The problem with religious Hospitals

Two hot topics for the price of one

Moderator: Moderators

DanieltheDragon
Savant

The problem with religious Hospitals

Post #1

Post by DanieltheDragon »

Religious institutions are finding new ways to force their values on American citizens. Over the past decade there has been a new push especially from the Catholics to acquire hospitals and merge existing ones under their umbrella. Some pockets in Washington only have access to Catholic run hospitals. Not only do these institutions receive tax payer dollars but they in some cases can maintain religious exemptions as well.

So what happens when you have an emergency that goes against their values? You are denied care.

https://rewire.news/article/2016/08/23/ ... odged-iud/

This woman was fortunate to have had access to a lawyer that could expedite a change in her insurance network. Not all are so lucky changing networks usually at a minimum takes 6 months to occur. The American healthcare system is a mess. What we don't need is a consolidation of care providers under the umbrella of religious zealotry. This is just one example and where does it stop? If they can get away with this what else can these institutions get away with?

Should we continue to allow the monopolization of healthcare by religious institutions?
Post 1: Wed Apr 01, 2015 10:48 am Otseng has been banned
Otseng has been banned for having multiple accounts and impersonating a moderator.

Wootah
Savant

Re: The problem with religious Hospitals

Post #11

Post by Wootah »

[Replying to post 1 by DanieltheDragon]

Hospitals are basically Christian (religious) inventions. Remember that.

From wiki

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_hospitals

The declaration of Christianity as an accepted religion in the Roman Empire drove an expansion of the provision of care. Following First Council of Nicaea in 325 CE construction of a hospital in every cathedral town was begun. Among the earliest were those built by the physician Saint Sampson in Constantinople and by Basil, bishop of Caesarea in modern-day Turkey. Called the "Basilias", the latter resembled a city and included housing for doctors and nurses and separate buildings for various classes of patients.[12] There was a separate section for lepers.[13] Some hospitals maintained libraries and training programs, and doctors compiled their medical and pharmacological studies in manuscripts. Thus in-patient medical care in the sense of what we today consider a hospital, was an invention driven by Christian mercy and Byzantine innovation.[14] Byzantine hospital staff included the Chief Physician (archiatroi), professional nurses (hypourgoi) and the orderlies (hyperetai). By the twelfth century, Constantinople had two well-organized hospitals, staffed by doctors who were both male and female. Facilities included systematic treatment procedures and specialized wards for various diseases.[
Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

Member Notes: viewtopic.php?t=33826

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."

Wootah
Savant

Post #12

Post by Wootah »

DanieltheDragon wrote: [Replying to post 5 by bluethread]
is not money from the federal government. That is money extorted from the citizenry. If one is going argue your point, I would say it is wrong to withhold Medicare/Medicaid from naturopathic procedures. Not only is the government taking my money and giving it to someone else, they are deciding how that money can be spent without my approval.

This is a semantics issue you are having. Whether or not taxes are extortion or not is a separate issue. If a theif gave you money the theif stole. The theif is still the one giving the money not the person who had their money stolen.
So there is no such thing as receiving stolen goods? If I take my money back from a theif did I steal it?
Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

Member Notes: viewtopic.php?t=33826

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."

DanieltheDragon
Savant

Post #13

Post by DanieltheDragon »

[Replying to post 12 by Wootah]
So your saying that Christian hospitals receive stolen goods

I think your missing the point.
Post 1: Wed Apr 01, 2015 10:48 am Otseng has been banned
Otseng has been banned for having multiple accounts and impersonating a moderator.