Morality question

Ethics, Morality, and Sin

Moderator: Moderators

Wootah
Savant

Morality question

Post #1

Post by Wootah »

Suppose you are the king of a country and that country has a small population of jews that you are happy with.

If there were immigrants that really honestly needed your help to survive but they hated the Jews and would overtime force them out.

Is it moral to protect the Jews or moral to save the refugees?
Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

Member Notes: viewtopic.php?t=33826

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."

benchwarmer
Guru

Re: Morality question

Post #2

Post by benchwarmer »

[Replying to post 1 by Wootah]

I hope this doesn't stray too far from your OP, if so feel free to ignore. I would personally rephrase the question in a broader sense to remove any bias towards any one group. i.e. If a group of people wanted to immigrate into your country, would you allow them to do so knowing that they have serious issues with some of the people currently in your country?

Well, if I was king, one requirement of immigration would be to leave your petty disputes at the border or turn around and go somewhere else. All subjects of my land are to adhere to my rules. If you break said rules (such as being violent with other subjects of my kingdom) you will face the same consequences regardless of where you originally came from. If it's clear you are trying to change our customs or laws to suit your previous culture, you are welcome (and may be forced) to return to the land that enjoyed those customs and laws. Why live here if you want the atmosphere of there?

In short, in my kingdom we are all benchwarmers and if you don't like it, the border has no restrictions on leaving. Attempt to assert your culture or push my subjects out, you will quickly find yourself on the other side of my border.

Bust Nak
Savant

Post #3

Post by Bust Nak »

Wootah wrote: Suppose you are the king of a country and that country has a small population of jews that you are happy with.

If there were immigrants that really honestly needed your help to survive but they hated the Jews and would overtime force them out.

Is it moral to protect the Jews or moral to save the refugees?
I am the king, I say do both.

Divine Insight
Savant

Post #4

Post by Divine Insight »

If I were king of a country the population would be far better educated and these types of petty problems of ignorant bigotries wouldn't be likely to exist. So the problem with your question is that you are assuming that if I were king of a country the society would be similar to what we see in many countries today, but that assumption would already be wrong. And keep in mind here that you proposed a king here, not a democratic president which would be a totally different situation entirely. A democracy would require that the president work with congress and not just make his own laws based on his own whim.
[center]Image
Spiritual Growth - A person's continual assessment
of how well they believe they are doing
relative to what they believe a personal God expects of them.
[/center]

Wootah
Savant

Post #5

Post by Wootah »

[Replying to Divine Insight]

You can educate the immigrants over time perhaps but that might not save the Jews before then.
Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."

Wootah
Savant

Post #6

Post by Wootah »

[Replying to post 3 by Bust Nak]

Import the immigrants and kill the jews. Wow. j/k.

I think you mean import the immigrants and save the jews. Sorry the moral dilemma doesn't allow for it.

Wootah
Savant

Post #7

Post by Wootah »

benchwarmer wrote: [Replying to post 1 by Wootah]

I hope this doesn't stray too far from your OP, if so feel free to ignore. I would personally rephrase the question in a broader sense to remove any bias towards any one group. i.e. If a group of people wanted to immigrate into your country, would you allow them to do so knowing that they have serious issues with some of the people currently in your country?

Well, if I was king, one requirement of immigration would be to leave your petty disputes at the border or turn around and go somewhere else. All subjects of my land are to adhere to my rules. If you break said rules (such as being violent with other subjects of my kingdom) you will face the same consequences regardless of where you originally came from. If it's clear you are trying to change our customs or laws to suit your previous culture, you are welcome (and may be forced) to return to the land that enjoyed those customs and laws. Why live here if you want the atmosphere of there?

In short, in my kingdom we are all benchwarmers and if you don't like it, the border has no restrictions on leaving. Attempt to assert your culture or push my subjects out, you will quickly find yourself on the other side of my border.
I was going to use a mythical name but I also think everyone would know what I am talking about.

Suppose you successfully punish all the criminals and yet the Jews are still ultimately killed. Even if you walk the talk csn you save the Jews? Remember you can't punish a community for one person killing another person.

bluethread
Savant

Post #8

Post by bluethread »

Wootah wrote: Remember you can't punish a community for one person killing another person.
Is this a requirement of the OP? I ask that because that is not an absolute imperative. Communities are quite often punished for one person killing another person, if that community does not take actions to curb that activity. In fact, even if there is no social punishment, those communities are naturally punished with more of that behavior.

benchwarmer
Guru

Post #9

Post by benchwarmer »

Wootah wrote: I was going to use a mythical name but I also think everyone would know what I am talking about.

Suppose you successfully punish all the criminals and yet the Jews are still ultimately killed. Even if you walk the talk csn you save the Jews? Remember you can't punish a community for one person killing another person.
I see what you are saying, but in my kingdom I would not encourage people to remain in groups based on previous affiliations. My previous point was that everyone in my kingdom would be a 'benchwarmer', not a Jew, Gentile, etc. If you live in my kingdom you are of my kingdom and treated equally. Those who choose to ignore that or try to promote otherwise will be shown the door. Those guilty of killing others for whatever reason will be made an example of such that killing of any kind is highly discouraged.

Since it is my kingdom, I can choose to deal extremely harshly with those who would disrupt my realm with petty cultural issues. This would be made clear to all who intend to live in my kingdom. There are advantages to being king :)

In short, I would protect all in my kingdom and have no problem taking in new subjects as long as they are willing to live by my law.

Bust Nak
Savant

Post #10

Post by Bust Nak »

Wootah wrote: [Replying to post 3 by Bust Nak]

Import the immigrants and kill the jews. Wow. j/k.

I think you mean import the immigrants and save the jews. Sorry the moral dilemma doesn't allow for it.
Then my way of life comes first. I choose the status quo over disruption. Immigrants are to comply with the King's will, or they are not to immigrate at all.