Your Greatest Epiphanies

Chat viewable by general public

Moderator: Moderators

jgh7

Your Greatest Epiphanies

Post #1

Post by jgh7 »

Some really exciting times in life are when you get epiphanies. When your perception about something completely changes due to an "ah-ha" moment. When some concept hidden to you or that you've been struggling with suddenly "clicks". Or something along those lines.

What have been some of your greatest epiphanies in life?

I'm not the kind of person to get many epiphanies. Things seem to happen extremely slow for me.

OnceConvinced
Savant

Post #2

Post by OnceConvinced »

One I had was a number of years ago. I was an agnostic when it came to God. I was swimming in an unsafe area of a beach here in New Zealand. I'm a strong swimmer and have been fine before. The depth would change suddenly. One moment you were in the shallows and a few steps later you are in a much deeper part of the beach. I was in one of those deep parts when I was caught in a rip. The water was attempting to pull me out and I planted my feet into the sand hard to push against the current. But suddenly my legs cramped up. Waves were crashing over me, my legs continued to cramp and I was close to exhaustion as I tried to fight the current. I didn't cry out to God for help. I fought for a minute or so and then finally found myself back in the shallows again.

I dragged myself out of the water and dropped to the sand, very relieved that I was still alive. If that had been me as a Christian I would have been giving God thanks, but it was then that I had this clear epiphany that I got out of there due to a mixture of sheer luck and the will to escape the rip.

There was this moment of clarity... "God didn't help me. I was completely on my own."

Even thought I remained agnostic for another few years, that moment I think back to as one of those epiphanies where the message was clear to me. There was no god there to help me. No god there to help anyone.

Society and its morals evolve and will continue to evolve. The bible however remains the same and just requires more and more apologetics and claims of "metaphors" and "symbolism" to justify it.

Prayer is like rubbing an old bottle and hoping that a genie will pop out and grant you three wishes.

There is much about this world that is mind boggling and impressive, but I see no need whatsoever to put it down to magical super powered beings.

Check out my website: Recker's World

Talishi
Guru

Re: Your Greatest Epiphanies

Post #3

Post by Talishi »

jgh7 wrote: Some really exciting times in life are when you get epiphanies. When your perception about something completely changes due to an "ah-ha" moment. When some concept hidden to you or that you've been struggling with suddenly "clicks". Or something along those lines.

What have been some of your greatest epiphanies in life?
OT: When in Rome do as the Romans do.
NT: To thine own self be true.

OT: The bigger the better.
NT: Good things come in small packages.

OT: Look before you leap.
NT: He who hesitates is lost.

OT: Clothes make the man.
NT: Never judge a book by its cover.

OT: Out of sight, out of mind.
NT: Absence makes the heart grow fonder.

OT: Better safe than sorry.
NT: Nothing ventured nothing gained

OT: Two’s company three’s a crowd.
OT: The more the merrier.

OT: You can’t teach an old dog new tricks.
NT: It’s never too late to learn.

OT: Don’t let the cat out of the bag.
OT: Has the cat got your tongue?

OT: Let sleeping dogs lie.
NT: Leave no stone unturned.
Thank you for playing Debating Christianity & Religion!