Unimpressive actions

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Youkilledkenny
Sage

Unimpressive actions

Post #1

Post by Youkilledkenny »

God is said to have done...well....things beyond great. He's said to have created everything (oddly enough he gets no credit for the creation of evil nor the being who is said to have created evil, but that's for another thread).
But when some things in the bible were attributed to him, we see many 'less than impressive' actions.
Take the flood. IF the flood did indeed flood the whole entire planet, that's impressive by human standards for sure. But shouldn't we except a deity such as God to be even more impressive? Maybe some sort of black hole opening up in the earth and swallowing everything he wanted dead instead of water?
Floods are less than spectacular for a being that can do ANYTHING. If I was God, and I wanted people dead, I would be a lot more grand and impressive so that people for the next million years would note what I did. I would want to make an impression that would last for eons. But God didn't seem to do that.
A burning bush that talks and yet isn't consumed? Impressive but bushes burn all the time and some burn for a very long time before they are consumed. While none talk (that I know of anyway) a lot of people hear voices in their head. Did the burning bush have any others that heard the same words, or was it all in his head and only he heard it? Much like Joseph Smith and his reading of those rocks.
As society evolves, we become less impressed with things (horror movie scenes from the 1970s pale in comparison to today) so why wouldn't (shouldn't) we expect God to be more impressive than he has been in the bible?

rikuoamero
Under Probation

Re: Unimpressive actions

Post #61

Post by rikuoamero »

JehovahsWitness wrote:
OnceConvinced wrote: We are conditioned as humans to find certain things beautiful. Who is to say that it is beautiful really? It could be that the majority of this planet is ugly but we just see it as beautiful.
If so, why bother to point out te ugly since it could be that what you see as ugly is really beautiful.

If what is beautiful might not really be beautiful and what ugly is not really ugly..... what point are you making? Apart of course that everythingyou are saying might be moot and meaningless?
Exactly JW.

What point are you making?
You've just refuted your own earlier argument. If you look at certain things in the world, call them beautiful and say "Look at that, I see beauty, I see intelligent design...it MUST have been done by Jehovah God who is loving and wise who deserves my admiration and worship" (if you disagree with the part in quotes, please correct me anywhere you see fit)...but then go on to at least tentatively agree that what is 'beautiful' is just a subjective opinion...what then does that do to your earlier argument regarding God?
Your earlier argument is now on very shaky ground.

Your life is your own. Rise up and live it - Richard Rahl, Sword of Truth Book 6 "Faith of the Fallen"

I condemn all gods who dare demand my fealty, who won't look me in the face so's I know who it is I gotta fealty to. -- JoeyKnotHead

Some force seems to restrict me from buying into the apparent nonsense that others find so easy to buy into. Having no religious or supernatural beliefs of my own, I just call that force reason. -- Tired of the Nonsense