JW organization.

Post #1

Post by Elijah John »

Jehovah's Witnesses are not allowed to:

-vote
-celebrate birthdays
-celebrate Christmas or Easter
-donate or receive blood transfusions.

And if any JW openly persists in doing these things[edit to add publicly], they will be shunned or disfellowshipped, [edit to add or otherwise admonished or disciplined.]

For debate,

1) what do any of these check-list prohibitions have to do with Christianity?

2) And are any of these prohibitions compatible with the idea of Christian freedom?

3) Are these prohibitions arbitrary or legalistic?

4) And could Jehvoah's Witness as an organization flourish without these particular prohibitions and still honor God?

Please address any or all of the above.
Last edited by Elijah John on Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
My theological positions:

-God created us in His image, not the other way around.
-The Bible is redeemed by it's good parts.
-Pure monotheism, simple repentance.
-YHVH is LORD
-The real Jesus is not God, the real YHVH is not a monster.
-Eternal life is a gift from the Living God.
-Keep the Commandments, keep your salvation.
-I have accepted YHVH as my Heavenly Father, LORD and Savior.

I am inspired by Jesus to worship none but YHVH, and to serve only Him.

marco
Savant

Post #261

Post by marco »

Benoni wrote: [Replying to Blastcat]

Again you have no idea what spiritual is so who are you to judge something YOU KNOW NOTHING ABOUT???????

You just like to attack because you have no life.

:warning: Moderator Warning

However much you feel provoked you cannot hurl insults at other posters. If you feel aggrieved, refer the matter to a moderator.

Please review our Rules.

Moderator warnings count as a strike against users. Additional violations in the future may warrant a final warning. Any challenges or replies to moderator postings should be made via Private Message to avoid derailing topics.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Re: JW organization.

Post #262

Post by JehovahsWitness »

Benoni wrote: [Replying to Elijah John]

My walk in Christ is a walk in freedom to seek truth with no system of man controlling what I see and believe. JW religion can be summed up in one word. "BONDAGE". I love it when JW come to my door for within 10 minutes they are running down the street because when spiritual truth is shown to them their old wine skins bust.
Good for you: and how do Jehovah's Witnesses react when YOU come to THEIR door with the gospel?

"You know that I have not hesitated to preach anything that would be helpful to you but have taught you publicly and from house to house." - ACTS 20:20
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

Blastcat
Banned
Banned

Post #263

Post by Blastcat »

[Replying to post 261 by JehovahsWitness]
JehovahsWitness wrote:
Good for you: and how do Jehovah's Witnesses react when YOU come to THEIR door with the gospel?
I don't think all Christians are so rude as to hawk their beliefs at us door to door.

:)

onewithhim
Savant

Post #264

Post by onewithhim »

Blastcat wrote: [Replying to post 252 by onewithhim]

[center]
A Jesus on every street corner.
One for every taste.
[/center]

onewithhim wrote:
If there IS a "true religion," wouldn't that religion be quite different from the rest?
Unfortunately, "different" does not mean "true".

onewithhim wrote:
Most religion today IS "big business." I believe it's all about money and power. With the exception of one religion....mine, of course. :D
Yeah, everyone prefers his own brand.

onewithhim wrote:
LOL....so you've seen JWs on the street? Very good. They would love to be "caught" and have a conversation with you. (Just try to be nice.)
Sometimes, I really don't have the time or the inclination to have a lengthy religious debate.

onewithhim wrote:
David Koresh and Manson: They said a lot of things that the Messiah would NOT say, so they were pretty obviously not the Messiah.
You might have to convince their followers about that one. It might not have been oh so obvious to THEM. You like your messiah, they like theirs.

onewithhim wrote:
Both had sex with just about everybody (Koresh with children); they both fomented hatred toward other people; both were abusive to others, mentally and physically. Jesus was none of those things.
So what?

Different messiahs are different.
You prefer your own brand.

Well, the true Messiah would conform to what the Bible says about him. I correlate all of my thoughts about him to what the Scriptures say.

If Koresh's or Manson's followers had actually taken it upon themselves to study the Bible and compare what it says against what those two charlatans taught, they could have seen that the Messiah would not have committed fornication.

(And I didn't say in my post that to be different would automatically mean "true." I asked: Would not the true religion be different?)

onewithhim
Savant

Post #265

Post by onewithhim »

Benoni wrote: [Replying to Elijah John]

My walk in Christ is a walk in freedom to seek truth with no system of man controlling what I see and believe. JW religion can be summed up in one word. "BONDAGE". I love it when JW come to my door for within 10 minutes they are running down the street because when spiritual truth is shown to them their old wine skins bust.
They are not running down the street because you have shown them their "error." They leave when they ascertain that you are not willing to reason with them by actually considering what it is that they are saying. JWs don't stand and argue. They are looking for people who are willing to listen. No, they are not looking for lap-dogs who don't question anything. They simply look for people who are willing to analyze all points of view, and in a civil manner, not someone who preaches to them about HIS point of view, telling them that they are just plain wrong, without taking the time to observe where they are getting their ideas from.

onewithhim
Savant

Post #266

Post by onewithhim »

Benoni wrote: [Replying to Blastcat]

Again you have no idea what spiritual is so who are you to judge something YOU KNOW NOTHING ABOUT???????

You just like to attack because you have no life.

1 Corinthians 2:
14But the natural, nonspiritual man does not accept or welcome or admit into his heart the gifts and teachings and revelations of the Spirit of God, for they are folly (meaningless nonsense) to him; and he is incapable of knowing them [of progressively recognizing, understanding, and becoming better acquainted with them] because they are spiritually discerned and estimated and appreciated.
That's not very nice, Benoni. I have come to learn that Blastcat is not "attacking" just to attack, but he asks questions that he wants answers to. And how do you know that he "has no life"? You're being a tad judgmental, aren't you?

;)

onewithhim
Savant

Post #267

Post by onewithhim »

Blastcat wrote: [Replying to post 261 by JehovahsWitness]
JehovahsWitness wrote:
I don't think all Christians are so rude as to hawk their beliefs at us door to door.

I don't quite see how this is rude. You have the ability to choose to not answer your door.

After all, this how Jesus trained his disciples to go out, two by two, etc. (Luke 10:1; Luke 8:1; Matthew 10:7,11-14) Apparently you object to how Jesus trained them, and that's your prerogative, but JWs take it seriously because we believe in following Jesus' instructions. Therefore why fault us? O:)

Benoni
Banned
Banned

Post #268

Post by Benoni »

[Replying to onewithhim]

I disagree. I have been part of organization much like the JW religion and yes they mean well but their dogma is nothing but bondage. The idea that God has only one name is so last century where God's people had no way of searching the original language of the Bible, The so called Jehovah God is judgemental to all who is not part of this man made system.

onewithhim
Savant

Post #269

Post by onewithhim »

Benoni wrote: [Replying to onewithhim]

I disagree. I have been part of organization much like the JW religion and yes they mean well but their dogma is nothing but bondage. The idea that God has only one name is so last century where God's people had no way of searching the original language of the Bible, The so called Jehovah God is judgemental to all who is not part of this man made system.
Do you believe the Bible? If you do, and I would think that you would have to, to be making some of the statements you do, then you would have to concede that it contains in the ancient languages the personal name of God, represented in Hebrew as "YHWH." It is pronounced according to people's languages today, and the pronunciations vary, just as your name or my name would be pronounced differently in Spanish or Greek. The most widely known and used pronunciation in the English-speaking world is JEHOVAH, from the rendering in the King James version.

God's name (as the Tetragrammaton, YHWH) has been in the Bible for 3,000 years. It can be seen over 7,000 times in the original Hebrew, and anyone can see it who opens their eyes to look.

How could it be possible that what JWs teach is "bondage"? I feel completely free, and have been for the 43 years I've been a JW. O:)

Benoni
Banned
Banned

Post #270

Post by Benoni »

onewithhim wrote:
Benoni wrote: [Replying to onewithhim]

Do you believe the Bible? If you do, and I would think that you would have to, to be making some of the statements you do, then you would have to concede that it contains in the ancient languages the personal name of God, represented in Hebrew as "YHWH." It is pronounced according to people's languages today, and the pronunciations vary, just as your name or my name would be pronounced differently in Spanish or Greek. The most widely known and used pronunciation in the English-speaking world is JEHOVAH, from the rendering in the King James version.

God's name (as the Tetragrammaton, YHWH) has been in the Bible for 3,000 years. It can be seen over 7,000 times in the original Hebrew, and anyone can see it who opens their eyes to look.

How could it be possible that what JWs teach is "bondage"? I feel completely free, and have been for the 43 years I've been a JW. O:)
They say there are over two hundred different names for God in the Bible and it does not matter if they are a title or a name they are all equally relevant. The first name for God in the Bible is Elohim not Jehovah and the name Jehovah was never even used until the third chapter of Genesis so why does the JW insert/or add things to God’s Word when they know they are altering scripture to push their bias.