What Are Your Christian Non-Negotiables?

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

ElCodeMonkey
Site Supporter

What Are Your Christian Non-Negotiables?

Post #1

Post by ElCodeMonkey »

To be "saved", what are the absolute non-negotiables? What must you absolutely do, believe, trust, say, etc? Jesus died for sins, Jesus is God, Belief in Trinity, Baptism, etc, etc. What cannot be ignored for salvation?
I'm Published! Christians Are Revolting: An Infidel's Progress
My Blog: Friendly By Nurture
The Wisdom I've gleaned.
My Current Beliefs.

2timothy316
Under Probation

Post #2

Post by 2timothy316 »

““Teacher, which is the greatest commandment in the Law?� He said to him: “‘You must love Jehovah your God with your whole heart and with your whole soul and with your whole mind.’�—Matthew 22:36, 37.

ElCodeMonkey
Site Supporter

Post #3

Post by ElCodeMonkey »

2timothy316 wrote: ““Teacher, which is the greatest commandment in the Law?� He said to him: “‘You must love Jehovah your God with your whole heart and with your whole soul and with your whole mind.’�—Matthew 22:36, 37.
So, from your point of view, one needs not accept Jesus' death as propitiation, and one could just as easily believe that the Bible is the product of the devil and still be saved? Or are you attributing those things to "loving" God? In which case, you'll need to define all the things that "loving God" means.
The Wisdom I've gleaned.
My Current Beliefs.

Elijah John
Savant

Re: What Are Your Christian Non-Negotiables?

Post #4

Post by Elijah John »

ElCodeMonkey wrote: To be "saved", what are the absolute non-negotiables? What must you absolutely do, believe, trust, say, etc? Jesus died for sins, Jesus is God, Belief in Trinity, Baptism, etc, etc. What cannot be ignored for salvation?

None of the above, just love of God, and love of neighbor is what saves.

And if one has trouble believing, then a person unknowingly loves God BY loving their neighbor.
My theological positions:

-God created us in His image, not the other way around.
-The Bible is redeemed by it's good parts.
-Pure monotheism, simple repentance.
-YHVH is LORD
-The real Jesus is not God, the real YHVH is not a monster.
-Eternal life is a gift from the Living God.
-Keep the Commandments, keep your salvation.
-I have accepted YHVH as my Heavenly Father, LORD and Savior.

I am inspired by Jesus to worship none but YHVH, and to serve only Him.

2timothy316
Under Probation

Post #5

Post by 2timothy316 »

ElCodeMonkey wrote:
2timothy316 wrote: ““Teacher, which is the greatest commandment in the Law?� He said to him: “‘You must love Jehovah your God with your whole heart and with your whole soul and with your whole mind.’�—Matthew 22:36, 37.
So, from your point of view, one needs not accept Jesus' death as propitiation, and one could just as easily believe that the Bible is the product of the devil and still be saved?
A person that loves God would accept Jesus' death. A person that loves God wouldn't call His Word a product of the Devil.
Or are you attributing those things to "loving" God? In which case, you'll need to define all the things that "loving God" means.
You're correct and indeed we do need to define all the things that 'loving God' means. All of which can be found in the Bible. Though, people study the Bible for months just to get the basic principals. So to post them all here wouldn't be really prudent. Jesus did give a person a starting point with what people know as the 'Golden Rule'. Sadly, many do not even follow the 2nd most important commandment which in turn makes a person guilty of breaking the 1st commandment. Those that don't treat the fellow man as they would like to be treated doesn't love God. One thing is for sure, the list as to why not to love their fellow man gets longer, the list of those that love God gets shorter.

“This is what the love of God means, that we observe his commandments; and yet his commandments are not burdensome.�—1 JOHN 5:3.

Man-made commandments with God's forged signature are burdensome in some way that is not always immediately seen.

JLB32168

Post #6

Post by JLB32168 »

The question seems to reflect a "once saved always saved" sort of paradigm. I don't hold to any iron-clad rules outside of one must have a spirit of constant repentance while trusting in God’s mercy. This leads to union with Christ and salvation. I suppose it’s a faith and works sort of doing things to it’s probably abhorrent to sola fide/scriptura advocates.

ElCodeMonkey
Site Supporter

Post #7

Post by ElCodeMonkey »

Elijah John wrote:None of the above, just love of God, and love of neighbor is what saves.

And if one has trouble believing, then a person unknowingly loves God BY loving their neighbor.
That is most certainly my position. If only more Christians believed this way :-).
The Wisdom I've gleaned.
My Current Beliefs.

ElCodeMonkey
Site Supporter

Post #8

Post by ElCodeMonkey »

JLB32168 wrote: The question seems to reflect a "once saved always saved" sort of paradigm. I don't hold to any iron-clad rules outside of one must have a spirit of constant repentance while trusting in God’s mercy. This leads to union with Christ and salvation. I suppose it’s a faith and works sort of doing things to it’s probably abhorrent to sola fide/scriptura advocates.
The OP had no assumptions whatsoever. You're perfectly capable of adding timelines to your non-negotiables. You mention nothing of the Bible though. Can one be in constant repentance and trust God's mercy while believing the Bible is a fable? Or is there truly something about the Bible in your non-negotiables?
The Wisdom I've gleaned.
My Current Beliefs.

2timothy316
Under Probation

Post #9

Post by 2timothy316 »

ElCodeMonkey wrote:
Elijah John wrote:None of the above, just love of God, and love of neighbor is what saves.

That is most certainly my position. If only more Christians believed this way :-).
Though no Biblical support, during the Middle Ages burning someone alive was said to clean a heretic. It was said to be kinder than an eternity of Hell...an act of love?

We still need God to direct us on how to love our neighbor don't we?

ElCodeMonkey
Site Supporter

Post #10

Post by ElCodeMonkey »

2timothy316 wrote:
ElCodeMonkey wrote:

Though no Biblical support, during the Middle Ages burning someone alive was said to clean a heretic. It was said to be kinder than an eternity of Hell...an act of love?

We still need God to direct us on how to love our neighbor don't we?
There's actually quite a lot of Biblical support. I came to this conclusion as a Christian from reading the Bible. My book explains all! :-).
The Wisdom I've gleaned.
My Current Beliefs.