The Mandela Effect

Chat viewable by general public

Moderator: Moderators

jgh7

The Mandela Effect

Post #1

Post by jgh7 »

I was recently introduced to the idea of the Mandela effect by a friend. It's really creepy! Was wondering what others on this site make of it. Just google it and you'll get tons of examples.

Here's a list of 20 by buzzfeed, it's what popped up first for me on google: https://www.buzzfeed.com/christopherhud ... .jmnn7QZ3p

Basically it's mass-level false memories. People have interpreted it as the fabric of reality changing among other way out ideas. But see for yourself and tell me what you think!

In the meantime, I'm gonna make a pb&j with may favorite brand of peanut butter: Jiffy, err I mean Jiff...

Neatras
Guru

Post #2

Post by Neatras »

It's a useless idea. It has no ability to actually predict behaviors, and is constantly twisted to conform to any inconsistencies.

So the claim is that every person who read it as Berenstein magically dropped into a dimension where it was spelled Berenstain. And this occurred for select individuals, via an impossible to measure event, to account for literally one inconsistency between memory and reality.

And it gets dumber. These "reality hops" occur for the most mundane of feats. Someone who swapped from a "Berenstein" world then swaps from a "Queens" world where the song We Are the Champions ends with a different lyric than the one they recall. And then this same person can swap to a "Jif" world, while others who reportedly swapped to a "Berenstain" world, then to a "Queens" world, then to a "KitKat" world reportedly DON'T remember the "Jiffy" world. It's a world of inconsistencies where people with selective memories trade and swap ideas about childhood concepts that ultimately were influenced or modified over the years; yet they're too stubborn to accept faulty memory.

So if someone claims they have gone through worlds A, B, C, D, and E, and another person claims to have gone through worlds A, C, and D, but not E, then what is the logic behind world-swapping? What's more, why are all of these Mandela Effects taking place over the most minute details in spelling?

The simpler explanation is that the first person has selectively mistaken several details that consist of Detail A, B, C, D, and E. While person 2 has selectively altered his memories of A, C, and D. Person 2 has a more effective and accurate memory of the past, and as a result claims he's swapped between less worlds. Not hard to figure out.

Thousands say they remember the last line of Queen's We Are the Champions being "... of the world!" when it is not involved in the song at all. Where on earth could this come from, if not from a parallel universe?

They got it from Crazy Frog.

Similarly, there are countless logical explanations for all of the senseless head-scratching that Mandela Effect proponents do to try and justify their pseudo-scientific non-expertise. Their inability to recognize mistakes in memory, and the human brain's ability to impose patterns on objects that otherwise don't conform to the usual rules (people heard Berenstein and so imposed Berenstein over the word, subconsciously rejecting the actual spelling) is entirely an inadequacy left to them to sort out. But the Mandela Effect is bunk.

rikuoamero
Under Probation

Post #3

Post by rikuoamero »

[Replying to post 2 by Neatras]

For amusement sake, I link to the following video

by The Angry Video Game Nerd (James Rolfe).

Your life is your own. Rise up and live it - Richard Rahl, Sword of Truth Book 6 "Faith of the Fallen"

I condemn all gods who dare demand my fealty, who won't look me in the face so's I know who it is I gotta fealty to. -- JoeyKnotHead

Some force seems to restrict me from buying into the apparent nonsense that others find so easy to buy into. Having no religious or supernatural beliefs of my own, I just call that force reason. -- Tired of the Nonsense

tam
Savant

Post #4

Post by tam »

[Replying to post 2 by Neatras]

Your post had me confused for a minute, lol, making me look up lyrics. Because I definitely remember 'we are the champions of the world' being in the song, We are the Champions, by Queen.

The line is repeated in the song, at the end of the chorus. It just isn't the last line of the song. Since the chorus is what we tend to remember the most of a song, especially a repeated chorus, then it makes sense that people remember it as being the last line of the song.

http://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/queen/we ... pions.html

Not that I am advocating parallel universe swapping or something like that. The explanation of overwriting Berenstein with Berenstain because that is how they heard it pronounced, makes sense.

Peace!