Why is there no humor among Republicans?

Two hot topics for the price of one

Moderator: Moderators

2Dbunk
Site Supporter

Post #1

Post by 2Dbunk »

Oh, I guess there are exceptions, like when Donald Trump giggled about grabbing a girls (you know what). Or when he cracked a joke in debate with Hillary: "No one has more respect for women than I do!"

Don't get me wrong, there's a lot of humor out there about Trump's administration and how the Republicans are going to deal with it . . . but it's mostly laughing at them rather than laughing with them (If you discount the laughable way He manipulated and played the uptight media in the election and, to a lesser extent, how He played Americans).

But the Man in the High Chair is not laughing at the media now. He is the one who is petulant about the media asking him all kinds of questions, many of them legitimate. But that's the way it has been through history in American politics: the conservatives starting with the Tories have carried the cross of sobriety through the years, placing fearful imaginings after fearful imagining in the pathway of progress. FDR laughed at them as they claimed Social Security will break the treasury (but you'll find very few Republicans that will vote it down today).

Has humor a place somewhere in the Republican Party? Why are Sean Hannity, Gordon Liddy, Ann Coulter and Rush Limbaugh so somber in their daily diatribes?

bluethread
Savant

Re: Why is there no humor among Republicans?

Post #2

Post by bluethread »

2Dbunk wrote:

Has humor a place somewhere in the Republican Party? Why are Sean Hannity, Gordon Liddy, Ann Coulter and Rush Limbaugh so somber in their daily diatribes?
Diatribes are sober by definition. Recently the left has been particularly humorless in their diatribes, especially when it comes to Trump's humor. Are you kidding, there is no humor in Ann Coulter and Rush Limbaugh? I find the things they point out about the left and how they do it quite humorous. That said, referring to them as Republicans is a bit off the mark. Republican refers to party affiliation, not ideology. Along with Trump, Coulter and Limbaugh, there are many on the right with sense of humor, i.e. Tucker Carlson, Greg Gutfeld, Dennis Miller, etc, The problem is that the people on the left believe they are the arbiters of what is and is not funny. If they laugh it is funny. If they don't, it is serious. Sorry, the democracy of modern media has put the lie to that. IMO the fact that we on the right do not laugh at the drivel that the left like to call humor and are rather poking fun at the sacred cows on the left shows that we actually do have sense of humor.

2Dbunk
Site Supporter

Post #3

Post by 2Dbunk »

[Replying to bluethread]

Good for you. Something must keep you guys going and it ain't xxx or weed. No, I don't use that stuff either 'cept for a margarita every other day (maybe two -- depends on how you mix 'em).

But I don't think Donald Trump is laughing much at Alec Baldwin! Here's a good one:
A Domincan Republic newspaper printed a picture of Alec Baldwin in Trump's character, actually believing it to be Trump himself -- now THAT'S funny. Here's another: A conservative friend of mine lost $1,000 bet thinking Hillary was going to win the election, even though he voted for Trump. At least he was able to laugh at himself, but I venture to say few Republicans find that funny.

Trump and the Republicans need to laugh more over some of their antics. Democrats laugh because it helps with the cryin'.
What good is truth if its value is not more than unproven, handed-down faith?

One believes things because one is conditioned to believe them. -Aldous Huxley

Fear within the Religious will always be with them ... as long as they are fearful of death.

bluethread
Savant

Post #4

Post by bluethread »

2Dbunk wrote: [Replying to bluethread]

Good for you. Something must keep you guys going and it ain't xxx or weed. No, I don't use that stuff either 'cept for a margarita every other day (maybe two -- depends on how you mix 'em).
Well, here in Washington, it is agreed that one should have valid ID to purchase weed, but many think there that should not be required to vote. Now, that is funny.
But I don't think Donald Trump is laughing much at Alec Baldwin! Here's a good one:
A Domincan Republic newspaper printed a picture of Alec Baldwin in Trump's character, actually believing it to be Trump himself -- now THAT'S funny.

Yes, it is, given that Alec Baldwin does a terrible Donald Trump. John Di Domenico has been impersonating Donald Trump for 12 years, and does a much better job. However, I am not sure he can be trusted to just fall in line with the leftist bias of the writers on SNL.
Here's another: A conservative friend of mine lost $1,000 bet thinking Hillary was going to win the election, even though he voted for Trump. At least he was able to laugh at himself, but I venture to say few Republicans find that funny.
No, that is quite funny. Maybe the reason he can laugh at himself is that it was a covered bet. Had Hillary won he would need the money, but since Trump did he no doubt earned it back in spades in the stock market run up.
Trump and the Republicans need to laugh more over some of their antics. Democrats laugh because it helps with the cryin'.
I don't know what "antics" you are referring to, but the antics of the Democrats are Hillaryarious. That said, it would be good if the Democrats could laugh at themselves. However, given that many of them hold to the "broken glass" principle of economics, the protests should do wonders for the economy. ;)

Tired of the Nonsense
Site Supporter

Post #5

Post by Tired of the Nonsense »

2Dbunk wrote: Why is there no humor among Republicans?

Oh, I guess there are exceptions, like when Donald Trump giggled about grabbing a girls (you know what). Or when he cracked a joke in debate with Hillary: "No one has more respect for women than I do!"

Don't get me wrong, there's a lot of humor out there about Trump's administration and how the Republicans are going to deal with it . . . but it's mostly laughing at them rather than laughing with them (If you discount the laughable way He manipulated and played the uptight media in the election and, to a lesser extent, how He played Americans).

But the Man in the High Chair is not laughing at the media now. He is the one who is petulant about the media asking him all kinds of questions, many of them legitimate. But that's the way it has been through history in American politics: the conservatives starting with the Tories have carried the cross of sobriety through the years, placing fearful imaginings after fearful imagining in the pathway of progress. FDR laughed at them as they claimed Social Security will break the treasury (but you'll find very few Republicans that will vote it down today).

"If it's a legitimate rape, the female body has ways to shut that whole thing down." Republican Representative for Missouri's 2nd congressional district, Todd Akin

"Now, I'm of the understanding that in many cases of rape it does not involve any pregnancy because of the trauma of the incident." He then added, "That may be true with incest a little bit." Republican Idaho State Representative Pete Nielson

Most successful comedians carefully craft the things that they say in an attempt to draw the biggest laughs. Republicans are perfectly capable drawing huge laughs. The problem is they don't seem to understand why.

George W Bush for example was the perhaps best stand up comedian president of all time. He was even funnier than Abraham Lincoln, who was truly gifted at being witty. Bush was gifted at being laughed at, which is entirely different.

"Our enemies are innovative and resourceful, and so are we. They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we." GW Bush

"There's an old saying in Tennessee - I know it's in Texas, probably in Tennessee - that says, fool me once, shame on - shame on you. Fool me... you can't get fooled again." GW Bush

"Rarely is the questioned asked: Is our children learning?" GW Bush

"I know the human being and fish can coexist peacefully." GW Bush

"It was not a war against Islam or the country of Islamia." GW Bush

"Too many good docs are getting out of the business. Too many OB-GYNs aren't able to practice their love with women all across this country." GW Bush

"I know how hard it is for you to put food on your family." GW Bush

"Families is where our nation finds hope, where wings take dream." GW Bush

"You work three jobs? ... Uniquely American, isn't it? I mean, that is fantastic that you're doing that." GW Bush
https://www.thetoptens.com/dumbest-quot ... ge-w-bush/

In a race to say truly stupid things however, Donald Trump is rapidly catching up. The difference is, GW Bush's humor was derived from his butchered oration. Trump's humor is entirely extemporaneous. Which is to say, derived from making stuff up as he goes along. And then, when the facts prove him wrong, declaring the facts to be "false news." Republicans tend to use "alternate facts" which differ from established facts according to Republican Kellyanne Conway. And that is pretty damn funny. It would be even funnier if it wasn't so terrifying.
Image "The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honorable, but still primitive legends which are nevertheless pretty childish. No interpretation no matter how subtle can (for me) change this." -- Albert Einstein -- Written in 1954 to Jewish philosopher Erik Gutkind.

TheBeardedDude
Scholar

Post #6

Post by TheBeardedDude »

Well, I think most of the Republicans are jokes. Does that count?

On a more serious note, the jokes that a lot of Conservatives find amusing, probably would make a lot of people justifiably angry.

bluethread
Savant

Post #7

Post by bluethread »

TheBeardedDude wrote: Well, I think most of the Republicans are jokes. Does that count?

On a more serious note, the jokes that a lot of Conservatives find amusing, probably would make a lot of people justifiably angry.
How is that different from what a lot of people think of the garbage that a lot on the left think is funny? The left has their lot and the right has there lot. Why the need to castigate one or the other? Let the market decide. Oh yah, that is what conservatives believe.

TheBeardedDude
Scholar

Post #8

Post by TheBeardedDude »

[Replying to post 7 by bluethread]

I answered the OP in the only manner that is possible, by pointing out that what the right end of the political spectrum finds funny, is probably something that those of us on the left find morally reprehensible. I've no doubt that many of my republican friends tell jokes and try to be humorous. I have heard the jokes and think they aren't funny. I think, more often than not, they attempt to appeal to the lowest common denominator and use stereotypes to go after low hanging fruit. (I am only talking about jokes that fit into political views held by the right. There is a lot of humor which one can find overlap between the left and right)

bluethread
Savant

Post #9

Post by bluethread »

TheBeardedDude wrote: [Replying to post 7 by bluethread]

I answered the OP in the only manner that is possible, by pointing out that what the right end of the political spectrum finds funny, is probably something that those of us on the left find morally reprehensible. I've no doubt that many of my republican friends tell jokes and try to be humorous. I have heard the jokes and think they aren't funny. I think, more often than not, they attempt to appeal to the lowest common denominator and use stereotypes to go after low hanging fruit. (I am only talking about jokes that fit into political views held by the right. There is a lot of humor which one can find overlap between the left and right)
Ah, so you think the purpose of this thread is to bash Republicans and not examine the premise of the OP. Now, that is not an attempt to appeal to the lowest common denominator and use stereotypes to go after low hanging fruit, Nooooooooooooo. :tongue:

2Dbunk
Site Supporter

Post #10

Post by 2Dbunk »

[Replying to posts 4 & 7 by bluethread]
No, that is quite funny. Maybe the reason he can laugh at himself is that it was a covered bet. Had Hillary won he would need the money, but since Trump did he no doubt earned it back in spades in the stock market run up.
It is interesting that you mention the stock market run-up. Could it be possible that Wall St. gurus are sensing another war or expansion of existing ones? I just read the very short but to the point book written by General Smedley D. Butler, USMC, "WAR IS A RACKET," written in 1935 (yes, that's his real name -- a family traditional one). He shows the woeful disregard of economics in the panic driven build up to war, where big business increases profits from peacetime's 4% to 12% yearly profits to more like 20% to 1,500% during wartime. Do you think Trump has it within himself to go to war (He's already suggested sending troops into Mexico "to straighten out them bad hombres down there"), or was THAT a joke?.

Even if He was trying to be funny, consider for a moment this very sobering fact: No sitting president has ever been turned out of office during time of war! I've always suspected that Dick Cheney convinced GW Bush to go into Iraq for that reason and " . . . cheap oil." Will Donald Trump's advisers pick up on that fact?
We'll see said the Zen master.
What good is truth if its value is not more than unproven, handed-down faith?

One believes things because one is conditioned to believe them. -Aldous Huxley

Fear within the Religious will always be with them ... as long as they are fearful of death.