Willum sings the oldies

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Willum
Savant

Willum sings the oldies

Post #1

Post by Willum »

In another OP I challenged the forum to come up with Bible passages that weren't either understandable "in plain English," or just plain gobblygook.

User Bluethread responded logically by quoting John 1:1, in Greek, because <sarcasm> obviously, that is a Bible all of us have handy, and is written in obscure and unintelligible English. </sarcasm>

Unfortunately for him, I was able to use understanding of classical (OMG pagan!) writing to translate John 1:1 in a way profound: Where logos is translated "word," and is like a legal word, or will, and it essentially means in creation God used angels who worked for him enthusiastically.

It is from the Babylonian creation story, where the Elohim (gods) choose Marduk, and they work according to his "word."

Challenge:
Pick any obscure Bible verse, you don't get, and I will translate what it means for you. Or not, we'll see, and since I am pretty sure the result will irk', we'll debate.

Willum
Savant

Post #11

Post by Willum »

Willum wrote: [Replying to post 8 by bluethread]

It doesn't bother you at all, that your explanation doesn't say anything? Heck, I can't even remotely understand what you are trying to say, you are invoking things in the wrong order, invoking a language that has been dead twice, from a people whom, really don't have the history they claim to... so you really have no leg to stand on, even if I, or anyone on the forum had the least clue what you were trying to say it meant.

Mine's pretty simple, and consistent. God ordered the universe to form itself up, and it obeyed him. Or he directed angels or other servants to work with him in creation, which they did with one will, and that will was your Gods.
I will never understand how someone who claims to know the ultimate truth, of God, believes they deserve respect, when they cannot distinguish it from a fairy-tale.

You know, science and logic are hard: Religion and fairy tales might be more your speed.

To continue to argue for the Hebrew invention of God is actually an insult to the very concept of a God. - Divine Insight

Willum
Savant

Post #12

Post by Willum »

[Replying to post 8 by bluethread]

Bluethread, you objected to my statement, even though it is perfectly understandable in plain English, you countered with your own, but I don't understand it, could you please rephrase it in plain English?

Or is what you aresaying is that it isn't demonstrable in plain English? In that case, a reasonable man would simply declare it; undemonstrable: rubbish.

Thanks!

Willum
Savant

Post #13

Post by Willum »

So, pick any obscure Bible verse, you don't get, and I will translate what it means for you. Or not, we'll see, and since I am pretty sure the result will irk', we'll debate.
I will never understand how someone who claims to know the ultimate truth, of God, believes they deserve respect, when they cannot distinguish it from a fairy-tale.

You know, science and logic are hard: Religion and fairy tales might be more your speed.

To continue to argue for the Hebrew invention of God is actually an insult to the very concept of a God. - Divine Insight