Christianity - morality or grace

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Wootah
Savant

Christianity - morality or grace

Post #1

Post by Wootah »

"Christianity is not about morality in pursuit of divine reward, but about gratitude in response to God's grace."

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/rendez ... 1cf93a324d

Q: Discuss this quote.
Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

Member Notes: viewtopic.php?t=33826

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."

2timothy316
Under Probation

Post #31

Post by 2timothy316 »

Checkpoint wrote:
2timothy316 wrote: [Replying to post 27 by Checkpoint]

If you're a person that believes that the Bible is God's Word then the fact that Christianous or Χ�ιστιανο�ς is even in the Bible makes the name supported by divine providence.
That may well be, but we cannot put that or any other words into scripture that are not already in the Greek or Hebrew.
The term 'were called' means more in Greek.

chrématizó: to transact business, to make answer
Original Word: χ�ηματίζω
Part of Speech: Verb
Transliteration: chrématizó
Phonetic Spelling: (khray-mat-id'-zo)
Short Definition: I warn, am publicly called
Definition: (originally: I transact business), (a) act. of God: I warn; pass: I am warned by God (probably in response to an inquiry as to one's duty), (b) (I take a name from my public business, hence) I receive a name, am publicly called.

5537 xrēmatíz� (from xrēma, "a legal agreement for transacting business") – properly, to admonish on the basis of a valid standard (what has true worth); used of God admonishing (warning) people – based on what has real value to Him.

So the name Christian can be looked as the 'legal' name according to God. This is why some translations use 'divinely called'. So there is nothing 'added' it's more accurate to use 'called by divine providence' or 'divinely called' because that is what the Greek word implies. Chrématizó has to do with transactions where God is involved. So the translation of 'were called' is lacking the umph that the original Greek word held.

Read more here: http://biblehub.com/greek/5537.htm

Checkpoint
Prodigy

Post #32

Post by Checkpoint »

2timothy316 wrote:
Checkpoint wrote:
2timothy316 wrote: [Replying to post 27 by Checkpoint]

If you're a person that believes that the Bible is God's Word then the fact that Christianous or Χ�ιστιανο�ς is even in the Bible makes the name supported by divine providence.
That may well be, but we cannot put that or any other words into scripture that are not already in the Greek or Hebrew.
The term 'were called' means more in Greek.

chrématizó: to transact business, to make answer
Original Word: χ�ηματίζω
Part of Speech: Verb
Transliteration: chrématizó
Phonetic Spelling: (khray-mat-id'-zo)
Short Definition: I warn, am publicly called
Definition: (originally: I transact business), (a) act. of God: I warn; pass: I am warned by God (probably in response to an inquiry as to one's duty), (b) (I take a name from my public business, hence) I receive a name, am publicly called.

5537 xrēmatíz� (from xrēma, "a legal agreement for transacting business") – properly, to admonish on the basis of a valid standard (what has true worth); used of God admonishing (warning) people – based on what has real value to Him.

So the name Christian can be looked as the 'legal' name according to God. This is why some translations use 'divinely called'. So there is nothing 'added' it's more accurate to use 'called by divine providence' or 'divinely called' because that is what the Greek word implies. Chrématizó has to do with transactions where God is involved. So the translation of 'were called' is lacking the umph that the original Greek word held.

Read more here: http://biblehub.com/greek/5537.htm
Such an excellent response.

I stand corrected. Thankyou!

Today I have indeed learned something.

Interestingly, Biblehub is what I use too, constantly.

From which comes this as well:

Strong's Exhaustive Concordance

instruct, reveal, warn
From chrema; to utter an oracle (compare the original sense of chraomai), i.e. Divinely intimate; by implication, (compare the secular sense of chreia) to constitute a firm for business, i.e. (generally) bear as a title -- be called, be admonished (warned) of God, reveal, speak.

2timothy316
Under Probation

Post #33

Post by 2timothy316 »

[Replying to post 32 by Checkpoint]

It is I who should be thanking you. I learned something today too. I didn't understand why some render the translation differently until you brought it to my attention and did some digging for spiritual gems. O:)

Checkpoint
Prodigy

Post #34

Post by Checkpoint »

2timothy316 wrote: [Replying to post 32 by Checkpoint]

It is I who should be thanking you. I learned something today too. I didn't understand why some render the translation differently until you brought it to my attention and did some digging for spiritual gems. O:)
Our exchange has been a good example of iron sharpening iron, then, huh?!