Sin prevents us from going to heaven?

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

rikuoamero
Under Probation

Sin prevents us from going to heaven?

Post #1

Post by rikuoamero »

It's long been argued on this site that sin supposedly prevents humans from being close with God, from entering heaven etc.
That apparently, the only thing that could, for lack of a better word, destroy sin was Jesus being nailed to a piece of wood.
However, if one reads the Old Testament, we hear of two men: Enoch, the great-grandfather of Noah, and the prophet Elijah going to heaven and being with God.
This is of course LONG before Jesus.

So I'd like to ask...what gives?

Your life is your own. Rise up and live it - Richard Rahl, Sword of Truth Book 6 "Faith of the Fallen"

I condemn all gods who dare demand my fealty, who won't look me in the face so's I know who it is I gotta fealty to. -- JoeyKnotHead

Some force seems to restrict me from buying into the apparent nonsense that others find so easy to buy into. Having no religious or supernatural beliefs of my own, I just call that force reason. -- Tired of the Nonsense

Savant

Re: Sin prevents us from going to heaven?

Post #11

Post by 1213 »

rikuoamero wrote: I'm going to have to ask you to consider the implications of that. What would that mean for the Christian religion, the claims it makes regarding Jesus, and why he apparently just HAD to be crucified?
By what the Bible tells, some people may have been righteous even before Jesus came on earth. Also, I don’t think Bible says “Jesus had to be sacrificed�.

Christian religion may have non Biblical doctrines, I have no reason to defend those, if they are contradictory to what the Bible tells.