Sacrificial wine

Pointless Posts, Raves n Rants, Obscure Opinions

Moderator: Moderators

Zzyzx
Site Supporter

Sacrificial wine

Post #1

Post by Zzyzx »

Decades ago when I was an undergraduate at a university in Tennessee one of my friends and mentors was an Episcopal chaplain. When first taking that position (from out of state), he inquired how to legally obtain sacrificial wine in a 'dry' area. Fortunately, he learned that there was a provision in state law allowing an ordained minister to order wine through a druggist.

When he tried to order wine, no druggist in the area had ever heard of such a thing and had never had a request to order wine for a minister (and didn't believe it was legal).

HOW did all other ministers obtain wine to use in their services?

They BOOTLEGGED it in like everybody else.
Non-Theist

ANY of the thousands of "gods" proposed, imagined, worshiped, loved, feared, and/or fought over by humans MAY exist -- awaiting verifiable evidence

Divine Insight
Savant

Post #2

Post by Divine Insight »

I live near a winery/pub. They have a really sweet red wine call "Rebel Red". They also have various live musical groups too. There is no admission charge, they figure you'll just drink their wine. :D

Anyway it's GREAT wine! I love it! 8-)

I'm not sure how many grapes were sacrificed to make it but it sure tastes great.

And since it's blood red in color it would probably make a great cult wine for thegan blood rituals. :drunk:
[center]Image
Spiritual Growth - A person's continual assessment
of how well they believe they are doing
relative to what they believe a personal God expects of them.
[/center]

Zzyzx
Site Supporter

Post #3

Post by Zzyzx »

In retrospect it may be that my friend the Padre made his own wine rather than bootleg. I know he made some good home-brew beer -- naughty him in a dry area.

Years later the area voted 'wet' -- but was kept 'dry' for decades by a coalition between preachers and bootleggers -- both had a vested interest . . .

Wine is easy to make -- I did so for years (but stopped using alcohol; even what little I did). In a five gallon water jug -- a gallon of grape juice (from the grocery store), five pounds sugar, a teaspoon or two of baker's yeast (any kind), fill with water. Place a balloon over the jug mouth with a single pin hole (to let out carbon dioxide and keep out contaminants). Let it be for two or three months, shaking occasionally.

That's it. Decent stuff too.
Non-Theist

ANY of the thousands of "gods" proposed, imagined, worshiped, loved, feared, and/or fought over by humans MAY exist -- awaiting verifiable evidence