Questioning Priorities

Creationism, Evolution, and other science issues

Moderator: Moderators

Neatras
Guru

Questioning Priorities

Post #1

Post by Neatras »

I've got a question for the Creationists on this forum, centered on their apparent vehement disapproval for anything that supports the theory of evolution.

What should we do with all the lab equipment, studies, data, and scientific, peer-reviewed journals that don't support your overall opinion on how the world functions?

I've already gotten a fairly general view of how little explanatory power Creationism has, so the main focus of this topic is what we should do with our inquisitive minds.

Creationists, what do you suggest we do about studying the long-term adaptive behaviors of microbial life?

And what about the spontaneous emergence of organic chemicals in nature? What kind of experiments would you like to see performed on that phenomenon?

Should we continue our investigations into fossilized remains, or should we drop all of that in favor of accepting an old book?

I guess what I'm asking is: What do you want to do about actual science, and what kind of things should we do with our time when there are clearly unique and unknown events happening that we can observe and theorize about?

Because the only kind of activity I hear from Creationists is how they want everyone to accept their interpretation of the bible and leave it at that. I never hear about how they'll advance the scientific inquiry, or even pay attention to fossils, genomes, geology, or astronomy the moment they get their way.

It doesn't matter if you don't like what real scientists have to say about evolution, the fact is that the experiments they conduct all work to further our understanding. The results will advance our knowledge, so it is imperative that we continue conducting science, and performing experiments. So even if you got your way, Creationists... what exactly would you want to see change about science in general?

My position for debate: At any point in which Creationists receive a concession that declares special creation by God almighty to be the de facto truth about our origins... They will therefore lose any motivation to pursue the sciences, and will in fact go out of their way to destroy scientific progress by stunting experiments and inquiry, in favor of accepting the word of their holy book.

Convince me otherwise.

Wootah
Savant

Re: Questioning Priorities

Post #2

Post by Wootah »

[Replying to post 1 by Neatras]

Well I would suggest that the organizations that can make use of the data will do so. Why would creationists be worried about data?

Your point for debate is a myth. Creationists and Christians believe in an ordered created universe that testifies to God. Learning about the world, science, was created in that context.
Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

Member Notes: viewtopic.php?t=33826

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."