Meeting Richard Carrier

Chat viewable by general public

Moderator: Moderators

Zzyzx
Site Supporter

Meeting Richard Carrier

Post #1

Post by Zzyzx »

It is not just anyone that I would drive 160 miles (round trip) to meet. However, his bio is impressive (historian, atheist activist, author, public speaker, [debater] and blogger. He has a doctorate in ancient history from Columbia University where his thesis was on the history of science in antiquity).

Yesterday evening I drove to Little Rock. The effort was definitely worthwhile. A small group of us met with him for a couple hours in an informal setting. Richard is bright, knowledgeable, educated, personable, energetic – and in possession of a disciplined mind. There is much greater depth than the brief bio suggests.

He has published:

On the Historicity of Jesus: Why We Might Have Reason for Doubt
Proving History: Bayes's Theorem and the Quest for the Historical Jesus
Why I Am Not a Christian: Four Conclusive Reasons to Reject the Faith
Science Education in the Early Roman Empire
Not the Impossible Faith: Why Christianity Didn't Need a Miracle to Succeed
Sense and Goodness Without God
Hitler Homer Bible Christ: The Historical Papers of Richard Carrier 1995-2013

More information: www.richardcarrier.info and www.amazon.com/Richard-Carrier/e/B001K8LYEM

I am willing to put equal effort into meeting as qualified a Theist / Apologist scholar / debater. Any suggestions?
Non-Theist

ANY of the thousands of "gods" proposed, imagined, worshiped, loved, feared, and/or fought over by humans MAY exist -- awaiting verifiable evidence

Cephus
Prodigy

Post #2

Post by Cephus »

Sorry, not a fan of Carrier. As a scholar, I have a great deal of respect for him, but as a human being, I find him to be an insufferable douchebag.
Want to hear more? Check out my blog!
Watch my YouTube channel!
There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.