to the broadest range of people. However, I would not recommend using them for serious study.

My question for you is this -- have you studied the language formally with qualified instructors? Or are you trying to learn the languages on your own? If so, what texts or online programs are you using? Some are better than others.

For Greek, I recommend William Mounce's material. And if you want to learn about the translation process, I recommend the work of Dan Wallace. He is one of the translators for the NET Bible found online at Bible.org. It's an excellent balance between the formal and the dynamic translations.

Lastly, I note that you have quoted Scripture at the link you provided. But I couldn't tell what version of the Bible you were using? What version do you think is reliable and why?

puddleglum
Sage

Re: 13,335 original scripture words ignored???

Post #3

Post by puddleglum »

[Replying to post 1 by we-live-now]

Does the site contain a list of the missing words? I tried to find such a list but couldn't.
His invisible attributes, namely, his eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly perceived, ever since the creation of the world, in the things that have been made.
Romans 1:20 ESV

Yahu
Banned
Banned

Re: 13,335 original scripture words ignored???

Post #4

Post by Yahu »

we-live-now wrote: Fellow believers of God's Word,

I found something recently that I shared online in my blog that I found very disturbing. Maybe you will too once you ponder it's significance?

There are 13,335 original scripture words God gave us that man totally ignored. They were not translated at all.

Are we possibly STILL crucifying God's Word?

Here is what I shared: http://kickedoutofchurch.com/13335-orig ... ranslated/

What do you think?

God bless.
This CAN BE a problem. For example there are two occurrences of 'et', spelled aleph-tav that are ignored when you translate Gen 1:1 into English.

By my understanding, that 'et' or if translated into Greek would be 'alpha-omega', is the WORD in the beginning that John is referencing in John 1:1. It you don't even see the word in Gen 1:1, how can you know what WORD John is referencing?

'et' in Hebrew is used as a pointer to the action of the verb. The paleo-hebrew of 'et' word picture is a clear reference to Yeshua as 'strength of the covenant' or 'sacrificial animal (bull) on the cross'.

Serious study of scripture should go back to the original language. In the case of most of the OT that means going all the way back to paleo-hebrew non-vowel pointed text.