Define what is a true Atheist

Getting to know more about a particular group

Moderator: Moderators

OnceConvinced
Savant

Define what is a true Atheist

Post #1

Post by OnceConvinced »

There are many threads on this website asking about what a true Christian is. One thing we have learnt is that even if we just ask the Christians what a true Christian is, none of them seem to be able to come to an agreement on it. We get wide and varied answers.

So let's ask this question to those who identify themselves as atheists.

What makes a true atheist?

Does it involve the disbelief of anything other than gods?

Does it mean that you must declare there is no god?

Apart from not believing in any gods, are their any philosophies, dogma, doctrines and practices that a true atheist should follow?

Should true atheists believe in evolution?

Does being a true atheist require you to rebel against anything or anyone?

Does being a true atheist require you to hate anything or anyone?

Does being a true atheist mean you should want to commit immoral acts?

Society and its morals evolve and will continue to evolve. The bible however remains the same and just requires more and more apologetics and claims of "metaphors" and "symbolism" to justify it.

Prayer is like rubbing an old bottle and hoping that a genie will pop out and grant you three wishes.

There is much about this world that is mind boggling and impressive, but I see no need whatsoever to put it down to magical super powered beings.

Check out my website: Recker's World

TheBeardedDude
Scholar

Re: Define what is a true Atheist

Post #11

Post by TheBeardedDude »

OnceConvinced wrote: There are many threads on this website asking about what a true Christian is. One thing we have learnt is that even if we just ask the Christians what a true Christian is, none of them seem to be able to come to an agreement on it. We get wide and varied answers.

So let's ask this question to those who identify themselves as atheists.

Apart from not believing in any gods, are their any philosophies, dogma, doctrines and practices that a true atheist should follow?

May as well throw my 2 cents in

A-theist = not a theist, an absence of theism, no theistic belief

No. In fact, it is the only term I can think of that is explicitly used to describe something a person doesn't believe in and/or doesn't do. Typically people list attributes of themselves that explain what they do believe and do. I am a humanist liberal democrat who is also a geologist and paleontologist. I wouldn't list all of the political parties I don't affiliate with, nor would I list all of the subjects I haven't studied, etc. Atheism is a term born out of necessity in a world where most are religious. It is much easier to check the box labeled "atheist" on a survey than explain why I don't believe in the other options on said survey.

No. Atheism requires nothing of anyone because it has no dogmas or beliefs.

Nope. Not a single one.

No, they can believe whatever they like.

No. I didn't become an atheist for anyone or in spite of anyone. It just sort of occurred to me.

Nope. I try to be very very selective with how I use the word "hate." It's a very strong word. And I try to be even more selective when applying it to people.

No. For instance, I murder and rape and pillage all I want as an atheist. And the amount I want to do those things is 0, zip, nadda, none.

William
Savant

There are no true atheists

Post #12

Post by William »

There are no true atheists. There is no such thing as a true atheist.

Atheism is just lacking belief in all ideas of gods. Nothing more or less.

Atheism is not about upholding any belief in evolution, wanting to convert others to atheism, criticizing theists etc.
It has no opinion on religion, politics, life, death, morality etc.
One who is an atheist does not have opinions on anything because one is an atheist. Atheism isn't lacking belief in all ideas of gods 'because'. Any reason for lack of belief is not atheism. Any reason for criticism of theism is not atheism. Any reason for trying to convert others to atheism is not atheism.

Perhaps 'a true atheist' might be described as someone who gets on with their life not believing in all ideas of gods and leaving it at that, having no desire or compulsion of any sort to battle with theism.

I don't know. There are no true atheists.

Those who do want to convert others to lack belief in any ideas of gods, criticize theists, uphold the theory of evolution etc, are doing so for other reasons which have naff all to do with atheism.

When such do say in the name of being 'atheist' they are being untruthful.

Atheism isn't lacking belief in all ideas of god AND making it into some kind of personal life mission to tell the world about it or convince non atheists to see the error of their ways.

Demented_Literature
Student

Post #13

Post by Demented_Literature »

A-theism is the absence of theism. It is not the refutation of your beliefs. It is the non-acceptance of your evidence. This means that as an a-theist I do not believe in your beliefs and I do not accept you have shown me relevant evidence because your claim that something exists has a burden of proof that has not been met.

In this way I am an a-unicornist. An a-leprechaunist. An a-godizllaist. And an a-theist. These are all identical stances; and for only one of these have I ever been asked to 'prove it's non existence'.

Someone has a jar filled covered in a cloth. This person then announces 'Within this jar; I have a thousand blue skittles.' and I respond with 'I have not been shown the evidence of this; so I won't accept it until you lift the cloth.'

To equate this to disbelief; the person that owns the jar would then have to respond 'Oh so you don't believe there are ANY skittles in the jar!' to which I would respond 'I do not have evidence for this either. There for I do not believe there are no skittles in the jar either.' and the owner says 'Wait! How can you both believe there is both Skittles, and NO Skittles in the jar!' this is the typical argument often had with religious people over atheism.

It is the refutation of information until proven correct or viable via observable parallels. It is not the assertion (which would require the burden of proof) that it is not possible.

There ARE atheists that believe there is no god; but it is a personal belief and not equated to atheism.

And the divine, and the supernatural. And the spiritual depending on how it's defined ..

As explained above, no.

Atheism is not a group. It does not bind people together as a unity. It is the disbelief of an idea. This means that any atheistic individual is free to do as he wishes and provide context to his own ideas and beliefs. I am personally a nihilist.

No. This is a grouping problem. I see your problem here; Atheist is an identifying group. Sort of like Genetically Male. This question is like saying 'Because you have Xy chromosomes; you should unequivocally believe in this idea.' Atheism is not a group of people that follow any one idea; it is the rejection of a claim.

If you believe in 1 god, you are %99 atheist as you refute all other gods. I as %100 atheist refute all gods.

Absolutely not. I highly recommend you read up on secular humanism as a good primer for why this is simply not the case.

This is something I hear a lot. And I'll propose you this:

Two men, one atheist one christian commit a horrible murder. Each one killing one of two twins in cold blood.

The atheist goes home and sits at the table and buries his head in his hand and cries; remorseful of what he has done. He then turns himself in.

The christian goes to church; he kneels before an altar and prays to god. 'Father I have done a great atrocity. Forgive me.' and is forgiven for his sin.

Which of these two are immoral; the one that has remorse or the one that appeals to another power to seek redemption.