Satan: The Big Misconception

Pointless Posts, Raves n Rants, Obscure Opinions

Moderator: Moderators

American Deist
Apprentice

Satan: The Big Misconception

Post #1

Post by American Deist »

In Christianity, Satan is public enemy #1. He is the rebellious, fallen angel that was cast out of Heaven. His role is that of an antagonist on Earth, working against God and tempting us with evil. But is any of that true?

The term 'Satan' comes from the Hebrew 'ha-satan,' and it is actually a title, not a name. In Hebrew, ha = the, and satan = adversary. The correct usage when fully translated into English would be 'the adversary.' Interestingly enough, the YLT version of the Bible, written over 150 years ago, did exactly that. If we are going to translate Yeshua [Hebrew] into Jesus [English], then so should we translate the Hebrew term 'satan' into adversary.

Furthermore, the concept of Satan as the devil is a Christian construct. Judaism does not have that concept. Jewish scholars will tell you that Christians have butchered the role of Satan and made him into something he is not. Many will cite the Book of Job as proof that Satan is evil, but a closer inspection of that story will reveal some startling information. Satan did not go looking for Job; God brought up Job to Satan. God wanted Satan to test Job. To take it a step further, God made the rules for the tests and Satan had no choice but to obey.

God, as the creator of the universe and everything in it, could simply snap those divine fingers and uncreate Satan if he were truly this fallen, arch enemy. There's no need for all the mythology surrounding the story. God could cut right through the red tape and be done with it. Remember, it is God's will that is done in Heaven, so there is no way that an angel(s) could rebel unless God willed it.

Under Judaism (which knows the OT far better than Christianity, as they understand it in Hebrew) Satan is in the role of district attorney. He brings you up on charges of sin, and God sits as the judge and jury. Because God is the omnipotent creator, Satan can't do anything without permission. He is fulfilling his divine role given to him by God.

There was a belief that Hell was inside the Earth. The 1611 KJV kept that belief when it translated Revelation 12:9 and stated that "...he [Satan] was cast out [of Heaven] into the earth." Modern translations have removed "into the earth" and replaced it with "to the earth." It is because of that ancient belief that Heaven was "up" and Hell was "down."

Satan is often referred to as Lucifer. This is also incorrect. The term lucifer is Latin, and the 4th century CE monk named Jerome can be blamed for its usage. In writing his Latin Vulgate for the RCC, he got to Isaiah 14:12 and for reasons unknown, capitalized the L in lucifer, thus making it a proper noun [name]. The 1611 KJV kept the erroneous translation and that has led many people to use it over the years. Modern translations have since removed the term completely after realizing the error.

The term lucifer [Latin] comes from he�sphoros [Greek], and it is in reference to the planet Venus, otherwise known as the dawn star because it can be seen at dawn. Venus is the morning star; the dawn bringer or the light bringer. Interestingly enough, Jesus is also referred to as the morning star [lucifer].

Some will quote Isaiah 14:12 and link it to Luke 10:18, as proof of Satan and his fall from Heaven. However, Isaiah 14:12 is NOT about a fallen angel. The entire chapter is about a fallen Babylonian king, and if you study Judaism you'd understand that. The Jews HATED the Persian Empire, especially Nebuchadnezzar II, since he destroyed the temples in Jerusalem. The writer was mocking the fallen king in his death.

So why do Christians believe in Satan as God's nemesis? Because they want a supernatural boogeyman to blame all the bad stuff on. The irony is that God is the one that causes evil in the world, and even says so in Isaiah 45:7 - "I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things."

Besides, the scrolls that made up what was to become the Bible, were written thousands of years ago. The stories were Earth centric, and did not take into account other planets because they did not know about other planets. They did not have telescopes. What does that have to do with anything? If "Satan" was cast down to the Earth, then every other planet in the universe does not have to worry about him!

How about them apples?! :-k
I am only responsible for what I say, not what you fail to understand!
P.D. Chaplain w/ Th.D., D.Div. h.c.

Youkilledkenny
Sage

Re: Satan: The Big Misconception

Post #11

Post by Youkilledkenny »

[Replying to post 1 by American Deist]

In order for modern Christianity to exist, it needs (among other things) a 'bad guy'. No matter that God is said to have killed millions, had others do his killing or 'allowing' sin to enter his plan and condemn all of mankind w/o us coming to him, bowing down and exclaiming his superiority (he sounds like a winner), so we have 'the devil'. Anyone that (according to one original story of modern Christianity) tries to get God's creation to become knowledgeable about God was hiding MUST be evil right?
Many Christians are violent and need something to be violent against - someone to 'rile against'. The devil is the perfect patsy for that.
Well, that and knowledge.

ttruscott
Site Supporter

Post #12

Post by ttruscott »

American Deist wrote: If we are going to translate Yeshua [Hebrew] into Jesus [English], then so should we translate the Hebrew term 'satan' into adversary.
Jesus is not a translation of Yeshua so... the adversary would be Satanas [Greek] as in 2 Cor 11:14?
PCE Theology as I see it...

We had an existence with a free will in Sheol before the creation of the physical universe. Here we chose to be able to become holy or to be eternally evil in YHWH's sight. Then the physical universe was created and all sinners were sent to earth.

This theology debunks the need to base Christianity upon the blasphemy of creating us in Adam's sin.

Willum
Savant

Post #13

Post by Willum »

[Replying to post 12 by ttruscott]

TS and I agree:
Jesus is not a translation of Joshua.

If it were, it would be identical to the Joshua of the Book of Joshua.

Ieosuous.

Instead it is Iezus.

Reversing Iezus, you'd get Ie.

Where we'd diverge, is, Jesus or Hay Zeus as it is still pronounced today, means to the Latin and Greek comprehending world, mean "hail Zeus."

Satan has many possible roots and origin, and deserves a more broad approach to its examination.
I will never understand how someone who claims to know the ultimate truth, of God, believes they deserve respect, when they cannot distinguish it from a fairy-tale.

You know, science and logic are hard: Religion and fairy tales might be more your speed.

To continue to argue for the Hebrew invention of God is actually an insult to the very concept of a God. - Divine Insight

ttruscott
Site Supporter

Post #14

Post by ttruscott »

American Deist wrote: If "Satan" was cast down to the Earth, then every other planet in the universe does not have to worry about him!
Ummm, yes, we all know that. Earth is the prison planet for all sinners, eternally evil ones and the sinful elect included. That is what is meant by all are sinful, only sinners are born/sown into our world. Your point is...???

We had an existence with a free will in Sheol before the creation of the physical universe. Here we chose to be able to become holy or to be eternally evil in YHWH's sight. Then the physical universe was created and all sinners were sent to earth.

This theology debunks the need to base Christianity upon the blasphemy of creating us in Adam's sin.

Willum
Savant

Post #15

Post by Willum »

[Replying to post 14 by ttruscott]

No, no, no no!
You believe that the Earth is a prison for all sinners.

Those of us who aren't Jews or Christians believe man has a far greater destiny than to be the wretched of some book.

YOU believe man and Earth is a nest of sin, because your God is perfect.

I, and anyone who does NOT believe the Bible, does not believe in sin. Some of us even believe in hope for mankind away from a terracidal capricious God, whom claims to love mankind, even as he drowns it, allows it to suffer for sin, murders countless of innocents, and so on.

The Biblical description of God makes him more of a human abuser, always promising things will be better if you just believe in him, one more time.

That IS the message right? "No more plagues, floods, other sin-induced torture if only you believe?
Here have another dose of sin-induced torture. But it isn't my fault, it's yours..."

...?

otseng
Savant

Post #16

Post by otseng »

Moderator Action

Moved to Random Ramblings. Please review the Rules and Tips on starting a debate topic.

William
Savant

God Doubting Self

Post #17

Post by William »

Why does GOD need adversary?

Self Doubt?

American Deist
Apprentice

Post #18

Post by American Deist »

[Replying to post 10 by Goose]

Judaism does not have a "Satan is the devil" concept.

Plenty of resources out there for you to learn from. I'll link one of many for your viewing pleasure: http://judaism.about.com/od/judaismbasi ... fsatan.htm
I am only responsible for what I say, not what you fail to understand!
P.D. Chaplain w/ Th.D., D.Div. h.c.

ttruscott
Site Supporter

Post #19

Post by ttruscott »

???
You believe that the Earth is a prison for all sinners.

Those of us who aren't Jews or Christians believe man has a far greater destiny than to be the wretched of some book.
Humanity's short time on earth in sin is not our destiny. We were created to be HIS Bride in the heavenly state of communion called a marriage and that promise will be fulfilled in HIS sinful elect when they are made holy having been trained in righteousness and so are heaven ready.

What is your hope you are not the wretched in some book based upon?

YOU believe man and Earth is a nest of sin, because your God is perfect. I, and anyone who does NOT believe the Bible, does not believe in sin.
So??? Does belief create reality?
Some of us even believe in hope for mankind away from a terracidal capricious God, whom claims to love mankind, even as he drowns it, allows it to suffer for sin, murders countless of innocents, and so on.
YHWH does NOT love humanity as a whole but only HIS legitimate children. HIS love for HIS children demands justice against those not HIS children and justice in this case means worldly disasters, and pain and suffering until the final judgement of banishment to the outer darkness. Your understanding of the claims of Christianity misses the mark.
The Biblical description of God makes him more of a human abuser, always promising things will be better if you just believe in him, one more time.
Belief in HIM does not lessen suffering, only holiness...read Heb 12:5-11 where it tells us about the painful scourging (being whipped) of HIS children, ie, believers, to teach them not to choose evil again.
Here have another dose of sin-induced torture. But it isn't my fault, it's yours..."...?
Since [Christianity teaches] all sin was created by the free will choices of HIS creation and not HIMself, then it is not GOD's fault but our own - from a Christian pov your rant is merely is a denial of responsibility for your situation, blaming someone else for your decision.

ttruscott
Site Supporter

Re: God Doubting Self

Post #20

Post by ttruscott »

William wrote: Why does GOD need adversary?

Self Doubt?
GOD needs no adversary at all. HE created ever person with an equal ability and opportunity to become as holy as the angels by their free will. IF everyone had chosen this course (as the angels did), then there would have been no sin, no adversary, no suffering or pain and the heavenly state would have been instituted at the moment!